An Al x In1−x As/GaAs heterojunction ultra-thin film solar cell with 20% efficiency
- K. A. S. M. Ehteshamul Haque
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An ultra-thin film photovoltaic cell, which incorporates an Al x In1−x As/GaAs heterojunction, is simulated using Adept 1D simulation tool, and it is with an energy conversion efficiency of 20.06% (under 1 sun, AM1.5G illumination) for 604 nm cell thickness (excluding the substrate thickness), and optimized layer thickness and doping concentration for each layer of the device. The device has an n-type AlAs window layer (highly doped), an n-type Al x In1−x As emitter layer and a p-type GaAs base layer. Germanium (Ge) substrate is used for the structure. The device parameters are optimized separately for each layer. Based on these optimizations, the ultra-thin film solar cell design is proposed after careful consideration of lattice mismatch between two adjacent layers of the device.
- J. J. Schermer, G. J. Bauhuis, P. Mulder, E. J. Haverkamp, J. van Deelen, A. T. J. van Niftrik and P. K. Larsen, Thin Solid Films 511, 645 (2006). CrossRef
- M. S. Leite, R. L. Woo, W. D. Hong, D. C. Law and H. A. Atwater, InAlAs Epitaxial Growth for Wide Band Gap Solar Cells, IEEE Proc. 37th Photovolt. Specialists Conf., 780 (2011). CrossRef
- R. People and J. C. Bean, Appl. Phys. Lett. 47, 322 (1985). CrossRef
- J. L. Gray and Michael McLennan, Adept, http://nanohub.org/resources/adept/, 2008.
- M. A. Green, Solid-State Electronics 24, 788 (1981). CrossRef
- M. S. Hossain, N. Amin, M. A. Matin, M. M. Aliyu, T. Razykov and K. Sopian, Chalcogenide Lett. 8, 263 (2011).
- L. Aiguo, D. Jianning, Y. Ningyi, W. Shubo, C. Guanggui and L. Chao, J. Semicond. 33, 023002 (2012). CrossRef
- M. Wolf, High Efficiency Silicon Solar Cells, IEEE Proc. 14th Photovolt. Specialists Conf., 674 (1980).
- C. Lee, H. Efstathiadis, J. E. Raynolds and P. Haldar, Two-Dimensional Computer Modeling of Single Junction a-Si:H Solar Cells, IEEE Proc. 34th Photovolt. Specialists Conf., 1118 (2009).
- An Al x In1−x As/GaAs heterojunction ultra-thin film solar cell with 20% efficiency
Volume 9, Issue 3 , pp 177-180
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Tianjin University of Technology
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- K. A. S. M. Ehteshamul Haque (12375)
- Author Affiliations
- 12375. Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Islamic University of Technology Board Bazar, Gazipur, 1704, Bangladesh