Research on vacuum gripper based on fuzzy control for micromanipulators
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper presents a vacuum gripper (as an actuator of an intelligent micromanipuktor) for micro objects (with a diameter of 100 ∼ 300µm) assembly tasks. The gripper is composed of a vacuum unit and a control unit. The vacuum unit with a proportional valve and a pressure sensor, and the control unit with a PC+MCU two-layered control architecture are designed. The mechanical structure, workflow and major programs of the micro-gripper are presented.
This paper discusses the major components of the adhesion force acting on micro objects. Some equations of the operation conditions in three phases of pick, hold and place are derived by mechanics analysis. The pneumatic system s pressure loss is inevitable. There are some formulas for calculating the amount of the pressure loss, but parameters in formulas are difficult to be quantified and evaluated. To control the working pressure accurately, a pressure controller based on fuzzy logic is designed. With MATLAB’s fuzzy logic toolbox, simulation experiments are performed to validate the performance of the fuzzy PD controller.
The gripper is characterized by a steady and reliable performance and a simple structure, and it is suitable for handling micro objects with a sub-millimeter size.
- S. Ku, S. E. Salcudean. Design and control of a teleoperated microgripper for icrosurgery [C] // Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation. Minneapolis, Minnesota, 1996, 1:889–894.
- W. Zesch, M. Brunner, A. Weber. Vacuum tool for handling micro-objects with a nanorobot [C] // Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation. Albuquerque, New Mexico, 1997,2:1761–1766.
- A. Menciassi, A. Eisinberg, I. Izzo, et al. From “macro” to “micro” manipulation: models and experiments [J]. IEEE/ASME Trans. on Mechatronics, 2004,9(2): 311–320. CrossRef
- S. H. Lee, K. C. Lee, S. S. Lee, et al. Fabrication of an electrothermally actuated electrostatic microgripper [C] // 12th Int. Conf. on Trans. Solid-State Sensors, Actuators and Microsystems. Boston, 2003,1:552–555. CrossRef
- Z. Han, Y. Bellouard, E. Burdet, et al. Shape memory alloy microgripper for robotic microassembly of tissue engineering scaffolds [C] // Proc. of IEEE Int. Conf. on Robotics and Automation. New Orleans, LA, 2004, 5: 4918–4924.
- Deok-Ho Kim, Byungkyu Kim, Hyunjae Kang et al. Development of a piezoelectric polymer-based sensorized microgripper for microassembly and micromanipulation [C] // Proc. IEEE/RSJ Int. Conf. on Robots and Systems. Las Vagas, Nevada, 2003,2:1864–1869.
- Huang Xinhan, Wang Min, Peng Gang et al. Research on Intelligent Manipulator for Micro-Target Assembly Tacks [J]. Computer Science, 2002,8(10):53–58.
- N. Tsourveloudis, R. Kolluru, K. Valavanis. Fuzzy control of a suction-based robotic gripper system [C]// Proc. of the IEEE Int. Conf. on Control Applications. Trieste, Italy, 1998,1:653–657.
- E. Sanchez, L. A. Nuno, Ya-Chen Hsu, et al. Fuzzy PD Scheme for Under actuated Robot Swing-up Control [C] // Proc. of IEEE World Congress on Computational Intelligence. 1998,1:302–306. CrossRef
- Research on vacuum gripper based on fuzzy control for micromanipulators
Journal of Control Theory and Applications
Volume 3, Issue 3 , pp 295-301
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Editorial Board of Control Theory & Applications
- Additional Links
- Micro assembly
- Vacuum micro gripper
- Fuzzy PD