Repeated embolization of intercostal arteries after blunt chest injury
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To deal with an arterial bleeding from the chest wall after a blunt chest injury, embolization of the bleeding arteries can be a valuable therapeutic option, which is less invasive than a thoracotomy. However, its results are variable, being highly operator-dependent. In the present case, we performed successful emergency embolization of the 4th and 5th intercostal arteries for persistent hemorrhage following blunt trauma to the chest. Several days after the first embolization, secondary embolization was required for treating a pseudoaneurysm that was formed in the 5th intercostal artery. Although the mechanisms underlying pseudoaneurysm formation are not clearly understood, its rupture is potentially fatal. Therefore, it is essential to carefully follow-up patients who experience blunt chest injury to avoid this serious complication.
- Hagiwara A, Yanagawa Y, Kaneko N, Takasu A, Hatanaka K, Sakamoto T, et al. Indications for transcatheter arterial embolization in persistent hemothorax caused by blunt trauma. J Trauma. 2008;65:589–94. CrossRef
- Livingston DH, Hauser CJ. Trauma to the chest wall and lung. In: Moore EE, Feliciano DV, Mattox KL, editors. Trauma. 5th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill Companies; 2004. p. 522–3.
- Miettinen S, Hakala T. Traumatic intercostal arterial bleeding controlled with a novel surgical technique: a case report. J Med Case Rep. 2012;6:318. CrossRef
- Long SS, Johnson PT, Fishman EK. Intercostal artery pseudoaneurysm due to thoracentesis: diagnosis with three-dimensional computed tomographic angiography. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2012;36:100–2. CrossRef
- Sekino S, Takagi H, Kubota H, Kato T, Matsuno Y, Umemoto T. Intercostal artery pseudoaneurysm due to stab wound. J Vasc Surg. 2005;42:352–6. CrossRef
- Kipfer B, Lardinois D, Triller J, Carrel T. Embolization of a ruptured intercostal artery aneurysm in type I neurofibromatosis. Eur J Cardiothorac Surg. 2001;19:721–3. CrossRef
- Chang WC, Hsu HH, Chang H, Chen CY. Spontaneous hemothorax caused by a ruptured intercostal artery aneurysm in von Recklinghausen’s neurofibromatosis. J Formos Med Assoc. 2005;104:286–9.
- Aoki T, Okada A, Tsuchida M, Hayashi J. Ruptured intercostal artery pseudoaneurysm after blunt thoracic trauma. Thorac Cardiovasc Surg. 2003;51:346–7. CrossRef
- Muthuswamy P, Samuel J, Mizock B, Dunne P. Recurrent massive bleeding from an intercostal artery aneurysm through an empyema chest tube. Chest. 1993;104:637–9. CrossRef
- Kim JH, Yeon JE, Jong YK, Seo WK, Cha IH, Seo TS, et al. Spinal cord injury subsequent to transcatheter arterial chemoembolization in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. Dig Liver Dis. 2010;42:67–70. CrossRef
- Repeated embolization of intercostal arteries after blunt chest injury
General Thoracic and Cardiovascular Surgery
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Japan
- Additional Links
- Blunt chest injury
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Emergency and Critical Care Medicine, Fukushima Medical University School of Medicine, Hikarigaoka-1, Fukushima, Fukushima, 960-1295, Japan