Isothermal crystallization of hydrogenated sunflower oil: I—Nucleation
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Nucleation kinetics of sunflower seed oil, which was hydrogenated under two different conditions, was studied by means of a polarized light microscope and an optical setup with a laser as the light source. When the laser was used, observed induction times were shorter than the ones measured by the microscope. The laser method was found to be more sensitive and accurate. Two different crystallization behaviors were found depending on the chemical composition of the samples. Samples with high content of trielaidin crystallized in the β form at temperatures close to the melting points. They exhibited both β′ and β forms depending on crystallization temperature, as happens in natural semisolid fats such as palm oil. Samples with high content of mixed oleic and elaidic triacylglycerols crystallized in the β′ form even at temperatures close to the melting points and they did not show β form under the conditions used in this study. Activation free energies of nucleation for hydrogenated sunflower seed oil were low for the two hydrogenation conditions. It can be concluded that nucleation of sunflower seed oil is a fast process and initially needs low supercooling. These results are also important from a practical point of view for processing design, especially in regards to processes in which fats should be completely crystallized by the end of the production line.
- Haumann, B.F., Tools Hydrogenation, Interesterification, INFORM 5:668–678 (1994).
- Rodrigo, M.T., and S. Mendioroz, A New Catalyst for the Selective Hydrogenation of Sunflower Seed Oil, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 69:802–805 (1992).
- Allen, R.R., Hydrogenation, Ibid.:166–169 (1981). CrossRef
- Lawson, H., Physical Properties, in Food Oils and Fats, edited by H. Lawson, Chapman & Hall, New York, 1995, p. 29.
- Hartel, R.W., Applications of Milk-Fat Fractions in Confectionary Products, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 73:945–953 (1996). CrossRef
- Larsson, K., Lipids in the Solid State, in Lipids—Molecular Organization, Physical Functions and Technical Applications, edited by K. Larsson, The Oily Press, Glasgow, 1994, p. 38.
- Brimberg, U., The Kinetics of Melting Crystallization of Cocoa Butter, Fette Seifen Anstrichm. 87:295–301 (1985). CrossRef
- Hachiya, I., T. Koyano, and K. Sato, Seeding Effects on Solidification Behavior of Cocoa Butter and Dark Chocolate. I—Kinetics of Solidification, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 66:1757–1762 (1989).
- Hachiya, I., T. Koyano, and K. Sato, Seeding Effects on Crystallization Behavior of Cocoa Butter, Agric. Biol. Chem. 53:327–332 (1989).
- Hausmann, A., H.D. Tscheuschner, and I. Tralles, Influence of Cooling Conditions on Crystallization of Chocolate, Zucker Süsswaren Wirtsch. 46:492–498 (1993).
- Chaiseri, S., and P.S. Dimick, Dynamic Crystallization of Cocoa Butter. I—Characterization of Simple Lipids in Rapid- and Slow-Nucleating Cocoa Butters and Their Seed Crystals, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 72:1491–1496 (1995). CrossRef
- Chaiseri, S., and P.S. Dimick, Dynamic Crystallization of Cocoa Butter. II—Morphological, Thermal, and Chemical Characteristics During Crystal Growth, Ibid.:1497–1504 (1995). CrossRef
- Ng, W.L., A Study of the Kinetics of Nucleation in a Palm Oil Melt. Ibid.:879–882 (1990). CrossRef
- Ng, W.L., and C.H. Oh, A Kinetic Study on Isothermal Crystallization of Palm Oil by Solid Fat Content Measurements, Ibid.:1135–1139 (1994).
- van Putte, K.P.A.M., and B.H. Bakker, Crystallization Kinetics of Palm Oil, Ibid.:1138–1143 (1987). CrossRef
- Grall, D.S., and R.W. Hartel, Kinetics of Butterfat Crystallization, Ibid.:741–747 (1992).
- Smith, K.W., J.M. Perkins, B.S.J. Jeffrey, and D.L. Phillips, Separation of Molecular Species of cis- and trans- Triacylglycerols in trans-Hardened Confectionery Fats by Silver-Ion High-Performance Liquid Chromatography, Ibid.:1219–1222 (1994). CrossRef
- Herrera, M.L., Crystallization Behavior of Hydrogenated Sun-flowerseed Oil: Kinetics and Polymorphism, Ibid.:1255–1260 (1994). CrossRef
- Desmedt, A., Etude des Propriétés Structurales et Thermiques de Triglycérides Purs et en Présence d’Emulsifiants. Influence de la Nature de la Chaîne en C 18 et Application au Phénomène de Blanchiment, Ph.D. Thesis, Facultés Universitaires, Notre-Dame de la Paix, Namur, 1993.
- Isothermal crystallization of hydrogenated sunflower oil: I—Nucleation
Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society
Volume 75, Issue 10 , pp 1273-1280
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- isothermal crystallization
- sunflower seed oil
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Centro de Investigación y Desarrollo en Criotecnología de Alimentos (CIDCA) (UNLP - CONICET), La Plata 1900, Provincia de Buenos Aires, Argentina
- 2. Molinos Río de La Plata S.A., 1323, Buenos Aires, Argentina