Castor oil dehydration kinetics
- F. Seniha Guner
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The dehydration reaction kinetics of castor oil was investigated with sodium bisulfate-sodium bisulfite mixture (SB-SB) or p-toluenesulfonic acid as catalyst. Reactions were carried out at 210, 220, and 230°C, and a kinetic model was determined for each case. The reactions with SB-SB catalyst at 210 and 220°C and with p-toluenesulfonic acid at 210°C followed second-order kinetics. A first-order rate equation showed the best fit to the experimental data for the reaction with SB-SB at 230°C. p-Toluenesulfonic acid-catalyzed reactions at 220 and 230°C were also first-order reactions. Additionally, some mathematical equations were derived between iodine value, refractive index, viscosity, and reaction time.
- Mark, H.F., D.F. Othmer, C.G. Overberger, and G.T. Seaborg (eds.), Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology, 3rd edn., Vol. 5, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1979, pp. 1–15.
- Bailey’s Industrial Oil and Fat Products, 4th edn., Vol. 1, edited by D. Swern, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1982, pp. 735–740.
- Scheiber, J., Rational Syntheses in the Field of Drying Oils, Angew. Chem. 46:643–647 (1933). C.A. 28:348 (1934).
- Priest, G.W., and J.D. Von Mikusch, Composition and Analysis of Dehydrated Castor Oil, Ind. Eng. Chem. 32(10):1314–1319 (1940). CrossRef
- Terrill, R.L., Dehydration of Castor Oil, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 27:477–481 (1950). CrossRef
- Civelekoglu, H., and A.T. Erciyes, 6th Congress of Scientific and Industrial Research Council of Turkey, Tubitak Publications, No. 388, Ankara, 1978, pp. 277–290.
- Naughton, F.C., Production, Chemistry and Commercial Application of Various Chemicals from Castor Oil, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 51:65–70 (1974).
- Schwarcmann, A. (to Spencer Kellogg and Sons), U.S. Patent 2,140,271 (1939).
- Schwarcmann, A. (to Spencer Kellogg and Sons), U.S. Patent 2,282,892 (1940).
- Munzel, F., Swiss Patent 201,931 (1937).
- Radlove, S.B., W. DeJong, and L.B. Falkenburg, A Continuous Process for the Dehydration of Castor Oil, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 25:268–271 (1948). CrossRef
- Colbeth, I.M. (to The Baker Castor Oil Co.), U.S. Patent 2,392,119 (1946).
- Hawke, F., and L.B. Kohll, Catalyzed Dehydration of Ricinoleic Acid, J.S. African Chem. Inst. 12:17–25 (1959).
- Waheeduddin, M., M.A. Siva Samban, and J.S. Aggarwal, Comparative Study of Some Catalysts for the Dehydration of Castor Oil, Paintindia 16(5):24–26 (1966).
- Modak, S.N., and I.G. Kane, Studies in Estolides. I. Kinetics of Estolide Formation and Decomposition, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 42:428–432 (1965). CrossRef
- Penoyer, C.E., W. von Fischer, and E.G. Bobalek, Synthesis of Drying Oils by Thermal Splitting of Secondary Fatty Acid Esters of Castor Oil, Ibid.:366–370 (1954). CrossRef
- Grummitt, O., and H. Fleming, Acetylated Castor Oil, Ind. Eng. Chem. 37:485–491 (1950). CrossRef
- Nessler, F.G. (to The Sherwin-Williams Co.), U.S. Patent 2,336,186 (1943).
- Erciyes, A.T., L. Dandik, and F.S. Erkal, The Decomposition of Secondary Esters of Castor Oil with Fatty Acids, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 68:642–645 (1991).
- Erciyes, A.T., F.S. Erkal, and A. Kalipci, Oil-Modified Alkyd Type Resin Based on Secondary Esters of Castor Oil, J. Coatings Tech. 65(824):73–78 (1993).
- Achaya, K.T., Chemical Derivatives of Castor Oil, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 48:758–763 (1971). CrossRef
- Cocks, L.V., and C. van Rede, Laboratory Handbook for Oil and Fat Analysts, Academic Press, London and New York, 1966.
- Kaufmann, H.P., Analyse der Fett u. Fettprodukte, Vol. 1, Springer Verlag, Berlin, 1958, pp. 581–582.
- Protective and Decorative Coatings, Vol. 1, edited by J.J. Mattiello, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1944, pp. 362–405.
- Castor oil dehydration kinetics
Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society
Volume 74, Issue 4 , pp 409-412
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Castor oil
- dehydrated castor oil
- Industry Sectors
- F. Seniha Guner (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Chemical Engineering Department, Istanbul Technical University, 80626, Maslak - Istanbul, Turkey