Modification of the Avrami model for application to the kinetics of the melt crystallization of lipids
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The Avrami model was developed to model the kinetics of crystallization and growth of a simple metal system. The original assumptions of the model do not apply for high-volume-fraction crystallizing lipids, although it is incorrectly and frequently applied. A modified form of the Avrami model, wellsuited to complex lipid crystallization kinetics, is developed. It produces excellent fits to experimental data and allows the prediction of physically meaningful parameters, such as changes in nucleation rate and type, growth rate, morphology, and dimensionality. Morphological changes highlighted by time-resolved temperature-controlled polarized light microscopy support its application to crystallizing lipids. The kinetics of crystallization for six separate lipid samples were monitored by pulsed NMR, and fits were performed using the classical and modified Avrami model. In all cases, the modified model provided superior fits to the data compared with that of the classical model. The modified model supports the theory that lipids crystallize and grow into networks via very specific growth modes. Furthermore, the case is made that it is useful for interpreting crystallization kinetics of other systems such as polymer melts, which have nonconstant growth rates, dimensionalities, and nucleation conditions, and whose growth become diffusion-limited within specific regimes.
- Poisson, S.D., Recherches sur la probabilité des jugements en matière criminelle et en matière civile, Bachelier, Paris, 1837.
- Kolmogoroff, A.N., On the Statistical Theory of Metal Crystallization, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR. Ser. Math. 1:335–360 (1937).
- Johnson W.A., and R.F. Mehl, Reaction Kinetics in Processes of Nucleation and Growth, Trans. Am. Inst. Min. Metall. Eng. 135:416–442 (1939).
- Evans, U.R., Laws of Expanding Circles and Spheres in Relation to the Lateral Growth of Surface Films and the Grain Size of Metals, Trans. Faraday Soc. 41:365–374 (1945). CrossRef
- Sharples, A., Overall Kinetics of Crystallization, in Introduction to Polymer Crystallization, edited by A. Sharples, Edward Arnold Ltd., London, 1966, pp. 44–59.
- Christian, J.W., The Theory of Transformations in Metals and Alloys, Pergamon Press, London, 1975.
- Achilias, D.S., G.Z. Papageorgiou, and G.P. Karayannidis, Isothermal and Nonisothermal Crystallization Kinetics of Poly(propylene terephthalate), J. Polym. Sci. B-Polym. Phys. 42 3775–3796 (2004). CrossRef
- Avrami, M., Kinetics of Phase Change. I. General Theory, J. Chem. Phys. 7:1103–1112 (1939). CrossRef
- Avrami, M., Kinetics of Phase Change. II. Transformation-Time Relations for Random Distribution of Nuclei, —Ibid. 8:212–224 (1940). CrossRef
- Avrami, M., Granulation, Phase Change and Microstructure. Kinetics of Phase Change. III, —Ibid. 9:177–184 (1941). CrossRef
- Woldt, E., The Relationship Between Isothermal and Non-isothermal Description of Johnson-Mehl-Avrami-Kolmogorov Kinetics, J. Phys. Chem. Solids 53:521–527 (1992). CrossRef
- Cheng, S.S.D., and B. Wunderlich, Modification of the Avrami Treatment of Crystallization to Account for Nucleus and Interface. Macromolecules 21:3327–3328 (1988). CrossRef
- Khanna, Y., and T. Taylor, Comments and Recommendations on the Use of the Avrami Equation for Physico-chemical Kinetics, Polym. Eng. Sci. 28:1042–1045 (1988). CrossRef
- Metin, S., and R. Hartel, Thermal Analysis of Isothermal Crystallization Kinetics in Blends of Cocoa Butter with Milk Fat or Milk Fat Fractions, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 75:1617–1624 (1998).
- Toro-Vazquez, J., E. Dibildox-Alvarado, M. Charo-Alonso, V. Herrera-Coronado, and C. Gomez-Aldapa, The Avrami Index and the Fractal Dimension in Vegetable Oil Crystallization, —Ibid. 79:855–866 (2002). CrossRef
- Toro-Vazquez, J., E. Dibildox-Alvarado, V. Herrera-Coronado, and M. Charo-Alonso, Triacylglyceride Crystallization in Vegetable Oils: Application of Models, Their Measurements, and Limitations, in Crystallization and Solidification Properties of Lipids, edited by N. Widlak, R. Hartel, and S. Narine, AOCS Press, Champaign, Illinois, 2001, pp. 53–78.
- Herrera, M., C. Falabella, M. Melgarejo, and M. Añon, Isothermal Crystallization of Hydrogenated Sunflower Oil: II. Growth and Solid Fat Content, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 76:1–6 (1999).
- Dibildox-Alvarado, E., and J. Toro-Vazquez, Isothermal Crystallization of Tripalmitin in Sesame Oil, —Ibid. 74:69–76 (1997).
- Narine, S.S., and A.G. Marangoni, Microstructure, in Fat Crystal Networks, editd by A.G. Marangoni, Marcel Dekker, New York, 2004, pp. 179–255.
- Vanhoutte, B., I. Foubert, F. Duplacie A. Huyghebaert, and K. Dewettinck, Effect of Phospholipids on Isothermal Crystallization and Fractionation of Milk Fat, Eur. J. Lipid Sci. Technol. 104:738–744 (2002). CrossRef
- Campos, R., S. Narine, and A.G. Marangoni, Effect of Cooling Rate on the Structure and Mechanical Properties of Milk Fat and Lard, Food Res. Int. 35:971–981 (2002). CrossRef
- Graydon, J., S. Thorpe, and D. Kirk, Determination of the Avrami Exponent for Solid State Transformations from Non-Isothermal Differential Scanning Calorimetry. J. Non-Cryst. Solids 175:31–43 (1994). CrossRef
- Chong, C., Crystallization of Palm Oil Products, in Crystallization and Solidification Properties of Lipids, edited by N. Widlak, R. Hartel, and S. Narine, AOCS Press, Champaign, Illinois, 2001, pp. 110–119.
- Ng, W., and C. Oh, A Kinetic Study on Isothermal Crystallization of Palm Oil by Solid Fat Content Measurements, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 71:1135–1139 (1994).
- Herrera, M., M. de Leon Gatti, and R. Hartel, A Kinetic Analysis of Crystallization of a Milk Fat Model System, Food Res. Int. 32:289–298 (1999). CrossRef
- Marangoni, A.G., On the Use and Misuse of the Avrami Equation in Characterization of the Kinetics of Fat Crystallization, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 75:1465–1467 (1998).
- Foubert, I., K. Dewettinck, and P.A. Vanrolleghem, Modelling of the Crystallization Kinetics of Fats, Trends Food Sci. Technol. 14:79–92 (2003). CrossRef
- Martini, S., M. Herrera, and R. Hartel, Effect of Cooling Rate on Crystallization Behavior of Milk Fat Fraction/Sunflower Oil Blends, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 79:1055–1062 (2002). CrossRef
- Modification of the Avrami model for application to the kinetics of the melt crystallization of lipids
Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society
Volume 83, Issue 11 , pp 913-921
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Avrami model
- Industry Sectors