Extraction of egg-yolk lecithin
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this research, the extraction of egg-yolk lecithin with ethanol was studied. Extraction was performed with deoiled and undeoiled yolks and with heated and unheated yolks. The yield of the extracted fraction relative to the initial material, phospholipid (PL) purity, and cholesterol content of both the PC-enriched fractions and the remaining PL fractions were determined. The yield and PL purity of the PC-enriched fractions obtained from the undeoiled yolks were 23.9 and 35.7%, and those obtained from deoiled yolks were 13.5 and 53.3%. The recovery of total PL in the two fractions was higher from the undeoiled (70%) than from the deoiled yolks (60%). However, heating had a negligible effect on PL extraction. Better enrichment of PC was observed by extraction from the undeoiled than from the deoiled yolks. The cholesterol content of the PC-enriched fraction obtained from the undeoiled yolks was much higher than that from the deoiled yolks.
- American Egg Board, Egg Products Reference Guide, http://www.aeb.org (accessed November 15, 2002).
- Chi, Y., and S. Lin, Research Advances in Extraction and Application of Egg-Yolk Lecithin, Food Ferment. Ind. 28:50–53 (2002).
- Sim, J.S., New Extraction and Fractionation Method for Lecithin and Neutral Oil from Egg Yolk, in Egg Uses and Processing Technologies, edited by J.S. Sim and S. Nakai, CAB International, Wallingford, United Kingdom, 1994, pp. 128–138.
- Jiang, Y., S.K. Noh, and S.I. Koo, Egg Phosphatidylcholine Decrease the Lymphatic Absorption of Cholesterol in Rats, J. Nutr. 131:2358–2363 (2001).
- Sugino, H., M. Ishikawa, T. Nitoda, M. Koketsu, L.R. Juneja, M. Kim, and T. Yamamoto, Antioxidative Activity of Egg Yolk Phospholipids, J. Agric. Food Chem. 45:551–554 (1997). CrossRef
- Larsen, J.E., and G.W. Froning, Extraction and Processing of Various Components from Egg Yolk, Poultry Sci. 60:160–167 (1981).
- Tokarska, B., and M.T. Clandinin, Extraction of Egg Yolk Oil of Reduced Cholesterol Content, Can. Inst. Food Sci. Technol. J. 18:256–258 (1985).
- Sim, J.S., Extraction of Fresh Liquid Egg Yolk, Canadian Patent 1,335,054 (1995).
- Miyata, K., and H. Matsumoto, Manufacture of Purified Egg-Yolk Lecithins, Japanese Patent 2,001,072,693 (2001).
- Nielsen, H., In situ Phase Extraction of Phospholipids from Heat-Coagulated Egg Yolk by Organic Solvents, Lebensm.-Wiss. Technol. 34:526–532 (2001). CrossRef
- Nielsen, H., In situ Solid Phase Extraction of Lipids from Spray-Dried Egg Yolk by Ethanol with Subsequent Removal of Triacylglycerols by Cold Temperature Crystallization, 67:613–618 (2004). CrossRef
- Hruschka, S.M., S. Kirchner, J. Rassenhovel, and W. Witt., Method for the Fractionation of Oil and Polar Lipid-Containing Native Raw Materials, U.S. Patent Application 20,030,054,084 (2003).
- Wu, Y., and T. Wang, Soybean Lecithin Fractionation and Functionality, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 80:319–326 (2003).
- Warren, M.W., H.G. Brown, and D.R. Davis, Solvent Extraction of Lipid Components from Egg Yolk Solids, 65:1136–1139 (1988).
- AOCS, Official Methods and Recommended Practices of the American Oil Chemists' Society, 4th edn., AOCS Press, Champaign, IL, 1994.
- Folch, J., M. Lees, and G.H. Sloane Stanley, A Simple Method for the Isolation and Purification of Total Lipids from Animal Tissues, J. Biol. Chem. 226:497–509 (1957).
- Statistical Analysis System, SAS Institute, Cary, NC, 1999–2001.
- Schneider, M., Fractionation and Purification of Lecithin, in Lecithins: Sources, Manufacture & Uses, edited by B.F. Szuhaj, AOCS Press, Champaign, IL, 1989, pp. 109–130.
- Fatemi, S.H., and E.G. Hammond, Analysis of Oleate, Linolenate and Linolenate Hydroperoxides in Oxidized Ester Mixtures, Lipids 15:379–385 (1980). CrossRef
- Wang, T., E.G. Hammond, and W.R. Fehr, Phospholipid Fatty Acid Composition and Stereospecific Distribution of Soybeans with a Wide Range of Fatty Acid Composition, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 74:1587–1594 (1997).
- Extraction of egg-yolk lecithin
Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society
Volume 82, Issue 8 , pp 565-569
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- egg yolks
- Industry Sectors