Calculation of iodine value from measurements of fatty acid methyl esters of some oils: Comparison with the relevant American Oil Chemists Society method
A new calculation method for the determination of iodine value (IV) from measurements of fatty acid methyl esters is proposed. The method is based on the quantitative determination of fatty acid methyl esters of vegetable oils by capillary gas chromatography. IV is a measure of the number of double bonds in the unsaturated fatty acids in one gram of oil. The analytical methodology of its evaluation includes the use of rather health dangerous reagents, and for that reason is mostly avoided by laboratory analysts. A calculation procedure to determine the IV of oils from their fatty acid methyl ester composition is in use based on the American Oil Chemists’ Society (AOCS) method Cd 1c-85. A new calculation procedure for IV, based also on the evaluation of the fatty acid methyl esters of oils, was developed. The application of the proposed calculation methodology was checked with olive oil, corn oil, soybean oil, cottonseed oil, and sunflower seed oil. The proposed calculation gave results in better agreement with the Wijs method than with the relevant AOCS method.
- Official Methods of Analysis of AOAC International, AOAC International, Arlington, 1984 AOAC Official Method 28.023, Iodine Absorption Number Wijs Method.
- Paquot, C., Standard Methods for the Analysis of Oils, Fats and Derivatives, 6th edn., Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1979, pp. 66–70.
- Cocks, L.V., and C. Van Rede, Laboratory Handbook for Oil and Fat Analysis, Academic Press, London, 1966, pp. 109–113.
- Rossel, G.B. Classical Analysis of Oils and Fats, in Analysis of Oils and Fats, edited by R.G. Hamilton, and J.B. Rossel, Elsevier, London, 1987, pp. 10–12.
- Misra, N., Sangita-Batra, A. Rathore, and S. Batra, Effects of Storage Moulds on the Nutritional Components of Foeniculum vulgare Mill, Int. J. Trp. Plant Dis. 6:67–72 (1988).
- Rowland, G.G., A. McHughens, Rh.S. Bhatty, and Andro Flux, Can. J. Plant Sci. 69:911–913 (1989). CrossRef
- Tosheva-Tsvetkova, T.S., Tsvetkova-TS-Tosheva, The Role of Food in the Fat Metabolism of Overwintering Larvae of the Plum Fruit Moth, Gratinarska-I-Losarska-Nauka 20:43–48 (1983).
- Bergman, J.W., G. Carlson, G. Kushnak, N.R. Riveland, G. Stallknecht, L.E. Welty, and D. Wichman, Registration of Finch Safflower, Crop Sci. 29:829–832 (1989). CrossRef
- Schynowski, F., and W. Schwack, Photochemistry of Parathion on Plant Surfaces. Relationship Between Photodecomposition and Iodine Value of the Plant Cuticles, Chemosphere 33:2255–2262 (1996). CrossRef
- Mittelbach, M., Diesel Fuel Derived from Vegetable Oils. VI Specifications and Quality Control of Biodiesel, Bioresour. Technol. 56:7–11 (1996). CrossRef
- Gee, P.T., Iodine Value Determination by FTIR Spectroscopy, Malays. Oil Sci. Technol. 4:182–185 (1995).
- Van De Voort, F.R., J.E. Sedman, and A.A. Ismail, Rapid and Direct Iodine Value and Saponification Number Determination of Fats and Oils by Attenuated Total Reflectance/Fourier Transform Infrared Spectroscopy, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 69:1118–1123 (1992).
- Haryati, T., Y.B. Che Man, H.M. Ghazali, B.A. Asbi, and L. Buana, Determination of Iodine Value of Palm Oil by Differential Scanning Calorimetry, 74:939–942 (1997).
- Haryati, T., Y.B. Che Man, H.M. Ghazali, B.A. Asbi, and L. Buana, Determination of Iodine Value of Palm Oil Based on Triglyceride Composition, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 75:789–792 (1998).
- Official Methods and Recommended Practices of the American Oil Chemists’ Society, edited by David Firestone, 4th edition, American Oil Chemists’ Society, Champaign, 1989, Cd 1c-85.
- Official Methods of Analysis, AOAC International, Arlington 1984, AOAC Official Method 28.060.
- Miller, J.C., and J.N. Miller, Statistics for Analytical Chemistry, 3rd edn., Ellis Harwood, Prentice Hall, New York, 1993, p. 58.
- Calculation of iodine value from measurements of fatty acid methyl esters of some oils: Comparison with the relevant American Oil Chemists Society method
Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society
Volume 77, Issue 12 , pp 1235-1238
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Fatty acids
- iodine value
- vegetable oils
- Industry Sectors