Hexane elimination from soybean oil by continuous packed tower processing with supercritical CO2
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Hexane elimination is the most energy-consuming step in the industrial extraction of soybean oil. It utilizes three sets of equipment: two evaporation stages in series followed by a stripper at a pressure of about 0.07 bar. The final hexane residue in the oil is about 1000 ppm. We propose an alternative to the present process for hexane elimination, based on the extraction of the soybean oil/hexane mixture with supercritical CO2 in a continuous countercurrent packed tower. In this work, we tested a soybean oil/hexane mixture feed containing 10% by weight of hexane. Various pressures and temperatures of the column were tested to reduce hexane residue in the oil. The extraction process was demonstrated to be very effective for hexane separation. Indeed, at the bottom of the column we recovered soybean oil containing quantities of hexane as low as 20 ppm when we operated at 120 bar, 40°C. The effect of process parameters is also discussed.
- Brown, H.L., B.B. Hamel, and B.A. Hedeman, Energy Analysis of 108 Industrial Processes, Fairmont Press, Atlanta, 1985.
- Perkins, E.G., Composition of Soybeans and Soybean Products, in Practical Handbook of Soybean Processing and Utilization, edited by D.R. Erikson, AOCS Press, Champaign, 1995, pp. 9–28.
- O’Quinn, P.R., D.A. Knabe, E.J. Gregg, and E.W. Lusas, Nutritional Value for Swine of Soybean Meal Produced by Isopropyl Alcohol, J. Anim. Sci. 75:714–719 (1997).
- Stahl, E., E. Schultz, and H.K. Mangold, Extraction of Seed Oils with Liquid and Supercritical CO2, J. Agric. Food Chem. 28:1153–1157 (1980). CrossRef
- Friedrich, J.P., and G.R. List, Characterization of Soybean Oil Extracted by Supercritical CO2 and Hexane, Ibid. 30:192–193 (1982). CrossRef
- Eggers, R., U. Sievers, and W. Stein, High Pressure Extraction of Oil Seed, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 62:1222–1230 (1985).
- Eisenbach, W.O., Extraction and Fractionation of Natural Products, in Proceedings of the 1st International Symposium on Supercritical Fluids, edited by M. Perrut, Nice, 1988, pp. 719–725.
- Snyder, J.M., J.P. Friedrich, and D.D. Christianson, Effect of Moisture and Particle Size on the Extractability of Oils from Seeds with Supercritical CO2, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 61:1851–1856 (1984).
- Taniguki, M., T. Tsuji, M. Shibata, and T. Kobayashi, Extraction of Wheat Germ with Supercritical Carbon Dioxide, Agric. Biol. Chem. 49:2367–2372 (1985).
- Christianson, D.D., J.P. Friedrich, G.R. List, K. Warner, E.B. Bagley, A.C. Stringfellow, and G.E. Inglett, SFE of Dry Milled Corn Germ with Carbon Dioxide, J. Food Sci. 49:229–233 (1984). CrossRef
- List, G.R., J.P. Friedrich, and J. Pominski, Characterization and Processing of Cottonseed Oil Obtained by Extraction with Supercritical Carbon Dioxide, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 61:1847–1849 (1984).
- Ramsay, M.E., J.T. Hsu, R.A. Novak, and W.J. Reigtler, Processing Rice Bran by SFE, Food Technol.:98–104 (1991).
- Perrut, M., J.Y. Clavier, M. Poletto, and E. Reverchon, Mathematical Modelling of Sunflower Seed Extraction by Supercritical CO2, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 36:430–436 (1997). CrossRef
- Marrone, C., M. Poletto, E. Reverchon, and A. Stassi, Almond Oil Extraction by Supercritical CO2: Experiments and Modelling, Chem. Eng. Sci. 53:3711–3718 (1998). CrossRef
- Reverchon, E., and L. Sesti Ossèo, Comparison of Processes for the Supercritical Carbon Dioxide Extraction of Oil from Soybean Seeds, J. Am. Oil Chem. Soc. 71:1007–1012 (1994).
- Peters, S., Supercritical Fractionation of Lipids, in Supercritical Fluid Technology in Oil and Lipid Chemistry, edited by J.W. King and G.R. List, AOCS Press, Champaign, 1996, pp. 74–75.
- Reverchon, E., Supercritical Fluid Extraction of Essential Oils and Related Materials, J. Supercrit. Fluids 10:1–37 (1997). CrossRef
- Maxwell, R.J., Solubility Measurement of Lipid Constituents in Supercritical Fluids, in Supercritical Fluid Technology in Oil and Lipid Chemistry, edited by J.W. King and G.R. List, AOCS Press, Champaign, 1996, pp. 20–36.
- Reverchon, E., A. Marciano, and M. Poletto, Fractionation of a Peel Oil Key Mixture by Supercritical CO2 in a Continuous Tower, Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 36:4940–4948 (1997). CrossRef
- ISO 9832; Animal and Vegetable Fats and Oils. Determination of Residual Technical Hexane Content, International Standardization Organization, Geneva, 1992.
- Somma, M., Post Processing di Olii Alimentari con CO2 Supercritica: Eliminazione dell’Esano, MSc. Thesis, University of Salerno, Salerno, Italy, 1997.
- Wagner, Z., and I. Wichterle, High-Pressure Vapour-Liquid Equilibrium in Systems Containing Carbon Dioxide, 1-Hexene and n-Hexane, Fluid Phase Equil. 33:109–123 (1987). CrossRef
- Li, Y.-H., K.H. Dillard, and R.L. Robinson, Vapor-Liquid Phase Equilibrium for Carbon Dioxide-n-Hexane at 40, 80 and 120°C, J. Chem. Eng. Data 26:53–55 (1981). CrossRef
- Ohgaki, K., and T. Katayama, Isothermal Vapor-Liquid Equilibrium Data for Binary Systems Containing Carbon Dioxide at High Pressures: Methanol-Carbon Dioxide, n-Hexane-Carbon Dioxide, and Benzene-Carbon Dioxide Systems, Ibid. 21:53–55 (1976). CrossRef
- Bamberger, T., J.C. Erickson, C.L. Cooney, and S.K. Kumar, Measurement and Model Prediction of Solubility of Pure Fatty Acids, Pure Triglycerides, and Mixtures of Triglycerides in Supercritical Carbon Dioxide, Ibid. 33:327–333 (1988). CrossRef
- Treybal, R.E., Mass Transfer Operation, McGraw-Hill, Singapore, 1981, p. 309.
- Onda, K., H. Takeuchi, and Y. Okumoto, Mass Transfer Coefficients Between Gas and Liquid Phases in packed Columns, J. Chem. Eng. Jpn. 1:56–62 (1968).
- Chung, T.-M., L.L. Lee, and K.E. Starling, Applications of Kinetic Gas Theories and Multiparameter Correlation for Prediction of Dilute Gas Viscosity and Thermal Conductivity, Ind. Eng. Chem. Fundam. 23:8–13 (1984). CrossRef
- Jossi, J.A., L.I. Stiel, and G. Thodos, The Viscosity of Pure Substances in the Dense Gaseous and Liquid Phase, AIChE J. 8:59–63 (1962). CrossRef
- Takahashi, S., Preparation of a Generalized Chart for the Diffusion Coefficients of Gases at High Pressures, J. Chem. Eng. Jpn. 7:417–420 (1974).
- Perry, R.H., and D.W. Green, Chemical Engineers Handbook, 6th edn., McGraw-Hill, Singapore, 1985.
- Reverchon, E., M. Poletto, L. Sesti Osséo, G. Donsì, and M. Somma, Processo per la eliminazione di solvente organico da olii alimentari con anidride carbonica supercritica, Italian Patent, SA 98A/000014 (1998).
- Hexane elimination from soybean oil by continuous packed tower processing with supercritical CO2
Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society
Volume 77, Issue 1 , pp 9-14
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- oil purification
- supercritical fluids
- Industry Sectors