Tuna fishmeal as a source of DHA for n−3 PUFA enrichment of pork, chicken, and eggs
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Enriching foods with long-chain n−3 PUFA (LC n−3 PUFA) is an important approach to increasing the dietary intake of these beneficial nutrients. Enrichment of meat and eggs can be achieved by adding flaxseed, fish oil, or fishmeal to pig or poultry feeds. However, utilization of these sources, particularly fishmeal, has been limited by concerns about adverse effects on sensory qualities. In this study, we evaluated the use of PorcOmegaTM (POM), a stabilized tuna fishmeal formulation, as a source of DHA for enrichment of pork and poultry products. Pigs, broilers, and laying hens were fed rations containing varying levels of POM for varying time periods, and its impact on the LC n−3 PUFA content and sensory qualities of cooked meat and eggs was examined. Pork and chicken products, including chops, sausages, and eggs, with substantially increased (up to sevenfold) levels of LC n−3 PUFA (predominantly DHA) were achieved by including up to 10% POM in rations. The increases were retained after cooking. Some sensory deficits were noted when using higher levels of POM (exceeding 15% in meat and 10% in eggs). However, at modest rates of feeding (5–10% POM), palatable meat and eggs were obtained with worthwhile levels of enrichment. The fishmeal feeding strategy used in this study offers a viable means of producing a range of alternative dietary sources of LC n−3 PUFA.
- Nettleton, J.A. (1995) Omega-3 Fatty Acids and Health. Chapman & Hall, New York
- Simopoulos, A.P. (1991) Omega-3 Fatty Acids in Health and Disease and in Growth and Development. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 54: pp. 438-463
- Simopoulos, A.P., Leaf, A., Salem, N. (1999) Workshop on the Essentiality of and Recommended Dietary Intakes for Omega-6 and Omega-3 Fatty Acids. Food Australia 51: pp. 332-333
- Dolecek, T. (1992) Epidemiological Evidence of Relationships Between Dietary Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids and Mortality in the Multiple Risk Factor Intervention Trial. Proc. Soc. Exp. Biol. Med. 200: pp. 177-182
- Kris-Etherton, P.M., Taylor, D.S., Yu-Poth, S., Huth, P., Moriarty, K., Fishell, V., Hargrove, R.L., Zhao, G., Etherton, T.D. (2000) Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids in the Food Chain in the United States. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 71: pp. 179S-188S
- Ollis, T.E., Meyer, B.J., Howe, P.R.C. (1999) Australian Food Sources and Intakes of Omega-6 and Omega-3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids. Ann. Nutr. Metab. 43: pp. 346-355 CrossRef
- Howe, P.R.C. (1998) Omega-3 Enriched Pork. World Rev. Nutr. Diet 83: pp. 132-143 CrossRef
- Leskanich, C., Matthews, K., Warkup, C., Noble, R., Hazzledine, M. (1997) The Effect of Dietary Oil Containing n−3 Fatty Acids on the Fatty Acid, Physicochemical and Organoleptic Characteristics of Pig Meat and Fat. J. Anim. Sci. 75: pp. 673-683
- Irie, M., Sakimoto, M. (1992) Fat Characteristics of Pigs Fed Fish Oil Containing Eicosapentaenoic and Docosahexaenoic Acids. J. Anim. Sci. 70: pp. 470-477
- Leskanich, C.O., Noble, R.C. (1997) Manipulation of the n−3 Polyunsaturated Fatty Acid Composition of Avian Eggs and Meat. World's Poult Sci. J. 53: pp. 155-183 CrossRef
- Farrell, D.J. (1998) Enrichment of Hen Eggs with n−3 Long-Chain Fatty Acids and Evaluation of Enriched Eggs in Humans. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 68: pp. 538-544
- Elswyk, M.E. (1997) Comparison of n−3 Fatty Acid Sources in Laying Hen Rations for Improvement of Whole Egg Nutritional Quality: A Review. Br. J. Nutr. 78: pp. S61-S69 CrossRef
- Abril, R., Barclay, W. (1998) Production of Docosahexaenoic Acid-Enriched Poultry Eggs and Meat Using an Algae-Based Feed Ingredient. World Rev. Nutr. Diet 83: pp. 77-88 CrossRef
- Nash, D.M., Hamilton, R.M.G., Hulan, H.W. (1995) The Effect of Dietary Herring Meal on the Omega-3 Fatty Acid Content of Plasma and Egg Yolk Lipids of Laying Hens. Can. J. Anim. Sci. 75: pp. 247-253 CrossRef
- Ratnayake, W., Ackman, R., Hulan, H. (1989) Effect of Redfish Meal-Enriched Diets on the Taste and n−3 PUFA of 42-Day-Old Broiler Chickens. J. Sci. Food Agric. 49: pp. 59-74 CrossRef
- Ashes, J.R., Siebert, B.D., Gulati, S.K., Cuthbertson, A.Z., Scott, T.W. (1992) Incorporation of n−3 Fatty Acids of Fish Oil Into Tissue and Serum Lipids of Ruminants. Lipids 27: pp. 629-631 CrossRef
- Mandell, I.B., Buchanan-Smith, J.G., Holub, B.J., Campbell, C.P. (1997) Effects of Fish Meal in Beef Cattle Diets on Growth Performance, Carcass Characteristics and Fatty Acid Composition of Longissimus Muscle. J. Anim. Sci. 75: pp. 910-919
- Hertzman, C., Goransson, L., Ruderus, H. (1988) Influence of Fishmeal, Rapeseed and Rapeseed Meal in Feed on the Fatty Acid Composition and Storage Stability of Porcine Body Fat. Meat Sci. 23: pp. 37-53 CrossRef
- Valaja, J., Suomi, K., Alaviuhkola, T., Immonen, I. (1992) Effect of Dietary Fishmeal on the Palatability and Fatty Acid Composition of Pork. J. Agric. Sci. 1: pp. 21-26
- Wood, J.D., Enser, M. (1997) Factors Influencing Fatty Acids in Meat and the Role of Antioxidants in Improving Meat Quality. Br. J. Nutr. 78: pp. S49-S60 CrossRef
- Buckley, D.J., Morrissey, P.A., Gray, J.I. (1995) Influence of Dietary Vitamin E on the Oxidative Stability and Quality of Pig Meat. J. Anim. Sci. 73: pp. 3122-3130
- Ajuyah, A.O., Ahn, D.U., Hardin, T., Sim, J.S. (1991) Dietary Antioxidants and Storage Affect Chemical Characteristics of ω-3 Fatty Acid Enriched Broiler Chicken Meats. J. Food Sci. 61: pp. 43-46
- Specht-Overholt, S.M. (1995) Commercial Manufacturing of Omega-3-Pork Products and the Effects of d, 1α-Tocopherol Acetate in Swine Diets on Lipid and Pigment Stability and Various Pork Characteristics. Dissert. Abstr. Intl. b 56: pp. 587-587
- Romans, J.R., Wulf, D.M., Johnson, R.C., Libal, G.W., Costello, W.J. (1995) Effect of Ground Flaxseed in Swine Diets on Pig Performance and on Physical and Sensory Characteristics and Omega-3 Content of Pork: II Duration of 15% Dietary Flaxseed. J. Anim. Sci. 73: pp. 1987-1999
- Emken, E.A., Adlof, R.O., Gulley, R.M. (1994) Dietary Linoleic Acid Influences Desaturation and Acylation of Deuterium-Labeled Linoleic and Linolenic Acids in Young Adult Males. Biochim. Biophys. Acta 1213: pp. 277-288
- Fishmeal Information Network (2001) Fishmeal Facts and Figures (http://www.gafta.com/fin/finfacts.html).
- Pike, I.H., and Barlow, S. (1999) Fish Meal and Oil to the Year 2010—Supplies for Aquaculture, World Aquaculture 99, Sydney. Proceedings available at http://www.ifoma.com/raw.html.
- Barneveld, R. (1997) Fishmeal in Pig Diets—The Effect on Pork and Pork Product Quality. Pig Industry News July: pp. 21-23
- Amendment 53 to the Food Standards Code: Part 1.2.8 Div 3: Conditions for Making Certain Nutrition Claims, 13—Claims in Relation to Omega Fatty Acid Content of Foods. Commonwealth of Australia Gazette P 30: pp. 68-68
- National Research Council (1998) Nutrient Requirements of Swine, 10th rev. edn., Washington, DC.
- National Research Council (1994) Nutrient Requirements of Poultry, 9th rev. edn., Washington, DC.
- Lepage, G., Roy, G.C. (1986) Direct Esterification of All Classes of Lipids in a One-Step Reaction. J. Lipid Res. 27: pp. 114-120
- Anonymous (1990) Test Methods for Evaluating Solid Waste, 3rd edn., EPA SW-846 Method 3540, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC.
- Klashing, K.C. (1998) Comparative Avian Nutrition. CAB International, Wallingford, United Kingdom
- Tuna fishmeal as a source of DHA for n−3 PUFA enrichment of pork, chicken, and eggs
Volume 37, Issue 11 , pp 1067-1076
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Smart Foods Centre, University of Wollongong, 2522, NSW, Australia
- 3. Faculty of Veterinary Science, University of Sydney, 2570, Camden, NSW, Australia