Metabolic Outcomes of Obese Diabetic Patients Following Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Obesity is an independent risk factor in the development of diabetes. Weight loss surgery is the most effective treatment of morbid obesity. This study examines the effect of gastric banding on metabolic profile in diabetics.
Between April 2003 and November 2007, 1,335 patients underwent laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding. Metabolic profile was examined on a subset of 254 patients. Of these, 122 were diabetic. Data collection included body mass index, weight, blood pressure, HbA1c, fasting glucose, total serum cholesterol, triglyceride, and medications taken for blood pressure and diabetes both preoperatively and 1 year postoperatively.
Comorbid conditions in the diabetic patients included hypercholesterolemia (49.3%), hypertriglyceridemia (53.8%) and hypertension (92%). In 1 year, mean BMI reduced from 52.9 kg/m2 to 41.5 kg/m2. Of the patients, 93.1% experienced an improvement in fasting glucose levels and 75.4% patients an improvement in HbA1c levels at the end of 1 year. All patients experienced a decrease in insulin requirements, and 36.6% were able to totally discontinue using it. Of the patients, 100% showed improvement in their triglyceride level, and 90.9% showed improvement in their total cholesterol level. The mean arterial pressure improved in 87.5% of the patients.
The metabolic syndrome associated with morbid obesity is difficult to adequately control with medication. Laparoscopic gastric banding can be considered a potentially curative treatment option in the management of this syndrome.
- Must, A, Spadano, J, Coakley, EH, Field, AE, Colditz, G, Dietz, WH (1999) The disease burden associated with overweight and obesity. JAMA 282: pp. 1523-1529 CrossRef
- Chan, JM, Rimm, EB, Colditz, GA, Stampfer, MJ, Willett, WC (1994) Obesity, fat distribution, and weight gain as risk factors for clinical diabetes in men. Diabetes Care 17: pp. 961-969 CrossRef
- Kannel, WB, McGee, DL (1979) Diabetes and cardiovascular disease. The Framingham study. JAMA 241: pp. 2035-2038 CrossRef
- UK Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS) Group. Effect of intensive blood-glucose control with metformin on complications in overweight patients with type 2 diabetes (UKPDS 34). Lancet. 1998;352(9131):854–65.
- Turner, RC, Cull, CA, Frighi, V, Holman, RR (1999) Glycemic control with diet, sulfonylurea, metformin, or insulin in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: progressive requirement for multiple therapies (UKPDS 49). UK Prospective Diabetes Study (UKPDS) Group. JAMA 281: pp. 2005-2012 CrossRef
- Detournay, B, Cros, S, Charbonnel, B (2000) Managing type 2 diabetes in France: the ECODIA survey. Diabetes Metab 26: pp. 363-369
- Newburgh, L (1942) Control of hyperglycaemia of obese ‘diabetics’ by weight reduction. Ann Intern Med 17: pp. 935-942
- Friedman, MN, Sancetta, AJ, Magovern, GJ (1955) The amelioration of diabetes mellitus following subtotal gastrectomy. Surg Gynecol Obstet 100: pp. 201-204
- Buchwald, H, Avidor, Y, Braunwald, E (2004) Bariatric surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis. JAMA 292: pp. 1724-1737 CrossRef
- Pontiroli, AE, Pizzocri, P, Librenti, MC (2002) Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding for the treatment of morbid (grade 3) obesity and its metabolic complications: a three-year study. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87: pp. 3555-3561 CrossRef
- Pontiroli, AE, Folli, F, Paganelli, M (2005) Laparoscopic gastric banding prevents type 2 diabetes and arterial hypertension and induces their remission in morbid obesity: a 4-year case-controlled study. Diabetes Care 28: pp. 2703-2709 CrossRef
- Dixon, JB, O’Brien, PE (2002) Health outcomes of severely obese type 2 diabetic subjects 1 year after laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding. Diabetes Care 25: pp. 358-363 CrossRef
- Hubbard, VS, Hall, WH (1991) Gastrointestinal surgery for severe obesity. Obes Surg 1: pp. 257-265 CrossRef
- 1983 Metropolitan Height and Weight Tables. New York: Metropolitan Life Foundation. Statistical Bulletin. 1983;64(1):2–9.
- Deitel, M, Gawdat, K, Melissas, J (2007) Reporting weight loss 2007. Obes Surg 17: pp. 565-568 CrossRef
- M Longmore IW, S Rajagopala. Oxford handbook of Clinical Medicine. 6 ed. 2004.
- Management of Hypertension in Adults in Primary Care: NICE, June 2006.
- Singhal, R, Kitchen, M, Ndirika, S, Hunt, K, Bridgwater, S, Super, P (2008) The ‘Birmingham stitch’—avoiding slippage in laparoscopic gastric banding. Obes Surg. 18: pp. 359-363 CrossRef
- Ferchak, CV, Meneghini, LF (2004) Obesity, bariatric surgery and type 2 diabetes–a systematic review. Diabetes Metab Res Rev 20: pp. 438-445 CrossRef
- Dixon, JB, O’Brien, PE, Playfair, J, Chapman, L, Schachter, LM, Skinner, S (2008) Adjustable gastric banding and conventional therapy for type 2 diabetes: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 299: pp. 316-323 CrossRef
- Spivak, H, Hewitt, MF, Onn, A, Half, EE (2005) Weight loss and improvement of obesity-related illness in 500 U.S. patients following laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding procedure. Am J Surg 189: pp. 27-32 CrossRef
- Ahroni, JH, Montgomery, KF, Watkins, BM (2005) Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding: weight loss, co-morbidities, medication usage and quality of life at one year. Obes Surg 15: pp. 641-647 CrossRef
- Favretti, F, Segato, G, Ashton, D (2007) Laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding in 1,791 consecutive obese patients: 12-year results. Obes Surg 17: pp. 168-175 CrossRef
- Myers, JA, Sarker, S, Shayani, V (2006) Treatment of massive super-obesity with laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2: pp. 37-40 CrossRef
- Ballantyne, GH, Farkas, D, Laker, S, Wasielewski, A (2006) . Short-term changes in insulin resistance following weight loss surgery for morbid obesity: laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding versus laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Obes Surg 16: pp. 1189-1197 CrossRef
- Metabolic Outcomes of Obese Diabetic Patients Following Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding
Volume 18, Issue 11 , pp 1400-1405
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Metabolic profile
- Industry Sectors