Measurement of Thermal Conductivity Using Steady-State Isothermal Conditions and Validation by Comparison with Thermoelectric Device Performance
A new technique for measuring thermal conductivity with significantly improved accuracy is presented. By using the Peltier effect to counterbalance an imposed temperature difference, a completely isothermal, steady-state condition can be obtained across a sample. In this condition, extraneous parasitic heat flows that would otherwise cause error can be eliminated entirely. The technique is used to determine the thermal conductivity of p-type and n-type samples of (Bi,Sb)2(Te,Se)3 materials, and thermal conductivity values of 1.47 W/m K and 1.48 W/m K are obtained respectively. To validate this technique, those samples were assembled into a Peltier cooling device. The agreement between the Seebeck coefficient measured individually and from the assembled device were within 0.5%, and the corresponding thermal conductivity was consistent with the individual measurements with less than 2% error.
- H. Wang, S. Bai, H. Böttner, L. Chen, F. Harris, L. Kiss, H. Kleinke, J. Konig, J. Lo, A. Mayolet, W. Porter, J. Sharp, C. Smith, and T. Tritt, International Energy Agency Report: Transport Properties of Bulk Thermoelectrics. ORNL Report #32716 (2011), p. 15.
- E.H. Putley, Proc. Phys. Soc. B 68, 35 (1955). CrossRef
- T.C. Harman, J.H. Cahn, and M.J. Logan, J. Appl. Phys. 30, 1351 (1959). CrossRef
- A.W. Penn, J. Sci. Instrum. 41, 626 (1964). CrossRef
- A. Bowley, L. Cowles, G. Williams, and H.J. Goldsmid, J. Sci. Instrum. 38, 433 (1961). CrossRef
- R.J. Buist, Proc. 11th International Conference on Thermoelectrics, (1992).
- P.J. Taylor, W.A. Jesser, F.D. Rosi, and Z. Derzko, Semiconduc. Sci. Technol. 12, 443 (1997). CrossRef
- P.J. Taylor, J.R. Maddux, W.A. Jesser, and F.D. Rosi, J. Appl. Phys. 85, 7807 (1999). CrossRef
- H.J. Goldsmid, Proc. Phys. Soc. B69, 203 (1956).
- P.J. Taylor, T.C. Harman, N.K. Dhar, P.S. Wijewarnasuriya, J.C. Fraser, and M.Z. Tidrow, Appl. Phys. Lett. 85, 5415 (2004). CrossRef
- S. Iwanaga, E. Toberer, A. LaLonde, and G. Snyder, Rev. Sci. Instrum. 82, 063905 (2011). CrossRef
- Measurement of Thermal Conductivity Using Steady-State Isothermal Conditions and Validation by Comparison with Thermoelectric Device Performance
Journal of Electronic Materials
Volume 41, Issue 9 , pp 2307-2312
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Thermoelectric power generation
- thermal conductivity
- Seebeck coefficient
- Industry Sectors