Internal Microstructure Investigation of Tin Whisker Growth Using FIB Technology
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The problem of tin (Sn) whiskers has been a significant reliability issue in electronics for the past several decades. Despite the large amount of research conducted on this issue, a solution for mitigating the growth of whiskers remains a challenge for the research community. Whiskers have unpredictable growth and morphology, and a study of a whisker’s internal structure may provide further insights into the reason behind their complex growth. This study reports on the internal microstructure and morphology of complex-shaped Sn whiskers grown from an electroplated bright Sn layer on brass substrates exposed to ambient and 95% humid environment. The variables analyzed include surface and microstructure conditions of the film, and morphology and internal microstructure of the Sn whiskers using scanning electron microscopy with focused ion beam technology. Experimental results demonstrated that the whiskers with more complex morphology grow primarily from surfaces exposed to a controlled environment, and some of them have traits of polycrystalline growth rather than only single crystalline, as usually known.
- J.W. Price, Electrochemical Publications Limited, Ayr Scotland, 1983.
- A.C. Tan, Chapman and Hall London, UK, 1993.
- B.D. Dunn, Circuit World 2, 32 (1976). CrossRef
- T.G. Galyon, IEEE Trans. Electron. Packag. Manuf., 28. January 2005.
- G.T.T. Sheng and C.F. Hu, J. Appl. Phys. 92, 64 (2002). CrossRef
- J.W. Osenbach, J.M. DeLucca, B.D. Potteiger, A. Amin, and F.A. Baiocchi, J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 18, 283 (2007). CrossRef
- K. Zeng and K.N. Tu, Mater. Sci. Eng., R 38, 55 (2002). CrossRef
- Tin (and Other Metal) Whisker Induced Failures, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center. http://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/failures/index.htm. Accessed January 2012
- S.E. Koonce and S.M. Arnold, J. Appl. Phys. (Letters to the Editor) 25, 134 (1954).
- E. Chason, N. Jadhav, W.L. Chan, L. Reinbold, and K.S. Kumar, Appl. Phys. Lett. 92, April 2008.
- K.N. Tu, Acta Metall. 21, 347 (1973). CrossRef
- B.Z. Lee and D.N. Lee, Acta Metall. 46, 3701 (1998).
- H.L. Reynolds and R. Hilty, IPC/JEDEC Lead (Pb) Free Conference, Boston, MA, Dec. 3, 2004.
- C. Xu, C. Fan, A. Vysotskova, J. Abys, Y. Zhang, L. Hopkins, and F. Stevie, Proc. of the 2001 AESF SUR/FIN Conf., June 2001.
- I. Baudry and G. Kerros, Soldering and Assembly Tech, vol. 3 (2001)
- J.D. Eshelby, Phys. Rev. 91, 755 (1953). CrossRef
- F.C. Frank, Philos. Mag. 44, 854 (1953).
- S. Amelinckx, W. Bontinck, W. Dekeyser, and F. Seitz, Philos. Mag. 2, 355 (1957). CrossRef
- W.C. Ellis, D.F. Gibbons, and R.C. Treuting, Growth and Perfection of Crystals, ed. R.H. Doremus, B.W. Roberts, and D. Turnbull (New York: Wiley, 1985), pp. 102–120.
- I. Boguslavsky and P. Bush, Proceedings of the 2003 APEX Conference, Anaheim, CA, March 2003 unpublished, pp. S12-4-1-S12-4-10
- P. Vianco and J. Rejent, J. Electron. Mater. 38, 1815 (2009). CrossRef
- K.N. Tu, Phys. Rev. B 49, 2030 (1994). CrossRef
- K.N. Tu and J.C.M. Li, Mater. Sci. Eng., A 409, 131 (2005). CrossRef
- M. Sobiech, U. Welzel, E.J. Mittemeijer, W. Hugel, and A. Seekamp, Appl. Phys. Lett. 93, 011906-1-011906-3, July 2008.
- W.C. Ellis, D.F. Gibbons, and R.C. Treuting, Growth and Perfection of Crystals, ed. R.H. Doremus, B.W. Roberts, and D. Turnbull (New York: John Wiley &Sons, 1958), pp. 102–120.
- K.N. Tu, C. Chen, and A.T. Wu, J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 18, 269 (2007). CrossRef
- Research activities in Prof. Eric Chason’s Laboratory, Brown University, Providence, RI. http://www.engin.brown.edu/faculty/chason/research/. Accessed January 2012
- N. Jadhav, E. Buchovecky, E. Chason, and A. Bower, J. Mater. July 2010.
- S.E. Koonce and S.M. Arnold, J. Appl. Phys. 24, 365 (1953). CrossRef
- A. Dimitrovska and R. Kovacevic, IEEE Trans. Electron. Packag. Manuf. 33, 193, 2010.
- J. Cheng, S. Chen, P. Vianco, and J. C.M. Li, Electronic Components and Technology Conference (2008), pp. 472–477.
- J. Cheng, P. Vianco, and J.C.M. Li, Appl. Phys. Lett. 96, 184102 (2010). CrossRef
- Internal Microstructure Investigation of Tin Whisker Growth Using FIB Technology
Journal of Electronic Materials
Volume 41, Issue 8 , pp 2029-2034
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Sn whisker microstructure
- scanning electron microscopy (SEM)
- focused ion beam (FIB)
- Industry Sectors