Luminescence study of ZnTe:Cr epilayers grown by molecular-beam epitaxy
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Incorporation of Cr into ZnTe epilayers grown by molecular-beam epitaxy (MBE) is reported. Photoluminescence (PL) using both continuous wave (CW) and pulsed-excitation sources is used to characterize the radiative efficiency of doped layers in the infrared region. The Cr2+ ions produce a broad emission band peaking in the 2–3 µm range, which is of potential use in tunable-laser devices. The optimum Cr concentration for achieving bright, room-temperature infrared emission was found to be in the range from low- to mid-1018 cm−3. Temperature-dependent luminescence studies were performed to determine thermal-quenching activation energies. Using a pulsed-laser operating at 1.9 µm, an investigation of emission lifetimes was made. The emission-decay curves for the Cr2+ recombination in ZnTe:Cr films could be described by a single exponential and were nearly independent of temperature from 80 K to 300 K. A room-temperature lifetime of ∼2.5 µsec in a ZnTe:Cr layer with [Cr] ∼1.4 × 1018 cm−3 compares favorably with values reported for bulk ZnTe:Cr.
- L.D. DeLoach, R.H. Page, G.D. Wilke, S.A. Payne, and W.F. Krupke, IEEE J. Quant. Electron. 32, 885 (1996). CrossRef
- T.J. Carrig, Laser Focus World 38, 75 (2002).
- J.T. Vallin and G.D. Watkins, Solid State Commun. 9, 953 (1971). CrossRef
- J.T. Vallin and G.D. Watkins, Phys. Rev. B 9, 2051 (1974). CrossRef
- R.S. Title, Phys. Rev. 133, A1613 (1964).
- J. Dziesiaty, P. Peka, M.U. Lehr, A. Klimakow, S. Muller, and H.-J. Schulz, Z. Phys. Chemie 201, 63 (1997).
- M. Godlewski and M. Kaminska, J. Phys. C.: Solid State Phys. 13, 6537 (1980). CrossRef
- B.L. VanMil, A.J. Ptak, L. Bai, L. Wang, M. Chirila, N.C. Giles, T.H. Myers, and L. Wang, J. Electron. Mater. 31, 770 (2002).
- Y. Zhang, B.J. Skromme, and F.S. Turco-Sandroff, Phys. Rev. B 46, 3872 (1992). CrossRef
- M. Kaminska, J.M. Baranowski, S.M. Uba, and J.T. Vallin, J. Phys. C: Solid State Phys. 12, 2197 (1979). CrossRef
- A. Burger et al., J. Cryst. Growth 225, 249 (2001). CrossRef
- Luminescence study of ZnTe:Cr epilayers grown by molecular-beam epitaxy
Journal of Electronic Materials
Volume 32, Issue 7 , pp 737-741
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- molecular-beam epitaxy (MBE)
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Physics Department, West Virginia University, 26506, Morgantown, WV
- 2. Center for Photonic Materials and Devices, Physics Department, Fisk University, 37208, Nashville, TN