Study of Organic and Inorganic Binders on Strength of Iron Oxide Pellets
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Bentonite is a predominant binder used in iron ore pelletization. However, the presence of a high content of silica and alumina in bentonite is considered undesirable for ironmaking operations. The objective of this study was to identify the alternatives of bentonite for iron ore pelletization. To achieve this goal, different types of organic and inorganic binders were utilized to produce iron oxide pellets. The quality of these iron oxide pellets was compared with pellets made using bentonite. All pellets were tested for physical strength at different stages of pelletization to determine their ability to survive during shipping and handling. The results show that organic binders such as lactose monohydrate, hemicellulose, and sodium lignosulfonate can provide sufficient strength to indurated pellets.
- S.J. Ripke: Chemical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, Houghton, Boston, MA, 2002, pp. 201.
- K.H. Meyer: Pelletizing of Iron Ore, Springer, New York, 1980.
- Montmorillonite Mineral data, http://webmineral.com/data/Montmorillonite.shtml, 2011.
- J. Schmitt: 66 th Annual University of Minnesota Mining Symposium, Duluth, MN, 2005.
- W.T. Lankford, N.L. Samways, R.F. Craven, and H.E. McGannon: The Making, Shaping and Treating of Steel, 10th ed., The AISE Steel Foundation, Pittsburgh, PA, 2008.
- R.H. Heerema, H. Kortmann, T. Kater, and V.C. Boogard: 5 th International Symposium on Agglomeration, Brighton, U.K., 1989, p. 227.
- T.C. Eisele and S.K. Kawatra: Mineral Processing and Extractive Metallurgy Review, 2003, vol. 24 (1).
- G. Qui, T. Jiang, H. Li, and D. Wang: Colloids and Surfaces A: Physicochem. Eng. Aspects, 2003, vol. 224(1–3).
- S.K. Kawatra, T.C. Eisele, J.A. Gurtler, C.A. Hardison, and K. Lewandowski: USDOE, Semiannual Technical Progress Report: 29, Michigan Tech University, Houghton, Boston, MA, 2004.
- J.V. Chambers and A. Ferretti: J. Dairy Sci., 1978, vol 62 (1), pp. 112–16.
- A. Ferretti and J.V. Chambers: J. Agr. Food Chem., 1979, vol. 27, pp. 687-90. CrossRef
- V.M. Chizhikova, R.M. Vainshtein, S.N. Zorin, T.I. Zainetdinov, G.A. Zinyagin, and A.A. Shevchenko: Metallurgist, 2003, vol. 47, pp. 141-46. CrossRef
- H. Lepp: Am. Min., 1957, vol. 42, pp. 679–81.
- L.A. Hass, J.A. Aldinger, and R.K. Zahl: Bureau of Mines, Report on 9230, 1989, p. 21.
- Study of Organic and Inorganic Binders on Strength of Iron Oxide Pellets
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B
Volume 44, Issue 4 , pp 1000-1009
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI, 49931, USA
- 2. Research & Development Technology Center, Midrex Technologies, Pineville, NC, 28134, USA
- 3. Department of Chemical Engineering, Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI, 49931, USA