The fluctuations in slag foam under dynamic conditions
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In the present article, slag foaming phenomenon under dynamic conditions is critically analyzed on the basis of the results of high-temperature X-ray image analysis experiments. The results indicate that the mismatch between the gas generation rate and gas escape rate has a serious impact on the foam height. This mismatch is attributed to the chemical reaction rate, which has to be considered in modeling slag foaming under dynamic conditions. The results further imply that a critical ratio of bubble size/crucible size exists, where wall effects are likely to become prominent.
- A. Kapilashrami, M. Görnerup, A.K. Lahiri, and S. Seetharaman: Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 2004, vol. 35A, pp. 109–17.
- J.J. Bikerman: Foams: Theory and Industrial Applications, Reinhold Publishing Corporation, New York, NY, 1953, p. 37.
- K. Ito and R.J. Fruehan: Metall. Trans. B, 1989, vol. 20B, p. 509.
- Y. Zhang and R.J. Fruehan: Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 1995, vol. 26B, p. 803.
- S.-M. Jung and R.J. Fruehan: Iron Steel Inst. Jpn. Int., 2000, vol. 40, p. 348.
- H.S. Kim, D.J. Min, and J.H. Park: Iron Steel Inst. Jpn. Int., 2001, vol. 41, p. 317.
- A.K. Lahiri and S. Seetharaman: Metall. Mater. Trans. B 2002, vol. 33B, p. 499.
- S. Hartland and A.D. Barber: Trans. Inst. Chem. Eng., 1974, vol. 52, p. 43.
- M. Görnerup and A.K. Lahiri: Ironmaking and Steelmaking, 1998, vol. 25, p. 382.
- The fluctuations in slag foam under dynamic conditions
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions B
Volume 37, Issue 1 , pp 145-148
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Corus Research, Development and Technology, 1970 CA, IJmuiden, The Netherlands
- 3. the Department of Metallurgy, Indian Institute of Science, 560012, Bangalore, India
- 4. the Department of Material Science and Engineering, Royal Institute of Technology, 10044, Stockholm, Sweden