Role of cold work and SiC reinforcements on the β′/β precipitation in Al-10 pct Mg alloy
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Elevated temperature (above 100 °C) precipitation behaviors were studied in A1-10 wt pct Mg alloy and the same alloy reinforced with SiC particles through electrical resistivity, hardness, differential scanning calorimetry (DSC), and microscopy. Two distinct hardness peaks/resistivity drops, as associated with two precipitation events, were identified: (1) α (solid solution) → β′ (metastable hex precipitate) → β (Al3Mg2, stable complex cubic precipitate); and (2) α → β. Equilibrium β precipitates, transformed from metastable β′, were observed to possess a wide variet of orientation relationships with the matrix and were often observed to be twinned. A more restricted orientation relationship (only three variants) between β and matrix was observed in direct decomposition of α to β, and β precipitates, within these orientation relationships, were never observed to be twinned. In a predominantly binary Al-Mg system, direct precipitation of β was observed to dominate. However, the presence of trace amounts of boron nitride and/or boron (or a large supply of matrix dislocations) either from cold work, or (as in case of composites) from the thermal mismatch between the SiC and Al matrix, produced both precipitation events with event 1 dominant.
- Aluminum: Properties and Physical Metallurgy, J.E. Hatch, ed., ASM, Metals Park, OH, 1993.
- L.F. Mondolfo: Aluminum Alloys: Structure and Properties, Butterworth, and Co., London, 1976, pp. 312–23.
- A. Kelly and R.B. Nicholson: Progr. Mater. Sci., Pergamon Press, London, 1963, vol. 10, pp. 209–11.
- S. Samson: Acta Cryst., 1965, vol. 19, p. 401. CrossRef
- T. Sato and A. Kamio: Mater. Sci. Eng., 1991, vol. A146, pp. 161–80.
- T. Sato, Y. Kojima, and T. Takashi: Metall. Trans. A, 1982, vol. 13A, pp. 1373–78.
- K. Osamura and T. Ogura: Metall. Trans. A, 1984, vol. 15A, pp. 835–42.
- M. Van Rooyen, J.A. Sinte Maarensdijk, and E.J. Mittemeijer: Metall. Trans. A, 1988, vol. 19A, pp. 2433–43.
- S. Nebti, D. Hamana, and G. Cizeron: Acta Metall. Mater., 1995, vol. 43, pp. 3583–88. CrossRef
- C. Panseri, T. Federighi, and S. Ceresara: Trans. AIME, 1963, vol. 227, pp. 1122–26.
- Y. Kojima, T. Takahashi, M. Kubo, and T. Moringa: Metall. Trans. A, 1981, vol. 12A, pp. 1113–17.
- W.A. Pollard: J. Inst. Met., 1964, vol. 93, p. 339.
- T. Mukai, K. Higashi, and S. Tanimura: Mater. Sci. Eng., 1994, vol. A176, pp. 181–89.
- N.R.M.R. Bhargava, I. Samajdar, S. Ranganathan, and M.K. Surappa: Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, Ph.D Thesis, 1997.
- S. Suresh and K.K. Chawla: in Fundamentals of MMCs, S. Suresh, A. Mortensen, and A. Needleman, eds., Butterworth-Heinemann, Boston, MA, 1993, pp. 119–36.
- C. Badini, F. Marino, and E. Verne: Mater Sci. Eng., 1995, vol. A191, pp. 185–91.
- H. Lee, W. Lu, and S.L. Chan: Scripta Metall. Mater., 1992, vol. 26, pp. 1723–26. CrossRef
- M.J. Starink and P. Van Mourik: Metall. Trans. A, 1991, vol. 22A, pp. 665–74.
- I. Dutta, C.P. Harper, and G. Dutta: Metall. Mater. Trans. A, 1994, vol. 25A, pp. 1591–1602.
- B. Dutta and M.K. Surappa: Scripta Metall. Mater., 1995, vol. 32, p. 731. CrossRef
- J.W. Martin and R.D. Doherty: Stability of Microstructures in Metallic Systems, Cambridge University Press, London, 1976.
- D.A. Porter and K.E. Easterling: Phase Transformations in Metals And alloys, T.J. Press Ltd., Cornwell, United Kingdom, 1989.
- H.R. Shercliff and M.F. Ashby: Acta Metall. Mater., 1990, vol. 38, pp. 1789–1802. CrossRef
- G.C. Weatherly and R.B. Nicohlson: Phil. Mag., 1968, vol. 16, pp. 801–31.
- M.F. Komarov et al.: Fiz. Met. Metalloved., 1966, vol. 21 (6), pp. 858–67.
- L.I. Kaygorodova, N.N. Buynov, and M.F. Komarova: Fiz. Met. Metalloved., 1982, vol. 54 (3), pp. 542–47.
- N.N. Buynov and L.I. Kaygorodova: Fiz. Met. Metalloved., 1985, vol. 59 (1), pp. 91–95.
- J.W. Cahn and G. Kalonji: Solid State Phase Transformation, H.I. Aaronson, D.E. Laughlin, R.F. Sekerka, and C.M. Wayman, eds. AIME, Warrendale, PA, 1981, pp. 3–14.
- N. Kuwano et al.: ICOMAT-86, Japan Institute of Metals, Sendai, 1987, pp. 355–58.
- H.C. Montgomery: J. Appl. Phys., 1971, vol. 42, p. 2971. CrossRef
- Role of cold work and SiC reinforcements on the β′/β precipitation in Al-10 pct Mg alloy
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A
Volume 29, Issue 11 , pp 2835-2842
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. the Department of Metallurgical Engineering, Andhra University, 530 003, Visakhapatnam, India
- 2. the Department of Metallurgical Engineering and Materials Science, Indian Institute of Technology, 400 076, Mumbai, India
- 3. the Department of Metallurgy, Indian Institute of Science, 560012, Bangalore, India