Effect of Ni on vacancy concentrations and hardness in FeAl alloys
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The effects of nickel additions to iron aluminides are investigated with respect to vacancy concentrations and solid-solution hardening. Lattice parameters, densities, vacancy concentrations, and hardnesses were measured for FeAl alloys (40, 45, 48, 50, and 51 at. pct Al) with up to 12 at. pct Ni additions, as quenched at both 700 °C and 1000 °C. It is found that Ni does not prevent the elimination of thermal vacancies, as has been suggested in previous studies. However, the equilibrium vacancy concentrations are affected by the Ni additions. No clear evidence of solid-solution hardening by the Ni additions themselves was found. Instead, it appears that the role of Ni in hardening FeAl is through the effect the Ni has on the vacancy concentration. It was found that the hardness of most of the Ni-containing FeAl alloys could be directly correlated to the square root of the vacancy concentration.
- C.T. Liu, E.H. Lee, and C.G. McKamey: Scripta Metall., 1989, vol. 23, pp. 875–80. CrossRef
- C.T. Liu and E.P. George: Scripta Metall., 1990, vol. 24, pp. 1285–90. CrossRef
- B. Schmidt, P. Nagpal, and I. Baker: High Temperature Ordered Intermetallic Alloys III, Materials Research Society Symposia Proceedings, C.T. Liu, A.I. Taub, N.S. Stoloff, and C.C. Koch, eds. Materials Research Society, Pittsburgh, PA, 1989, pp. 755–60.
- P. Nagpal and I. Baker: Metall. Trans. A, 1990, vol. 21A, pp. 2281–82.
- D.J. Gaydosh and M.V. Nathal: Scripta Metall., 1990, vol. 24, pp. 1281–84. CrossRef
- Y.A. Chang, L.M. Pike, C.T. Liu, A.R. Bilbrey, and D.S. Stone: Intermetallics, 1993, vol. 1, pp. 107–15. CrossRef
- L.M. Pike, Y.A. Chang, and C.T. Liu: in Processing, Properties, and Applications of Iron Aluminides, J.H. Schneibel and M.A. Crimp, eds., TMS, Warrendale, PA, 1994, pp. 217–29.
- L.M. Pike, Y.A. Chang, and C.T. Liu: Acta Mater., 1997, vol. 45, pp. 3709–19. CrossRef
- M. Kogachi and T. Haraguchi: Mater. Sci. Eng., 1997, vol. A230, pp. 124–31.
- R.L. Fleischer: in The Strengthening of Metals, D. Peckner, ed., Reinhold Publishing Corp., New York, NY, 1964, pp. 93–140.
- J.P. Hirth and J. Lothe: Theory of Dislocations, 2nd ed., John Wiley & Sons, New York, NY, 1982, p. 682.
- P.R. Munroe: Intermetallics, 1996, vol. 4, pp. 5–11. CrossRef
- P.R. Munroe and C.H. Kong: Intermetallics, 1996, vol. 4, pp. 403–15. CrossRef
- J.H. Schneibel, E.P. George, E.D. Specht, and J.A. Horton: High Temperature Ordered Intermetallic Alloys VI. Materials Research Society Symposia Proceedings, J.A. Horton, I. Baker, S. Hanada, R.D. Noebe, and D.S. Schwartz, eds., Materials Research Society, Pittsburgh, PA, 1994, pp. 73–87.
- J.H. Schneibel, E.D. Specht, and W.A. Simpson: Intermetallics, 1996, vol. 4, pp. 581–38. CrossRef
- J.H. Schneibel, P.R. Munroe, and L.M. Pike: in High Temperature Ordered Intermetallic Alloys VII. Materials Research Society Symposia Proceedings, C.C. Koch, C.T. Liu, N.S. Stoloff, and A. Wanner, eds., Materials Research Society, Pittsburgh, PA, 1996, pp. 379–84.
- Y.A. Chang and J.P. Neumann: Progr. Solid State Chem., 1982, vol. 14, pp. 221–301. CrossRef
- F. Laves: Theory of Alloy Phases, ASM, Cleveland, OH, 1956.
- G. Simmons and H. Wang: Single Crystal Elastic Constants and Calculated Aggregate Properties: A Handbook, 2nd ed., MIT Press, Cambridge, MA, 1971.
- H.J. Leamy, E.D. Gibson, and F.X. Kayser: Acta Metall., 1967, vol. 15, pp. 1827–38. CrossRef
- C.R. Kao, L.M. Pike, S.-L. Chen, and Y.A. Chang: Intermetallics, 1994, vol. 2, pp. 235–47. CrossRef
- I.M. Anderson: Acta Mater., 1997, vol. 45, pp. 3897–3909. CrossRef
- L.M. Pike: Ph.D. Thesis, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, 1997.
- Effect of Ni on vacancy concentrations and hardness in FeAl alloys
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A
Volume 29, Issue 7 , pp 1911-1915
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors