Reminiscences About a Chemistry Nobel Prize Won with Metallurgy: Comments on D. Shechtman and I. A. Blech; Metall. Trans. A, 1985, vol. 16A, pp. 1005–12
A paper, “The Microstructure of Rapidly Solidified Al6Mn,” was submitted for publication in October 1984 by D. Shechtman and I. Blech to the Metallurgical Transactions A (now Metallurgical and Materials Transactions) after having been rejected by The Journal of Applied Physics (JAP) in the summer of 1984. A second paper, “Metallic Phase with Long-Range Orientational Order and No Translational Symmetry,” was submitted within a week by Dan Shechtman and coworkers to the Physical Review Letters (PRL). Both papers announced the creation by rapid solidification, at the National Bureau of Standards (NBS)—now the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)—of a sharply diffracting metallic Al-Mn solid phase that, because of its icosahedral symmetry, could not be periodic. In 2011, Dan Shechtman was awarded the Nobel Prize in Chemistry for this discovery. The Award cites him for “changing the way chemists looked at the solid state.” We, the three co-authors of these papers, ...
- Shechtman, D., Blech, I.A. (1985) Metall. Trans. A 16A: pp. 1005-12
- Shechtman, D., Blech, I., Gratias, D., Cahn, J.W. (1984) Phys. Rev. Lett. 53: pp. 1951-53 CrossRef
- D. Shechtman: Nobel Prize Lecture, http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/chemistry/laureates/2011/shechtman-lecture.html.
- R.J. Haüy: Essai d’une théorie sur la structure des crystaux, Registres de l’Académie Royale des Sciences, Paris, 26 November 1783.
- The International Union for Crystallography: International Tables for Crystallography: vol. A1, T. Hahn and D. Reidel, eds., Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston, MA, 1983.
- H. Bohr: Acta Math., 1925, vol. 45, pp. 29-127; H. Bohr: Almost-periodic functions, Chelsea, reprint 1947; A.S. Besicovitch: Almost periodic functions, Book Cambridge University Press, New York, NY, 1932.
- Mackay, A.L. (1982) Physica A 114: pp. 609 CrossRef
- Boettinger, W.J., Shechtman, D., Schaefer, R.J., Biancaniello, F.S. (1984) Metall. Trans. A 15A: pp. 55-66
- Strungaru, N. (2005) Discret. Comp. Geom. 33: pp. 483-505 CrossRef
- Levine, D., Steinhardt, P. (1984) Phys. Rev. Lett. 53: pp. 2477-80 CrossRef
- P. Sainfort, B. Dubost, and A. Dubus: Compte Rendus A Sci., 1985, vol. 301, p. 10.
- Dubost, B., Lang, J.-M., Tanaka, M., Sainfort, P., Audier, M. (1986) Nature 324: pp. 48 CrossRef
- Dubois, J.-M. (2005) Useful Quasicrystals. World Scientific, Singapore CrossRef
- M. Senechal: Quasicrystals and Geometry, 1995, Directions in Mathematical Quasicrystals, Cambridge University Press, 2000, M. Baake and R.V. Moody, eds., CRM Monograph Series, vol. 13, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI.
- IUCr Commission on Aperiodic Crystals: Acta Cryst., 1992, vol. A48, p. 928.
- Reminiscences About a Chemistry Nobel Prize Won with Metallurgy: Comments on D. Shechtman and I. A. Blech; Metall. Trans. A, 1985, vol. 16A, pp. 1005–12
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A
Volume 43, Issue 10 , pp 3411-3422
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors