Effect of Al on the NiAl-Type B2 Precipitates in Ferritic Superalloys
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Ultra-small-angle X-ray scattering (USAXS) is employed to quantify the average size, interparticle spacing, and volume fraction of the primary B2 precipitates in Fe-based superalloys with varying Al concentration. The results are analyzed with a model incorporating polydispersity and interference effects and verified by transmission electron microscopy (TEM) characterizations. As the Al amount increases from 4 to 10 mass pct, there is an approximately 40 pct decrease in the average interparticle spacing and ~30 pct reduction in the average particle diameter.
- C. Stallybrass, A. Schneider, and G. Sauthoff: Intermetallics, 2005, vol. 13, pp. 1263–68. CrossRef
- S.M. Zhu, S.C. Tjong, and J.K.L. Lai: Acta Mater., 1998, vol. 46, pp. 2969–76. CrossRef
- R. Taillard, A. Pineau, and B.J. Thomas: Mater. Sci. Eng., 1982, vol. 54, pp. 209–19. CrossRef
- Z.K. Teng, C.T. Liu, G. Ghosh, P.K. Liaw, and M.E. Fine: Intermetallics, 2010, vol. 18, pp. 1437–43. CrossRef
- Z.K. Teng, M.K. Miller, G. Ghosh, C.T. Liu, S. Huang, K.F. Russel, and P.K. Liaw: Scripta Mater., 2010, vol. 63, pp. 61–64. CrossRef
- H.A. Calderon: Ph.D. Dissertation, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, 1986.
- C. Stallybrass and G. Sauthoff: Mater. Sci. Eng. A, 2004, vol. 387, pp. 985–90. CrossRef
- M.E. Kassner and M.-T. Perez-Prado: Fundamentals of Creep in Metals and Alloys, 1st ed., Elsevier, New York, NY, 2004, pp. 151–69.
- J. Ilavsky, P.R. Jemian, A.J. Allen, F. Zhang, L.E. Levine, and G.G. Long: J. Appl. Crystallogr., 2009, vol. 42, pp. 469–79. CrossRef
- J. Ilavsky and P.R. Jemian: J. Appl. Crystallogr., 2009, vol. 42, pp. 347–53. CrossRef
- T. Zemb and P. Lindner: Neutron, X-rays and Light. Scattering Methods Applied to Soft Condensed Matter, 1st ed., Elsevier, Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 2002, p. 60.
- F. Farsaci, M.E. Fontanella, G. Salvato, F. Wanderlingh, R. Giordano, and U. Wanderlingh: Phys. Chem. Liq., 1989, vol. 20, pp. 205–20. CrossRef
- O. Glatter and O. Kratky: Small Angle X-ray Scattering, Academic Press, London, UK, 1982, pp. 17–51.
- D.A. Porter and K.E. Easterling: Phase Transformations in Metals and Alloys, 2nd ed., CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL, 2002, p. 267.
- V.S. Raghunathan and B.D. Sharma: Philos. Mag. A, 1981, vol. 43, pp. 427–40. CrossRef
- A. Broska, J. Wolff, M. Franz, and T. Hehenkamp: Intermetallics, 1999, vol. 7, pp. 259–67. CrossRef
- Effect of Al on the NiAl-Type B2 Precipitates in Ferritic Superalloys
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A
Volume 43, Issue 10 , pp 3423-3427
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Materials Science and Engineering, The University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN, 37996-2200, USA
- 2. GE Global Research, Niskayuna, NY, USA
- 3. Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, 60208-3108, USA
- 4. Indiana University Center for the Exploration of Energy and Matter, Bloomington, IN, 47408, USA
- 5. Physics Department, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 47405, USA
- 6. X-Ray Science Division, Advanced Photon Source, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL, 60439, USA
- 7. Oak Ridge National Laboratory, Oak Ridge, TN, 37831, USA