Interface between Quantum-Size-Effect Pb Nanocrystals and the Si(111)7 × 7 Substrate: an X-Ray Diffraction Study
In-situ X-ray diffraction is used to study the structure of Pb nanocrystalline islands grown on Si(111)7 × 7. The coverage dependence of the (0,8/7) surface reflection demonstrates that when the Pb nanocrystals nucleate, they consume the wetting layer. Concomitantly, the nanocrystals move away from the Si substrate and exhibit two-dimensional mosaicity in the substrate plane, while maintaining nearly perfect orientation in the direction perpendicular to the plane. These results, along with the fact that the nanocrystal interface is very smooth despite the highly corrugated substrate, indicate that the nanocrystals decouple from the Si substrate and provide an excellent interface to support electron standing waves that are needed for quantum-size effects (QSEs).
- M. Hupalo, S. Kremmer, V. Yeh, L. Berbil-Bautista, E. Abram, and M.C. Tringides: Surf. Sci., 2001, vol. 493, p. 526. CrossRef
- M.H. Upton, C.M. Wei, M.Y. Chou, T. Miller, and T.-C. Chiang: Phys. Rev. Lett., 2004, vol. 93, pp. 026802–05. CrossRef
- C.A. Jeffrey, E.H. Conrad, R. Feng, M. Hupalo, C. Kim, P.J. Ryan, P.F. Miceli, and M.C. Tringides: Phys. Rev. Lett., 2006, vol. 96, pp. 106105–08. CrossRef
- R. Feng, E.H. Conrad, M.C. Tringides, C. Kim, and P.F. Miceli: Appl. Phys. Lett., 2004, vol. 85, pp. 3866–68. CrossRef
- C.A. Jeffrey, R. Feng, E.H. Conrad, P.F. Miceli, C. Kim, M. Hupalo, M.C. Tringides, and P.J. Ryan: Superlattice. Microst., 2007, vol. 41, pp. 168–77. CrossRef
- R. Feng, E.H. Conrad, C.A. Jeffrey, C. Kim, M.W. Gramlich, S.T. Hayden, and P.F. Miceli: 2009, unpublished research.
- R. Feidenhans’l, F. Grey, M. Nielson, and R.L. Johnson: in Kinetics of Ordering and Growth at Surfaces, NATO ASI Series, M.G. Lagally, ed., Plenum Press, New York, 1990, pp. 189–207.
- Interface between Quantum-Size-Effect Pb Nanocrystals and the Si(111)7 × 7 Substrate: an X-Ray Diffraction Study
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A
Volume 41, Issue 5 , pp 1159-1161
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of Missouri–Columbia, Columbia, MO, 65211, USA
- 2. Abbott Point of Care, 436 Hazeldean Road, Ottawa, ON, Canada, K2L 1T9
- 3. Department of Physics and Research Institute for Basic Sciences, Kyunghee University, Seoul, 130-701, Korea
- 4. The Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, GA, 30332-0430, USA