Worldwide uptake of FRAX
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The worldwide uptake of FRAX is described.
The aim of this report was to determine the usage of FRAX worldwide over a 1-year period from 1 May 2012.
The number of FRAX calculations from each country was assessed over a 1-year period and expressed as calculations per million of the population aged 50 years or more. Countries were colour coded according to usage to populate a world map.
Over the index year, there were estimated to be 2,391,639 calculations sourced from 173 counties. Uptake was high in North America, the Antipodes and most countries of Europe; intermediate in Latin America and the Middle East; and very low in Africa and much of South East Asia.
It is expected that the comparative data will encourage the development of new FRAX models and the uptake of FRAX into assessment guidelines.
- Kanis JA, Johnell O, Oden A, Johansson H, McCloskey EV (2008) FRAX™ and the assessment of fracture probability in men and women from the UK. Osteoporos Int 19:385–397 CrossRef
- Kanis JA on behalf of the World Health Organization Scientific Group (2008) Assessment of osteoporosis at the primary health-care level. Technical report. WHO Collaborating Centre, University of Sheffield, Sheffield. http://www.shef.ac.uk/FRAX/pdfs/WHO_Technical_Report.pdf. Accessed May 2013
- Kanis JA, Oden A, Johnell O et al (2007) The use of clinical risk factors enhances the performance of BMD in the prediction of hip and osteoporotic fractures in men and women. Osteoporos Int 18:1033–1046 CrossRef
- Kanis JA, McCloskey EV, Johansson H, Cooper C, Rizzoli R, Reginster J-Y, on behalf of the Scientific Advisory Board of the European Society for Clinical and Economic Aspects of Osteoporosis and Osteoarthritis (ESCEO) and the Committee of Scientific Advisors of the International Osteoporosis Foundation (IOF) (2013) European guidance for the diagnosis and management of osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. Osteoporos Int 24:23–57 CrossRef
- Lekawasam S, Adachi JD, Agnusdei D, for the Joint IOF-ECTS GIO Guidelines Working Group et al (2012) A framework for the development of guidelines for the management of glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis. Osteoporos Int 23:2257–2276 CrossRef
- UN (2010) Population Division of the Department of Economic and Social Affairs of the United Nations Secretariat (2010) World Population Prospects: the 2010 revision. http://esa.un.org/unpd/wpp/index.htm. Accessed 16 May 2013
- Central Intelligence Agency (2013) The world fact book. https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/tw.html. Accessed May 2013
- Kanis JA, Borgström F, Compston J, Dreinhofer K, Nolte E, Jonsson L, Lems W, McCloskey EV, Rizzoli R, Stenmark J, Sundseth H (2013) SCOPE: a scorecard for osteoporosis in Europe. Arch Osteoporos 8:114
- Kanis JA, Odén A, McCloskey EV, Johansson H, Wahl D, Cyrus Cooper C, on behalf of the IOF Working Group on Epidemiology and Quality of Life (2012) A systematic review of hip fracture incidence and probability of fracture worldwide. Osteoporos Int 23:2239–2256
- Odén A, McCloskey EV, Johansson H, Kanis JA (2013) Assessing the impact of osteoporosis on the burden of hip fractures. Calcif Tissue Int 92:42–49 CrossRef
- Dachverband Osteologie e.V (2011) DVO guideline 2009 for prevention, diagnosis and therapy of osteoporosis in adults. Osteologie 20: 55–74. http://www.schattauer.de/en/magazine/subject-areas/journals-a-z/osteology/contents/archive/issue/special. Accessed May 2012
- Hippisley-Cox J, Coupland C (2012) Derivation and validation of updated QFracture algorithm to predict risk of osteoporotic fracture in primary care in the United Kingdom: prospective open cohort study. BMJ 344:e3427 CrossRef
- Dutch Institute for Healthcare Improvement (CBO) (2011) Richtlijn Osteoporose en fractuurpreventie, derde herziening. Utrecht: CBO
- Nguyen ND, Frost SA, Center JR, Eisman JA, Nguyen TV (2008) Development of prognostic nomograms for individualizing 5-year and 10-year fracture risks. Osteoporos Int 19:1431–1444 CrossRef
- Worldwide uptake of FRAX
Archives of Osteoporosis
- Online Date
- January 2014
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer London
- Additional Links
- Fracture risk assessment
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. WHO Collaborating Centre for Metabolic Bone Diseases, University of Sheffield Medical School, Beech Hill Road, Sheffield, S10 2RX, UK
- 2. MRC Lifecourse Epidemiology Unit, University of Southampton, Southampton, UK
- 3. NIHR Musculoskeletal Biomedical Research Unit, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK