Navier-Stokes computations of the supersonic ejector-diffuser system with a second throat
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The supersonic ejector-diffuser system with a second throat was simulated using CFD. An explicit finite volume scheme was applied to solve two-dimensional Navier-Stokes equations with standard k – ε turbulence model. The vacuum performance of the supersonic ejector-diffuser system was investigated by changing the ejector throat area ratio and the operating pressure ratio. Two convergent-divergent nozzles with design Mach number of 2.11 and 3.41 were selected to give the supersonic operation of the ejector-diffuser system. The presence of a second throat strongly affected the shock wave structure inside the mixing tube as well as the spreading of the under-expanded jet discharging from the primary nozzle. There were optimum values of the operating pressure ratio and ejector throat area ratio for the vacuum performance of the system to maximize.
- Fabri, J.; Siestrunck, R. “Supersonic Air Ejectors,” Advance in Applied Mechanics, N. Y. Academic Press, 5, pp. 1–34, (1958).
- Alperin, M.; Wu, J. J. “Thrust Augmenting Ejectors, Part 2,” AIAA Journal, 21, No.12, pp. 1698–1706, (1983).
- Yang, T. T.; Ntone, F.; Jiang, T.; Pitts, D. R. An Investigation of High Performance, Short Thrust Augmenting Ejectors,” ASME Journal of Fluid Engineering, 107, pp. 23–30, (1985). CrossRef
- Matsuo, K.; Sasaguchi, K; Tasaki, K.; Mochizuki, H. “Investigation of Supersonic Air Ejectors, Part 1, Performance in the Case of Zero-Secondary Flow,” Bulletin of JSME, Ser. B, 24, No.198, pp. 2090–2097, (1981).
- Liu, C. F.; Chen, F., “Analysis of Performance of the Second-Throat Ejector-Diffuser,” Journal of the Chinese Mechanical Engineering Society, 13, No. 5, pp. 478–482, (1992).
- Keenan, J. H.; Neumann, E. P.; Lustwerk, F.: “An Investigation of Ejector Design by Analysis and Experiment,” Journal of Applied Mechanics, 17, No. 3, pp. 299–309, (1950).
- Francis, W. E.; Hoggarth, M. L.; Templeman, J. J.: “The Design of Jet Pumps and Injectors for Gas Distribution and Combustion Purposes,” Proceedings of Symposium on Jet Pumps and Ejectors, BHRA Fluid Engineering-Institution of Chemical Engineers, No. 6, pp. 81–96, (1972).
- Hsu, C. T.; “Investigation of an Ejector Heat Pump by Analytical Methods,” ORNL/CON-144, Oak Ridge National Laboratory, (1972).
- Chow, W. L.; Addy, A. L.: “Interaction between Primary and Secondary Streams of Supersonic Ejector Systems and Their Performance Characteristics,” AIAA Journal, 11, No.4, (1964).
- Quinn, B. “Ejector Performance at High Temperatures and Pressures,” Journal of Aircraft, 13, No. 12, pp. 948–954, (1976). CrossRef
- Tillman, T. G.; Presz, Jr. W. M.: “Thrust Characteristics of a Supersonic Mixer Ejector,” Journal of Propulsion and Power, 11, No. 5, pp. 931–937, (1995).
- Nicholas, T. M. T.; Narayanan, A. K.; Muthunayagam, A. E.: “Mixing Pressure Rise Parameter for Effect of Nozzle Geometry in Diffuser-Ejectors,” Journal of Propulsion and Power, 12, No. 2, pp. 431–433, (1995).
- Kurian, J.: “Mixing Performance of Radially Lobed Supersonic Nozzles,” Proceedings of 13th International Symposium on Air Breathing Engines, ISABE 97-7122, 1, pp. 891–900, (1997).
- Srikrishnan, A. R.; Kurian, J.; Sriramulu, V.: “An Experimental Study on Mixing Enhancement by Petal Nozzle in Supersonic Flow,” Journal of Propulsion and Power, 12, No. 1, pp. 165–169, (1996).
- Kumar, R. R.; Kurian, J.: “Estimation of Mixing of High-Speed Streams,” Journal of Propulsion and Power, 12, No. 2, pp. 429–431, (1995). CrossRef
- Chen, F.; Liu, C. F.; Yang, J. Y.: “Supersonic Flow in the Second-Throat Ejector-Diffuser System,” Journal of Spacecraft and Rockets, 31, No. 1, pp. 123–129, (1994).
- Wang, J. J.; Chen, F.: “On the Start Condition of a Second-Throat Ejector-Diffuser,” Aeronutical Journal, 35, pp. 321–326, (1996).
- Matsuo, K.; Sasaguchi, K.; Tasaki, K.; Mochizuki, H.: “Investigation of Supersonic Air Ejectors, Part 2, Effects of Throat-Area-Ratio on Ejector Performance,” Bulletin of JSME, Ser. B, 25, No. 210, pp. 1898–1905, (1982).
- Matsuo, K.; Kim, H. D.: “Shock Train and Pseudo-Shock Phenomena in Internal Gas Flows,” Progress in Aerospace Sciences, 35, No. 1, pp. 33–100, (1999). CrossRef
- Navier-Stokes computations of the supersonic ejector-diffuser system with a second throat
Journal of Thermal Science
Volume 8, Issue 2 , pp 79-83
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Science Press
- Additional Links
- compressible flow
- supersonic ejector
- supersonic diffuser
- internal flow
- shock wave
- turbulent mixing
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. School of Mechanical Engineering, Andong National University 388, Songchun-dong, 760-749, Andong, Korea
- 2. Department of Mechanical Engineering, Saga University 1, Honjo-machi, Saga-shi, 840-8502, Saga, Japan
- 3. Institute of Engineering Thermophysics, Chinese Academy of Sciences, P.O. Box 2706, 100080, Beijing, China
- 4. Department of Aeronautical Engineering, The Queen’s University of Belfast, David Keir Building, Stranmillis Road, BT9 5AG, Belfast, Northern Ireland, UK