Three-dimensional numerical study on thermal performance of a super large natural draft cooling tower of 220m height
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Based on the heat and mass transfer theory and the characteristics of general-purpose software FLUENT, a three-dimensional numerical simulation platform, composed of lots of user defined functions(UDF), has been developed to simulate the thermal performance of natural draft wet cooling towers(NDWCTs). After validation, this platform is used to analyse thermal performances of a 220m high super large cooling tower designed for inland nuclear plant under different operational conditions. Variations of outlet temperature of the cooling tower caused by changes of water flow rates, inlet water temperatures are investigated. Effects of optimization through non-uniform water distributions on outlet water temperature are discussed, and the influences on the flow field inside the cooling tower are analyzed in detail. It is found that the outlet water temperature will increase as the water flow rate increases, but the air flow rate will decrease. The outlet water temperature will decrease 0.095K and 0.205K, respectively, if two non-uniform water distribution approaches are applied.
- G. Heidarinejad, M. Karami, S. Delfani, Numerical simulation of counter-flow wet-cooling towers, International Journal of Refrigeration, vol. 32, pp. 996–1002, (2009). CrossRef
- S.P. Fisenko, A.I. Pertruchik, A.D. Solodukhin, Evaporative cooling of water in a natural draft cooling tower, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 45, pp.4683–4694, (2002). CrossRef
- B.A. Qureshi, S. M. Zubair, A complete model of wet cooling towers with fouling in fills, Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 26, pp.1982–1989, (2006). CrossRef
- A. Klimaneck, R.A. Bialecki, Solution of heat and mass transfer in counterflow wet-cooling tower fills, International Communications in Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 36, pp.547–553, (2009). CrossRef
- L.X. Zhou, B. Jiang, Numerical study of cross wind effect on wet cooling tower thermal performance. Turbine Technology, vol.51, pp. 165–168, (2009).
- Q. Z. YE, Studies on the Development Strategy of China’s Nuclear Power, Power system and Clean Energy, vol.26, pp. 3–8, (2010).
- Merkel, VDI-Forschungsarb, no.275, Berlin, (1925).
- D.G. Krogger, Air-cooled Heat Exchangers and Cooling Towers, Penn Well Corp. Tulsa, USA, (2004).
- J.C. Kloppers, D.G. Krogger, A critical investigation into the heat and mass transfer analysis of counterflow wet-cooling towers, International journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, vol. 48, pp. 765–777, (2005). CrossRef
- J.C. Kloppers, D.G. Krogger, Cooling tower performance evaluation: Merkel, Poppe, and e-NTU methods of analysis, Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, vol.127, pp.1–7, (2005). CrossRef
- N. Williamson, M. Behnia, S. Armfield, Comparison of a 2D axisymmetric CFD model of a natural draft wet cooling tower and a 1D model. Internal Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer. vol.51, pp. 2227–2236, (2008). CrossRef
- N. Williamson, S. Armfield, M. Behnia, Numerical simulation of flow in a natural draft wet cooling tower-The effect of radial thermofluid fields, Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 28, pp. 178–189, (2008). CrossRef
- M.N.A. Hawlader, B.M. Liu, Numerical study of the thermal-hydraulic performance of evaporative natural draft cooling towers, Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 22, pp. 41–59, (2002). CrossRef
- R. Al-waked, M. Behina, The effect of windbreak walls on the thermal performance of natural draft dry cooling towers, Heat Transfer Engineering, vol.26, pp. 1–13, (2005). CrossRef
- R. Al-waked, M. Behina, CFD simulation of wet cooling towers, Applied Thermal Engineering, vol. 26, pp. 382–395, (2006). CrossRef
- R. Al-waked, Crosswinds effect on the performance of natural draft wet cooling towers, International Journal of Thermal Sciences, vol.49, pp. 218–224, (2010). CrossRef
- FLUENT. User’s Guide, Fluent Inc. Lebanon, USA, (2003).
- Kloppers, J. C., A Critical Evaluation and Refinement of the Performance of Wet-Cooling Towers, PHD Thesis, University of Stellenbosch, Stellenbosch, South Africa, (2003).
- Three-dimensional numerical study on thermal performance of a super large natural draft cooling tower of 220m height
Journal of Thermal Science
Volume 22, Issue 3 , pp 234-241
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- SP Science Press
- Additional Links
- Super Large Natural Draft Wet Cooling Tower
- Three-dimensional Numerical Simulation
- Thermal Performance
- Non-uniform Water Distribution