Shape optimization of inclined ribs as heat transfer augmentation device
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This work presents numerical optimization techniques for the design of a rectangular channel with inclined ribs to enhance turbulent heat transfer. The response surface method with Reynolds-averaged Navier-Stokes analysis is used for optimization. Shear stress transport turbulence model is used as a turbulence closure. Computational results for local heat transfer rate show a reasonable agreement with the experimental data. Width-to-rib height ratio and attack angle of the rib are chosen as design variables. The objective function is defined as a linear combination of heat-transfer and friction-loss related terms with the weighting factor. Full-factorial experimental design method is used to determine the data points. Optimum shapes of the channel have been obtained in a range of the weighting factor.
- Rau, G., Cakan, M., Moeller, D., Arts, T. (1998) The Effect of Periodic Ribs on the Local Aerodynamic and Heat Transfer Performance of a Straight Cooling Channel. ASME J. of Turbomachinery 120: pp. 368-375
- Han, J. C., Park, J. S., Lei, C. K. (1985) Heat Transfer Enhancement in Channels With Turbulence Promoters. ASME J. of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power 107: pp. 628-635 CrossRef
- Cho, H. H., Lee, S. Y., Wu, S. J. (2001) The Combined Effects of Rib Arrangements and Discrete Ribs on Local Heat/Mass Transfer in a Square Duct. IGTI Turbo Expo, Louisiana, USA
- Jia, R., Sunden, B. (2003) Prediction of Turbulent Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow in 2D Channels Roughened by Square and Deformed Ribs. IGTI Turbo Expo, Georgia, USA
- Iacovides, H., Raisee, M. (1999) Recent Progress in the Computation of Flow and Heat Transfer in Internal Cooling Passages of Turbine Blades. Int. J. Heat Fluid flow 20: pp. 320-328 CrossRef
- Kim, K. Y., Kim, S. S. (2002) Shape Optimization of Rib-Roughened Surface to Enhance Turbulent Heat Transfer. Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 45: pp. 2719-2727 CrossRef
- Kim, H. M., Kim, K. Y. (2004) Design optimization of rib-roughened channel to enhance turbulent heat transfer. Int. J. Heat Mass Transfer 47: pp. 5159-5168 CrossRef
- Myers, R. H., Montgomery, D. C. (1995) Response Surface Methodology: Process and Product Optimization Using Designed Experiments. John Wiley & Sons, New York
- Lee, S. Y., Kim, K. Y. (2000) Design Optimization of Axial Flow Compressor Blades with Three-Dimensional Navier-Stokes Solver. KSME Int. J. 14: pp. 1005-1012
- Ahn, C. S., Kim, K. Y. (2003) Aerodynamic Design Optimization of a Compressor Rotor with Navier-Stokes-analysis. Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part A — J. Power and Energy 217: pp. 179-184 CrossRef
- J. Sobieszczanski-Sobieski and R. T. Haftka, 1996, “Multi Disciplinary Aerospace Design Optimization: Survey of Recent Development,” AIAA Paper 96-0711.
- F. Menter and T. Esch, 2001, “Elements of Industrial heat Transfer Predictions,” 16th Brazilian Congress of Mechanical Engineering (COBEM), Uberlandia, Brazil.
- J. E. Bardina, P. G. Huang and T. Coakley, 1997, “Turbulence Modeling Validation,” AIAA Paper 97-2121.
- Iaccarino, G., Ooi, A., Durbin, P. A., Behnia, M. (2002) Conjugate Heat Transfer Predictions in Two-dimensional Ribbed Passages. Int. J. Heat Fluid flow 23: pp. 340-345 CrossRef
- W. Shyy, P. K. Tucker and R. Vaidyanathan, 1999, “Response surface and neural network techniques for rocket engine injector optimization,” AIAA-99-2455.
- N. Papila and W. Shyy, 2001, “Shape optimization of supersonic turbines using response surface and neural network methods,” AIAA 2001-1065.
- Madsen, J. I., Shyy, W., Haftka, R. T. (2000) Response surface techniques for diffuser shape optimization. AIAA J. 38: pp. 1512-1518 CrossRef
- R. Vaidyanathan, N. Papila, W. Shyy, P.K. Tucher, L. W. Griffin, R. T. Haftka and N. Fitz-Coy, 2000, “Neural network and response surface methodology for rocket engine component optimization,” AIAA-2000-4880.
- Metzger, D. E., Chyu, M. K., Bunker, R. S. In: Kim, J. H. eds. (1988) The Contribution of On-Rib Heat Transfer Coefficients to Total heat Transfer from Rib, Transport Phenomena in Rotating Machinery. Hemisphere Publishing Co., Washington, DC
- Petukhov, B. S. (1970) Advances in Heat Transfer Vol. 6. Academic Press, New York
- Taslim, M. E., Wadsworth, C. M. (1997) An Experimental Investigation of the Rib Surface-Averaged Heat Transfer Coefficient in a Rib Roughened Square Passage. ASME J. Turbomachinery 119: pp. 381-389 CrossRef
- Guinta, A. A. (1997) Aircraft multi-disciplinary design optimization using design of experimental theory and response surface modeling methods. Department of Aerospace Engineering, Virginia
- Shape optimization of inclined ribs as heat transfer augmentation device
Journal of Thermal Science
Volume 15, Issue 4 , pp 364-370
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Science Press
- Additional Links
- numerical optimization
- RANS analysis
- square ribs
- heat transfer
- response surface method
- Industry Sectors