An elite protocol for accelerated quality-cloning in Gerbera jamesonii Bolus cv. Sciella
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A novel, efficient, and simple protocol was developed on in vitro mass propagation and acclimatization of Gerbera jamesonii Bolus cv. Sciella, an ornamental plant with attractive flowers. Shoot tip was used as the primary explant for in vitro establishment in which Murashige and Skoog (MS) medium supplemented with a low level of NAA (0.5 mg l−1) and BAP (1.5 mg l−1) promoted earliest axillary bud initiation within 5 d in 91.6% of the inoculants. Five axillary buds were initiated from a single explant within 13 d after inoculation. A very high rate of shoot multiplication (14 shoots per inoculated axillary bud) and proliferation was achieved when MS medium was fortified with a relatively higher level of BAP (2 mg l−1) and 60 mg l−1 ADS within 27 d of multiple shoot culture. A maximum number of well-developed roots per plant was observed in MS medium with 0.5 mg l−1 IAA in the next 26 d. In the easy low-cost acclimatization process of 20 d, a combination of sand, soil, cow urine, and tea leaves extract (1:1:1:1; v/v) ensured 95% survival rate. Sixty-one well-acclimatized plants were obtained from a single shoot tip within 86 d. The sustained multiple shoot culture for 15 mo paved the way toward the conservation of genetic resources as well as beneficial economics. The clonal fidelity study of micropropagated and sustained cultured clones using ISSR primers ensured the continuous supply of quality propagules retaining genetic uniformity. The in vitro-generated plants performed better over conventionally propagated plants in the field condition.
- Alderete L. M.; Mori M.; Kato A.; Escandón A. S. Establishment of an in vitro micropropagation protocol for Mecardonia tenella. Electron J Biotechnol 9: 263–266; 2006. CrossRef
- Aswath C. R.; Choudhary M. L. Rapid plant regeneration from Gerbera jamesonii Bolus callus cultures. Acta Bot Croat 61: 125–134; 2002.
- Barbosa M. H. P.; Pasqual M.; Pinto J. E. B. P.; Pinto C. A. B. P. In vitro propagation of Gerbera jamesonii Bolus ex Hock cv. Applebloesem: Effect of adenine, tyrosine and salts concentrations of MS medium. Cienc Prat 17: 151–154; 1993.
- Bhatia R.; Sing K. P.; Jhang T.; Sharma T. R. Assessment of clonal fidelity of micropropagated gerbera plants by ISSR markers. Sci Hortic 119: 208–211; 2009. CrossRef
- Bose TK, Yadav LP (1993) Commercial flowers. Naya Prakash. 206 Bidhan Sarani, Kolkata. India: 601–622
- Chattopadhyay K.; Bhattacharyya S.; Mandal N.; Sarkar H. K. PCR-based characterization of mungbean (Vigna radiata) genotypes from Indian subcontinent at intra- and inter-specific level. J Plant Biochem Biotech 17: 141–148; 2008.
- Duncan D. B. Multiple range and multiple F test. Biometrics 11: 1–42; 1955. CrossRef
- Gantait S. Accelerated cloning in vitro and induction of variation in six plants having medicinal, aromatic or aesthetic importance. PhD Thesis, Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswavidyalaya, West Bengal., India: 166; 2009
- Gantait S.; Mandal N. Tissue culture of Anthurium anderanum: a significant review and future prospective. Int J Bot 6: 207–219; 2010.
- Gantait S.; Mandal N.; Bhattacharyya S.; Das P. K. In vitro mass multiplication with pure genetic identity in Anthurium andreanum Lind. Plant Tissue Cult Biotech 18: 113–122; 2008.
- Gantait S.; Mandal N.; Bhattacharyya S.; Das P. K. In vitro mass multiplication with genetic clonality in elephant garlic (Allium ampeloprasum L.). J Crop Weed 5: 100–104; 2009.
- George EF (1996) Plant propagation by tissue culture. Part 2. Exegetics Ltd., Edington, Westbury, Wilts, England UK
- George P. S.; Ravishankar G. A. In vitro multiplication of Vanilla planifolia using axillary bud explants. Plant Cell Rep 16: 490–494; 1997.
- Gustavsson B. A.; Stanys V. Field performance of sanna lingonberry derived by micropropagation vs stem cutting. Hortic Sci 35: 742–744; 2000.
- Henrique M.; Barbosa P.; Pinto J. E. B. P.; Pinto C. A. B. P.; Innecco R. In vitro propagation of Gerbera jamesonii Bolus ex Hook Appelbloesum using young capitilum. Rev Ceres 41: 386–395; 1994.
- Huang H.; Li L.; Shenghui S. Tissue culture of Gerbera jamesonii Bolus. Jishou Daxue Xuebao Ziran Kexueban 22: 35–41; 2001.
- Huang J. H. In vitro propagation and preservation of ginger germplasm resources. Sci Agri Sin 28: 24–30; 1995.
- Jerzy M.; Lubomski M. Adventitious shoot formation on ex vitro derived leaf explants of Gerbera jamesonii. Sci Hortic 47: 115–124; 1991. CrossRef
- Murashige T. Plant tissue culture and its biotechnological application. In Baez WE, Reinhard E, Zenk MH (eds) Springer, Amerdam, The Netherlands, 392–403; 1976
- Murashige T.; Skoog F. A revised medium for rapid growth and bio-assays with tobacco tissue cultures. Physiol Plant 15: 473–497; 1962. CrossRef
- Naik D.; Vartak V.; Bhargava S. Provenance and subculture-dependent variation during micropropagation of Gmelina arborea. Plant Cell Tissue Organ Cult 73: 189–195; 2003. CrossRef
- Orlikowska T.; Nowak E.; Marasek A.; Kucharska D. Effects of growth regulators and incubation period on in vitro regeneration of adventitious shoots from gerbera petioles. Plant Cell 59: 95–102; 1999.
- Parthasarathy V. A.; Nagaraju V. In-vitro propagation in Gerbera jemesonii Bolus. Ind J Hort 56: 82–85; 1999.
- Ray T.; Dutta I.; Saha P.; Das S.; Roy S. C. Genetic stability of three economically important micropropagated banana (Musa spp.) cultivars of Indo-Ganjetic plains, as assessed by RAPD and ISSR markers. Plant Cell Tissue Organ Cult 85: 11–21; 2006. CrossRef
- Ray T.; Saha P.; Roy S. C. In vitro plant regeneration from young capitulum explants of Gerbera jamesonii. Plant Cell Biotech Mol Biol 6: 35–40; 2005.
- Reynoird J. P.; Chriqui D.; Noin M.; Brown S.; Marie D. Plant regeneration from in vitro leaf culture of several gerbera species. Plant Cell Tissue Organ Cult 33: 203–210; 1993. CrossRef
- Ruffoni B.; Massabo F. Tissue culture in Gerbera jamesonii hybrida. Acta Hortic 289: 147–148; 1991.
- Sakila S.; Ahmed M. B.; Roy U. K.; Biswas M. K.; Karim R.; Razvy M. A.; Hossain M.; Islam R.; Hoque A. Micropropagation of strawberry (Fragaria x ananassa Duch.) a newly introduced crop in Bangladesh. Am-Eura J Sci Res 2: 151–154; 2007.
- Schiva T. Annali dell. Istituto Sperimentale per la Floricaltura 6: 133–135; 1975.
- Sharry E. S.; Teixeira da Silva J. A. Effective organogenesis, somatic embryogenesis and salt tolerance induction in vitro in the Persian Lilac tree (Melia azedarach L.). In: da Silva JA Teixeira (ed) Floriculture, ornamental and plant biotechnology: Advances and topical issues (vol 2). Global Science, Isleworth, pp 317–324; 2006.
- Thomas P.; Ravindra M. B. Effect of pruning or removal of in vitro formed roots on ex vitro root regeneration and growth in micropropagated grapes. Plant Cell Tissue Organ Cult 51: 177–180; 1997. CrossRef
- An elite protocol for accelerated quality-cloning in Gerbera jamesonii Bolus cv. Sciella
In Vitro Cellular & Developmental Biology - Plant
Volume 46, Issue 6 , pp 537-548
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Commercial scale
- Field performance
- Sustained culture
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Biotechnology, Instrumentation and Environmental Science, Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswavidyalaya, Mohanpur, W.B. 741252, India
- 2. Department of Genetics, Bidhan Chandra Krishi Viswavidyalaya, Mohanpur, W.B. 741252, India