A Peculiar Cause of Anaphylaxis: No More steak?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In recent years, a newly recognized allergic disease has been uncovered, and seemingly idiopathic causes of anaphylaxis now have an explanation. Individuals bitten by the lone star tick may develop IgE antibodies to the carbohydrate galactose-α-1,3-galactose (alpha-gal). Upon exposure of sensitized subjects to mammalian meat containing alpha-gal on glycoproteins or glycolipids, delayed anaphylaxis may ensue, often three to six hours after ingestion.1 Many of these individuals have negative allergy skin prick tests to meat, further obscuring the diagnosis. With the recent development of IgE alpha-gal tests, the clinical diagnosis can be confirmed in the laboratory.
- Commins, SP, Satinover, SM, Hosen, J, Mozena, J, Borish, L, Lewis, BD (2009) Delayed anaphylaxis, angioedema, or urticaria after consumption of red meat in patients with IgE antibodies specific for galactose-alpha-1,3-galactose. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 123: pp. 426-33 CrossRef
- Chung, CH, Mirakhur, B, Chan, E, Le, QT, Berlin, J, Morse, M (2008) Cetuximab-induced anaphylaxis and IgE specific for galactose-alpha-1,3-galactose. N Engl J Med. 358: pp. 1109-17 CrossRef
- Commins, SP, James, HR, Kelly, LA, Pochan, SL, Workman, LJ, Perzanowski, MS (2011) The relevance of tick bites to the production of IgE antibodies to the mammalian oligosaccharide galactose-alpha-1,3-galactose. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 127: pp. 1286,93.e6 CrossRef
- Commins, SP, Platts-Mills, TA (2009) Anaphylaxis syndromes related to a new mammalian cross-reactive carbohydrate determinant. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 124: pp. 652-7 CrossRef
- Qian, J, Liu, T, Yang, L, Daus, A, Crowley, R, Zhou, Q (2007) Structural characterization of N-linked oligosaccharides on monoclonal antibody cetuximab by the combination of orthogonal matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization hybrid quadrupole-quadrupole time-of-flight tandem mass spectrometry and sequential enzymatic digestion. Anal Biochem. 364: pp. 8-18 CrossRef
- O’Neil, BH, Allen, R, Spigel, DR, Stinchcombe, TE, Moore, DT, Berlin, JD (2007) High incidence of cetuximab-related infusion reactions in Tennessee and North Carolina and the association with atopic history. J Clin Oncol. 25: pp. 3644-8 CrossRef
- Chiggers, HYG-2100-98 [Internet]. Columbus, Ohio: Ohio State University Extension; 2007 [updated October 08, 2007; cited 4/30/2012]. Available from: http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2100.html.
- Commins, SP, Platts-Mills, TA (2010) Allergenicity of carbohydrates and their role in anaphylactic events. Curr Allergy Asthma Rep. 10: pp. 29-33 CrossRef
- Nunez, R, Carballada, F, Gonzalez-Quintela, A, Gomez-Rial, J, Boquete, M, Vidal, C (2011) Delayed mammalian meat-induced anaphylaxis due to galactose-alpha-1,3-galactose in 5 european patients. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 128: pp. 1122,4.e1
- A Peculiar Cause of Anaphylaxis: No More steak?
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 28, Issue 2 , pp 322-325
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. General Internal Medicine, Virginia Commonwealth University, PO BOX 980120, Richmond, VA, 23298-0102, USA
- 2. Division of Rheumatology, Allergy and Immunology, Virginia Commonwealth University, Richmond, VA, USA
- 3. Asthma and Allergic Diseases Center, The University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA, USA