Date: 11 Feb 2012
Is It Time for a Blood Pressure Measurement “Bundle”?
- Hodgkinson, J, Mant, J, Martin, U, Guo, B, Hobbs, FD, Deeks, JJ (2011) Relative effectiveness of clinic and home blood pressure monitoring compared with ambulatory blood pressure monitoring in diagnosis of hypertension: systematic review. BMJ 342: pp. d3621 CrossRef
- Powers, BJ, Olsen, MK, Smith, VA, Woolson, RF, Bosworth, HB, Oddone, EZ (2011) Measuring blood pressure for decision making and quality reporting: where and how many measures. Ann Intern Med 154: pp. 781-788
- Kim, JW, Bosworth, HB, Voils, CI, Olsen, M, Dudley, T, Gribbin, M (2005) How well do clinic-based blood pressure measurements agree with the mercury standard?. J Gen Intern Med 20: pp. 647-649 CrossRef
- Ray GM, Nawarskas JJ, Anderson JR. Blood Pressure Monitoring Technique Impacts Hypertension Treatment. J Gen Intern Med. 2011; doi:10.1007/s11606-011-1937-9.
- Pickering, TG, Hall, JE, Appel, LJ, Falkner, BE, Graves, J, Hill, MN (2005) Recommendations for blood pressure measurement in humans and experimental animals: part 1: blood pressure measurement in humans: a statement for professionals from the Subcommittee of Professional and Public Education of the American Heart Association Council on High Blood Pressure Research. Circulation 111: pp. 697-716 CrossRef
- Appel, LJ, Miller, ER, Charleston, J (2011) Improving the measurement of blood pressure: is it time for regulated standards?. Ann Intern Med 154: pp. 838-840
- Perencevich, EN, Lautenbach, E (2011) Infection prevention and comparative effectiveness research. JAMA 305: pp. 1482-1483 CrossRef
- Resar, R, Pronovost, P, Haraden, C, Simmonds, T, Rainey, T, Nolan, T (2005) Using a bundle approach to improve ventilator care processes and reduce ventilator-associated pneumonia. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 31: pp. 243-248
- What is a bundle? Institute for Healthcare Improvement Website. Available at: http://www.ihi.org/knowledge/Pages/ImprovementStories/WhatIsaBundle.aspx. Accessed January 9, 2012.
- McGuckin, M, Waterman, R, Porten, L, Bello, S, Caruso, M, Juzaitis, B (1999) Patient education model for increasing handwashing compliance. Am J Infect Control 27: pp. 309-314 CrossRef
- VanLare, JM, Conway, PH, Sox, HC (2010) Five next steps for a new national program for comparative-effectiveness research. N Engl J Med 362: pp. 970-973 CrossRef
- Conway, PH, Clancy, C (2010) Charting a path from comparative effectiveness funding to improved patient-centered health care. JAMA 303: pp. 985-986 CrossRef
- Speak Up Initiatives. The Joint Commission Website. Available at: http://www.jointcommission.org/speakup.aspx. Accessed January 4 2012.
- Anderson, J, Gosbee, LL, Bessesen, M, Williams, L (2010) Using human factors engineering to improve the effectiveness of infection prevention and control. Crit Care Med 38: pp. S269-S281 CrossRef
- Spear, ME (2002) Ergonomics and human factors in health care settings. Ann Emerg Med 40: pp. 213-216 CrossRef
- Bischoff, WE, Reynolds, TM, Sessler, CN, Edmond, MB, Wenzel, RP (2000) Handwashing compliance by health care workers: The impact of introducing an accessible, alcohol-based hand antiseptic. Arch Intern Med 160: pp. 1017-1021 CrossRef
- Pittet, D, Mourouga, P, Perneger, TV (1999) Compliance with handwashing in a teaching hospital. Infection Control Program. Ann Intern Med 130: pp. 126-130
- Boyce, JM (1999) It is time for action: improving hand hygiene in hospitals. Ann Intern Med 130: pp. 153-155
- Feldman RD. ACP Journal Club. Review: Home and clinic BP have limited accuracy compared with ambulatory BP for diagnosing hypertension. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2011;155(12):JC6–10.
- Powers, BJ, Oddone, EZ, Bosworth, HB (2011) Measuring blood pressure for decision making and quality reporting. Ann Intern Med 155: pp. 565-566
- Halamka, JD, Mandl, KD, Tang, PC (2008) Early experiences with personal health records. J Am Med Inform Assoc 15: pp. 1-7 CrossRef
- Chobanian, AV, Bakris, GL, Black, HR, Cushman, WC, Green, LA, Izzo, JL (2003) The Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure: the JNC 7 report. JAMA 289: pp. 2560-2572 CrossRef
- The Eighth Report of the Joint National Committee on the Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure (JNC 8). National Heart Lung and Blood Institute Website. Available at: http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/hypertension/jnc8/index.htm. Accessed January 5, 2012.
- Egan, BM, Zhao, Y, Axon, RN (2010) US trends in prevalence, awareness, treatment, and control of hypertension, 1988-2008. JAMA 303: pp. 2043-2050 CrossRef
- Is It Time for a Blood Pressure Measurement “Bundle”?
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 27, Issue 6 , pp 615-617
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Center for Evidence-based Practice, University of Pennsylvania Health System, 3535 Market Street, Mezzanine, Suite 50, Philadelphia, PA, 19104, USA
- 2. Department of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
- 3. Center for Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine, Philadelphia, PA, USA
- 4. Leonard Davis Institute of Health Economics, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, USA