LETTER TO THE EDITOR
Authors Reply:—We appreciate Dr. Rastegar’s observation that the focus of his opioid prescribing has changed over time and agree that this raises an intriguing question. While we know of no empiric evidence to support or refute the association between greater experience and use of a decision making framework that focuses on addiction, we fully agree that decision-making frameworks may not be static. In fact, we suspect that many physicians may have changed the focus of their pain treatment relatively recently. Approximately 20 years ago, pain specialists argued that the risk of addiction should not prevent the use of prescription opioids to manage chronic pain, and there was a shift in clinical consensus in favor of using opioids for pain. Consequently, rates of opioid prescribing increased dramatically,1,2 and there were substantial increases in drug-related emergency room visits, admissions to addiction treatment, and deaths from drug overdose.3,4,5 If greater experience is associate ...
- Joranson, DE, Ryan, KM, Gilson, AM, Dahl, JL (2000) Trends in medical use and abuse of opioid analgesics. JAMA 83: pp. 1710-1714 CrossRef
- Olsen, Y, Daumit, GL, Ford, DE (2006) Opiod prescriptions by U.S. primary care physicians from 1992 to 2001. J Pain 7: pp. 225-235 CrossRef
- Drug Abuse Warning Network, 2006: National estimates of drug-related emergency department visits. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. http://dawninfo.samhsa.gov/files/ED2006/DAWN2k6ED.pdf. Accessed May 18, 2009.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, Office of Applied Studies. Treatment Episode Data Set (TEDS) Highlights– 2006 National Admissions to Substance Abuse Treatment Services. OAS Series #S-40, DHHS Publication No. (SMA) 08–4313, Rockville, MD, 2007.
- Paulozzi, LJ, Budnitz, DS, Xi, Y (2006) Increasing deaths from opioid analgesics in the United States. Pharmacoepidemiol Drug Saf 15: pp. 618-627 CrossRef
- LETTER TO THE EDITOR
Journal of General Internal Medicine
Volume 24, Issue 9 , p 1082
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors