The Use of Over the Scope Clip (OTSC) Device for Sleeve Gastrectomy Leak
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Sleeve gastrectomy is increasing in popularity for the treatment of morbid obesity. The most significant complication posed is leak from the resection line. Typically, this occurs at the proximal end of the sleeve, adjacent the gastroesophageal junction. Such leaks can be notoriously persistent resulting in a chronic gastric fistula. Even when low in output, these fistulas rarely spontaneously resolve. It may mean months of poor health, multiple interventions and prolonged hospitalisation.
Various strategies have been employed to aid closure of a sleeve leak, including “drain and wait”, stenting, biological glues, mesh plugs and mucosal clips, all with variable and unreliable success. Many cases ultimately come to complex revisional surgery employing resection or diversion as a solution, but sometimes yielding a less than ideal bariatric result.
A simple endoscopic solution would be ideal to this difficult problem and potentially shift the paradigm of leak management. We report two conse ...
- Akkary, E, Duffy, A, Bell, R (2008) Deciphering the Sleeve: Technique, Indications, Efficacy and Safety of Sleeve Gastrectomy. Obesity Surgery 18: pp. 1323-1329 CrossRef
- Marquez, MF, Ayza, MF, Lozano, RB, Morales, M dM R, Diez, JMG (2010) Gastric Leak After Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy. Obesity Surgery 20: pp. 1306-1311 CrossRef
- Schweitzer, M, Steele, K, Mitchell, M, Okolo, P (2009) Transoral endoscopic closure of gastric fistula. Surgery for Obesity and Related Diseases 5: pp. 283-284 CrossRef
- Conio, M, Blanchi, S, Repici, A, Bastardini, R, Marinari, GM (2010) Use of an over-the scope clip for endoscopic sealing of a gastric fistula after sleeve gastrectomy. Endoscopy 42: pp. E71-E72 CrossRef
- Kouklakis G, Zezos P, Liratzopoulos N, Gatopoulou A, Oikonomou A, Pitiakoudis M et al. Endoscopic treatment of a gastrocutaneous fistula using the over-the-scope clip (OTSC) system: a case report. Diagnostic and Therapeutic Endoscopy. Volume 2011. 2011:384143. Epub 2011 May 29
- Surace, M, Mercky, P, Demarquay, JF, Gonzalez, JM, Dumas, R, Ah-Soune, P (2011) Endoscopic management of GI fistulae with over-the-scope clip system. Gastrointestinal Endoscopy 74: pp. 1416-1419 CrossRef
- The Use of Over the Scope Clip (OTSC) Device for Sleeve Gastrectomy Leak
Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery
Volume 17, Issue 3 , pp 606-608
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors