Date: 31 May 2008
Mechanical Bowel Preparation for Elective Colorectal Surgery: Is it Enough?
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The authors have no financial interests or potential conflicts of interests with the present articles, nor have received any funding for its conduction. The first author had full access to all of the data in the study and takes responsibility for the integrity of the data and the accuracy of the data analysis.
- Peppas G, Alexiou VG, Falagas ME. Bowel cleansing before bowel surgery: major discordance between evidence and practice. J Gastrointest Surg 2008; [Epub ahead of print].
- Brownson, P, Jenkins, S, Nott, D (1992) Mechanical bowel preparation before colorectal surgery: results of a prospective randomized trial [abstract]. Br J Surg 79: pp. 461-462
- Santos, JC, Batista, J, Sirimarco, MT, Guimarães, AS, Levy, CE (1994) Prospective randomized trial of mechanical bowel preparation in patients undergoing elective colorectal surgery. Br J Surg. 81: pp. 1673-1676 CrossRef
- Burke, P, Mealy, K, Gillen, P, Joyce, W, Traynor, O, Hyland, J (1994) Requirement for bowel preparation in colorectal surgery. Br J Surg 81: pp. 907-910 CrossRef
- Miettinen, RP, Laitinen, ST, Mäkelä, JT, Pääkkönen, ME (2000) Bowel preparation with oral polyethylene glycol electrolyte solution vs. no preparation in elective open colorectal surgery: prospective, randomized study. Dis Colon Rectum 43: pp. 669-675 CrossRef
- Zmora, O, Mahajna, A, Bar-Zakai, B, Rosin, D, Hershko, D, Shabtai, M (2003) Colon and rectal surgery without mechanical bowel preparation: a randomized prospective trial. Ann Surg 237: pp. 363-367 CrossRef
- Bucher, P, Gervaz, P, Soravia, C, Mermillod, B, Erne, M, Morel, P (2005) Randomized clinical trial of mechanical bowel preparation versus no preparation before elective left-sided colorectal surgery. Br J Surg 92: pp. 409-414 CrossRef
- Ram, E, Sherman, Y, Weil, R, Vishne, T, Kravarusic, D, Dreznik, Z (2005) Is mechanical bowel preparation mandatory for elective colon surgery? A prospective randomized study. Arch Surg. 140: pp. 285-288 CrossRef
- Fa-Si-Oen, P, Roumen, R, Buitenweg, J, Velde, C, Geldere, D, Putter, H (2005) Mechanical bowel preparation or not? Outcome of a multicenter, randomized trial in elective open colon surgery. Dis Colon Rectum 48: pp. 1509-1516 CrossRef
- Zmora, O, Mahajna, A, Bar-Zakai, B, Hershko, D, Shabtai, M, Krausz, MM (2006) Is mechanical bowel preparation mandatory for left-sided colonic anastomosis? Results of a prospective randomized trial. Tech Coloproctol 10: pp. 131-135 CrossRef
- Jung, B, Påhlman, L, Nyström, PO, Nilsson, E (2007) Multicentre randomized clinical trial of mechanical bowel preparation in elective colonic resection. Br J Surg 94: pp. 689-695 CrossRef
- Pena-Soria, MJ, Mayol, JM, Anula-Fernandez, R, Arbeo-Escolar, A, Fernandez-Represa, JA (2007) Mechanical bowel preparation for elective colorectal surgery with primary intraperitoneal anastomosis by a single surgeon: interim analysis of a prospective single-blinded randomized trial. J Gastrointest Surg 11: pp. 562-567 CrossRef
- Contant, CM, Hop, WC, van't Sant, HP, Oostvogel, HJ, Smeets, HJ, Stassen, LP (2007) Mechanical bowel preparation for elective colorectal surgery: a multicentre randomised trial. Lancet 370: pp. 2112-2117 CrossRef
- Jadad, AR, Moore, RA, Carroll, D, Jenkinson, C, Reynolds, DJ, Gavaghan, DJ (1996) Assessing the quality of reports of randomized clinical trials: is blinding necessary?. Control Clin Trials. 17: pp. 1-12 CrossRef
- Mechanical Bowel Preparation for Elective Colorectal Surgery: Is it Enough?
Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery
Volume 13, Issue 7 , pp 1392-1394
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors