Electromigration Dispersion in Capillary Electrophoresis
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In a previous paper (Ghosal and Chen in Bull. Math. Biol. 72:2047, 2010), it was shown that the evolution of the solute concentration in capillary electrophoresis is described by a nonlinear wave equation that reduced to Burger’s equation if the nonlinearity was weak. It was assumed that only strong electrolytes (fully dissociated) were present. In the present paper, it is shown that the same governing equation also describes the situation where the electrolytic buffer consists of a single weak acid (or base). A simple approximate formula is derived for the dimensionless peak variance which is shown to agree well with published experimental data.
- Babskii, V., Zhukov, M., & Yudovich, V. (1989). Mathematical theory of electrophoresis. New York: Plenum Publishing.
- Camilleri, P. (Ed.) (1998). Capillary electrophoresis, theory & practice. Boca Raton: CRC Press.
- Delinger, S. L., & Davis, J. M. (1992). Influence of analyte plug width on plate number in capillary electrophoresis. Anal. Chem., 64(17), 1947–1959. CrossRef
- Gaš, B. (2009). Theory of electrophoresis: Fate of one equation. Electrophoresis, 30, S7–S15. CrossRef
- Ghosal, S. (2004). Fluid mechanics of electroosmotic flow and its effect on band broadening in capillary electrophoresis. Electrophoresis, 25, 214–228. CrossRef
- Ghosal, S., & Chen, Z. (2010). Nonlinear waves in capillary electrophoresis. Bull. Math. Biol., 72, 2047–2066. CrossRef
- Ghosal, S., & Chen, Z. (2011, in review). Electromigration dispersion in a capillary in the presence of electro-osmotic flow. J. Fluid Mech.
- Helfferich, F. G. (1995). Ion exchange. New York: Courier Dover.
- Issaq, H. J., Atamna, I. Z., Muschik, G. M., & Janini, G. M. (1991). The effect of electric field strength, buffer type and concentration on separation parameters in capillary zone electrophoresis. Chromatographia, 32(3–4), 155–161. CrossRef
- Jorgenson, J. W., & Lukacs, K. D. (1981). Zone electrophoresis in open-tubular glass capillaries. Anal. Chem., 53(8), 1298–1302. CrossRef
- Landers, J. (Ed.) (1996). Introduction to capillary electrophoresis. Boca Raton: CRC Press.
- Lukacs, K. D., & Jorgenson, J. W. (1985). Capillary zone electrophoresis: Effect of physical parameters on separation efficiency and quantitation. HRC, J. High Resolut. Chromatogr., 8(8), 407–411. CrossRef
- Mikkers, F. (1999). Concentration distributions in capillary electrophoresis: Cze in a spreadsheet. Anal. Chem., 71, 522–533. CrossRef
- Mikkers, F., Everaerts, F., & Verheggen, T. P. (1979). Concentration distributions in free zone electrophoresis. J. Chromatogr., 169, 1–10. CrossRef
- Saville, D. A., & Palusinski, O. A. (1986). Theory of electrophoretic separations. Part I: Formulation of a mathematical model. AIChE J., 32(2), 207–214. CrossRef
- Thormann, W., Caslavska, J., Breadmore, M., & Mosher, R. (2009). Dynamic computer simulations of electrophoresis: Three decades of active research. Electrophoresis, 30, S16–S26. CrossRef
- Walbroehl, Y., & Jorgenson, J. W. (1989). Capillary zone electrophoresis for the determination of electrophoretic mobilities and diffusion coefficients of proteins. J. Microcolumn Sep., 1(1), 41–45. CrossRef
- Electromigration Dispersion in Capillary Electrophoresis
Bulletin of Mathematical Biology
Volume 74, Issue 2 , pp 346-355
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Capillary electrophoresis
- Electromigration dispersion
- Industry Sectors