Pigs and Packers
This study presents us with a number of issues that add complexity to the taken-for-granted practices of teaching immigrant children in the US. Furthermore, by contextualizing the events and dialogs within the larger contexts and contradictory discourses of the purposes of schooling vis-à-vis the globalizing dimension of ethnoscapes, the debate forces us to engage in theorizing within the discourses of correspondence (reproduction), resistance, agency, and hope. In what follows we engage in conversation where we each take turns interrogating, problematizing, and playing the role of the provocateur in order to elicit dialog among us and to advance the tremendous ideas put forth in Pigs and Packers. Across our comments, we ultimately struggle with three big ideas:
How are youth’s and teachers’ stories about science, self and future constructed within the discourse of science learning, ELL, dissection, and immigrant status? What roles do teachers, curriculum, institutional structures and l ...
- Anderson, G., Grinberg, J. (1998) Educational administration as a disciplinary practice: Appropriating Foucault’s view of power, discourse, and method. Educational Administration Quarterly 34: pp. 329-353 CrossRef
- Aronowitz, S., Giroux, H. A. (1985) Education under siege: The conservative, liberal and radical debate over schooling. Bergin & Garvey, South Hadley, MA
- Bourdieu, P., Passeron, J. (1977) Reproduction in education, society, and culture. Sage, London
- Brickhouse, N., Potter, J. (2001) Young women’s scientific identity formation in an urban context. Journal of Research in Science Teaching 38: pp. 965-980 CrossRef
- Calabrese Barton, A. (2003) Teaching science for social justice. Teachers College Press, New York
- Clandinin, D. J., Connelly, F. M. (2000) Narrative inquiry: Experience and story in qualitative research. Jossey-Bass, San Francisco
- Corburn, J. (2005) Street science. MIT Press, Cambridge, MA
- Eisenstadt, S., & Roniger, L. (Eds.) (1984). Patrons, clients and friends: Interpersonal relations and the structure of trust in society. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Fanon, F. (1963) The wretched of the earth. Grove Press, New York
- Foucault, M. (1980) The archaeology of knowledge. Pantheon Books, New York
- Freire, P. (1970). Pedagogy of the oppressed. (M. B. Ramos, Trans.). New York: Herder and Herder.
- Freire, P. (1988) Pedagogy of the oppressed. Continuum, New York
- Gordon, A. (1997) Ghostly matters: Haunting and the sociological imagination. University of Minnesota Press, Minneapolis
- Greene, M. (2001). Variations on a blue guitar: The Lincoln Center Institute Lectures on Aesthetic Education. New York: Teachers College Press.
- Grinberg, J., Saavedra, E. (2000) The constitution of bilingual/ESL education as a disciplinary practice: Genealogical explorations. Review of Educational Research 70: pp. 419-441 CrossRef
- Grinberg, J., Goldfarb, K., & Saavedra, E. (2005). Con coraje y con pasion: The schooling of Latinas/os and their teachers’ education. In P. Pedraza & M. Rivera (Eds.), Latino education: An agenda for community action research. A volume of the National Latino/a Education Research and Policy Projects (pp. 227–254). Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Kozoll, R., Osborne, M. (2004) Finding meaning in science: Life world, identity and self. Science Education 88: pp. 157-181 CrossRef
- Lipsitz, G. (1998) The possessive investment in whiteness. Temple University Press, Philadelphia
- Memmi, A. (1965) The colonizer and the colonized. Beacon, Boston, MA
- Noddings, N. (1984) Caring: A feminine approach to ethics and moral education. University of California Press, Berkeley
- Roniger, L. (1990). Hierarchy and trust in modern Mexico and Brazil. New York: Praeger.
- Spivak, G. C. (1988). Can the subaltern speak? In C. Nelson & L. Grossberg (Eds.), Marxism and the interpretation of culture (pp. 271–313). Basingstoke: Macmillan Education.
- Pigs and Packers
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Cultural Studies of Science Education
Volume 2, Issue 1 , pp 61-71
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links