Coupling Device and Distal Femoral Replacement for Periprosthetic Supracondylar Femur Fractures with an Ipsilateral Total Knee and Hip Replacement
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Periprosthetic supracondylar fractures in the setting of an ipsilateral total knee and hip replacement are a rare but serious orthopedic challenge.
Description of Technique
In this unique situation, we consider insertion of a custom coupling device with a distal femoral replacement as an appropriate surgical solution that allows for stability and preserves hip and knee functionality, while not relying on the poor healing potential of the remaining intercalary femoral bone.
Patients and Methods
We report the outcomes of two patients who underwent this custom coupling procedure.
These custom devices resulted in successful outcomes with restoration of ambulatory function and range of motion at greater than 14 months follow-up.
We found that this technique provides sufficient stability and preserves functionality in a difficult-to-treat patient population. The results indicate that this technique may be considered as an alternative to more invasive procedures including total femoral replacement and complete femoral allograft constructs.
- Berend, KR, Lombardi, AV, Mallory, TH, Adams, JB, Dodds, KL (2004) Total femoral arthroplasty for salvage of end-stage prosthetic disease. Clin. Orthop. Relat. Res. 427: pp. 162-170 CrossRef
- Foster, TE, Healy, WL (1991) Operative management of distal femoral fractures. Orthop Rev 20: pp. 962-969
- Jabczenski, FF, Crawford, M (1995) Retrograde intramedullary nailing of supracondylar femur fractures above total knee arthroplasty. A preliminary report of four cases. J Arthroplasty. 10: pp. 95-101
- Kraay, MJ, Goldberg, VM, Figgie, MP, Figgie, HE (1992) Distal femoral replacement with allograft/prosthetic reconstruction for treatment of supracondylar fractures in patients with total knee arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty 7: pp. 7-16 CrossRef
- Kregor, PJ, Hughes, JL, Cole, PA (2001) Fixation of distal femoral fractures above total knee arthroplasty utilizing the Less Invasive Stabilization System (L.I.S.S.). Injury 32: pp. SC64-75 CrossRef
- Kurtz, S, Mowat, F, Ong, K (2005) Prevalence of primary and revision total hip and knee arthroplasty in the United States from 1990 through 2002. J Bone Joint Surg Am 87: pp. 1487-1497 CrossRef
- Lachiewicz, PF (2007) Periprosthetic fracture between a constrained total knee arthroplasty and a long-stem total hip arthroplasty: treatment with a novel device. J Arthroplasty 22: pp. 449-452 CrossRef
- McGraw, P, Kumar, A (2010) Periprosthetic fractures of the femur after total knee arthroplasty. J Orthop Traumatol 11: pp. 135-141 CrossRef
- Mortazavi, SMJ, Kurd, MF, Bender, B (2010) Distal femoral arthroplasty for the treatment of periprosthetic fractures after total knee arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty 25: pp. 775-780 CrossRef
- Osagie, LE, Bostrom, MPG (2011) A custom coupling device of total knee and ipsilateral total hip arthroplasties after distal femoral fracture. J Arthroplasty 26: pp. 1571.e1-3 CrossRef
- Peters, CL, Hickman, JM, Erickson, J (2006) Intramedullary total femoral replacement for salvage of the compromised femur associated with hip and knee arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty 21: pp. 53-58 CrossRef
- Smith, WJ, Martin, SL, Mabrey, JD (1996) Use of a supracondylar nail for treatment of a supracondylar fracture of the femur following total knee arthroplasty. J Arthroplasty 11: pp. 210-213 CrossRef
- Tillman, R, Kalra, S, Grimer, R, Carter, S, Abudu, A (2006) A custom-made prosthesis attached to an existing femoral component for the treatment of peri- and sub-prosthetic fracture. J Bone Joint Surg Br 88: pp. 1299-1302 CrossRef
- Urch, SE, Moskal, JT (1998) Simultaneous ipsilateral revision total hip arthroplasty and revision total knee arthroplasty with entire femoral allograft. J Arthroplasty 13: pp. 833-836 CrossRef
- Coupling Device and Distal Femoral Replacement for Periprosthetic Supracondylar Femur Fractures with an Ipsilateral Total Knee and Hip Replacement
HSS Journal ®
Volume 10, Issue 1 , pp 68-72
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- periprosthetic fracture
- coupling device
- femoral replacement
- total knee replacement
- total hip replacement
- Industry Sectors