Rhabdomyolysis is a Potential Complication of Total Hip Arthroplasty in the Morbidly Obese
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Rhabdomyolysis (RML) can complicate prolonged surgery and may lead to renal failure and death. Obese patients are at high risk for this complication. This complication has been recently described in bariatric surgery and prolonged spine surgery, but it is not well recognized in patients undergoing THA. We present an obese patient (BMI = 50) who developed RML and acute kidney injury after a total hip arthroplasty.
- Alterman I, Sidi A, Azamfirei L, Copotoiu S, Ezri T. Rhabdomyolysis: Another complication after prolonged surgery. J Clin Anesth. 2007;1:64–66.
- Bertrand M, Godet G, Fleron MH, Bernard MA, Orcel P, Riou B, Kieffer E, Coriat P. Lumbar muscle rhabdomyolysis after abdominal aortic surgery. Anesth Analg. 1997;1:11–15.
- Bostanjian D, Anthone GJ, Hamoui N, Crookes PF. Rhabdomyolysis of gluteal muscles leading to renal failure: A potentially fatal complication of surgery in the morbidly obese. Obes Surg. 2003;2:302–305.
- Dakwar E, Rifkin SI, Volcan IJ, Goodrich JA, Uribe JS. Rhabdomyolysis and acute renal failure following minimally invasive spine surgery: Report of 5 cases. J Neurosurg Spine. 2011;6:785–788.
- de Freitas Carvalho DA, Valezi AC, de Brito EM, de Souza JC, Masson AC, Matsuo T. Rhabdomyolysis after bariatric surgery. Obes Surg. 2006;6:740–744.
- Efstratiadis G, Voulgaridou A, Nikiforou D, Kyventidis A, Kourkouni E, Vergoulas G. Rhabdomyolysis updated. Hippokratia. 2007;3:129–137.
- Ettinger JE, de Souza CA, Santos-Filho PV, Azaro E, Mello CA, Fahel E, Batista PB. Rhabdomyolysis: Diagnosis and treatment in bariatric surgery. Obes Surg. 2007;4:525–532.
- Ettinger JE, Marcilio de Souza CA, Azaro E, Mello CA, Santos-Filho PV, Orrico J, Santana RC, Amaral P, Fahel E, Batista PB. Clinical features of rhabdomyolysis after open and laparoscopic roux-en-Y gastric bypass. Obes Surg. 2008;6:635–643.
- Foster MR. Rhabdomyolysis in lumbar spine surgery: A case report. Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2003;14:E276–8.
- Harms S, Larson R, Sahmoun AE, Beal JR. Obesity increases the likelihood of total joint replacement surgery among younger adults. Int Orthop. 2007;1:23–26.
- Karcher C, Dieterich HJ, Schroeder TH. Rhabdomyolysis in an obese patient after total knee arthroplasty. Br J Anaesth. 2006;6:822–824.
- Lachiewicz PF, Latimer HA. Rhabdomyolysis following total hip arthroplasty. J Bone Joint Surg Br. 1991;4:576–579.
- Lagandre S, Arnalsteen L, Vallet B, Robin E, Jany T, Onraed B, Pattou F, Lebuffe G. Predictive factors for rhabdomyolysis after bariatric surgery. Obes Surg. 2006;10:1365–1370.
- Mognol P, Vignes S, Chosidow D, Marmuse JP. Rhabdomyolysis after laparoscopic bariatric surgery. Obes Surg. 2004;1:91–94.
- Ogden CL, Carroll MD, Curtin LR, McDowell MA, Tabak CJ, Flegal KM. Prevalence of overweight and obesity in the united states, 1999–2004. JAMA. 2006;13:1549–1555.
- Palmer SH, Graham G. Tourniquet-induced rhabdomyolysis after total knee replacement. Ann R Coll Surg Engl. 1994;6:416–417.
- Papadakis M, Sapkas G, Tzoutzopoulos A. A rare case of rhabdomyolysis and acute renal failure following spinal surgery. J Neurosurg Spine. 2008;4:387–389.
- Smith JW, Pellicci PM, Sharrock N, Mineo R, Wilson PD,Jr. Complications after total hip replacement. the contralateral limb. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1989;4:528–535.
- Vijay MK, Vijay P, Kundu AK. Rhabdomyolysis and myogloginuric acute renal failure in the lithotomy/exaggerated lithotomy position of urogenital surgeries. Urol Ann. 2011;3:147–150.
- Warren JD, Blumbergs PC, Thompson PD. Rhabdomyolysis: A review. Muscle Nerve. 2002;3:332–347.
- Ziser A, Friedhoff RJ, Rose SH. Prone position: Visceral hypoperfusion and rhabdomyolysis. Anesth Analg. 1996;2:412–415.
- Rhabdomyolysis is a Potential Complication of Total Hip Arthroplasty in the Morbidly Obese
HSS Journal ®
Volume 9, Issue 2 , pp 200-202
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- total hip arthroplasty
- acute kidney injury
- Industry Sectors