Novel Treatment of a Failed Quadriceps Tendon Repair in a Diabetic Patient Using a Patella-Quadriceps Tendon Allograft
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Recurrent quadriceps tendon rupture is a debilitating condition that may be challenging to treat, especially in the presence of systemic disease such as diabetes mellitus (Bedi et al., J Shoulder Elbow Surg 19:978–988, 2010; Chbnou and Frenette, Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol 5:R952–R957, 2004; Chen et al., J Shoulder Elbow Surg 5:416–421, 2003). Many surgical treatment protocols have been proposed (Azar, in Canale and Beatty, eds., Campbell’s Operative Orthopedics, Mosby/Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA, 2008; Ilan et al., J Am Acad Orthop Surg 3:192–200, 2003; Rodeo and Izawa, in Garrett et al., eds., Principles and Practice of Orthopedic Sports Medicine, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA, 2000). We report the case of a diabetic male with multiple treatment failures. He ultimately sustained a good outcome following treatment with a novel surgical technique that utilized a patella quadriceps tendon allograft. Tendon allograft-to-native bone healing had previously failed in this patient, so we used a bone-tendon construct allograft to provide an allograft bone-to-native bone healing site. Now, 13 months postoperative, the patient has increased strength, minimal pain, 20 ° of extensor lag and 130 ° of flexion.
- Azar FM. Chapter 46: Traumatic disorders. In: Canale ST, Beaty JH, eds. Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 11th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Mosby/Elsevier; 2008:2737.
- Bedi A, Fox AJ, Harris PE, Deng XH, Ying L, Warren RF, Rodeo SA. Diabetes mellitus impairs tendon-bone healing after rotator cuff repair. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2010.
- Chbinou, N, Frenette, J (2004) Insulin-dependent diabetes impairs the inflammatory response and delays angiogenesis following Achilles tendon injury. Am J Physiol Regul Integr Comp Physiol. 5: pp. R952-7 CrossRef
- Chen, AL, Shapiro, JA, Ahn, AK, Zuckerman, JD, Cuomo, F (2003) Rotator cuff repair in patients with type I diabetes mellitus. J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 5: pp. 416-421 CrossRef
- DeFranco, MJ, Derwin, K, Iannotti, JP (2004) New therapies in tendon reconstruction. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 5: pp. 298-304
- Evans, PD, Pritchard, GA, Jenkins, DH (1987) Carbon fibre used in the late reconstruction of rupture of the extensor mechanism of the knee. Injury. 1: pp. 57-60 CrossRef
- Getgood, A, Bollen, S (2010) What tissue bankers should know about the use of allograft tendons and cartilage in orthopaedics. Cell Tissue Bank. 1: pp. 87-97 CrossRef
- Ilan, DI, Tejwani, N, Keschner, M, Leibman, M (2003) Quadriceps tendon rupture. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 3: pp. 192-200
- Levy, M, Goldstein, J, Rosner, M (1987) A method of repair for quadriceps tendon or patellar ligament (tendon) ruptures without cast immobilization. preliminary report. Clin Orthop Relat Res. 218: pp. 297-301
- Longo UG, Lamberti A, Maffulli N, Denaro V. Tendon augmentation grafts: A systematic review. Br Med Bull. 2010:165–188.
- Maffulli, N, Longo, UG, Maffulli, GD, Khanna, A (2010) Denaro V. Achilles tendon ruptures in diabetic patients, Arch Orthop Trauma Surg
- Rodeo SA, Izawa K. Chapter 39: Diagnosis and treatment of knee tendon injury. In: Garrett WE, Speer KP, Kirkendall DT, Kitkowski MD, eds. Principles and Practice of Orthopaedic Sports Medicine. Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2000:687.
- Truong, DT, Dussault, RG, Kaplan, PA (1995) Fracture of the os peroneum and rupture of the peroneus longus tendon as a complication of diabetic neuropathy. Skeletal Radiol. 8: pp. 626-628
- Valdes, MA, Thakur, NA, Namdari, S, Ciombor, DM, Palumbo, M (2009) Recombinant bone morphogenic protein-2 in orthopaedic surgery: A review. Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 12: pp. 1651-1657 CrossRef
- Novel Treatment of a Failed Quadriceps Tendon Repair in a Diabetic Patient Using a Patella-Quadriceps Tendon Allograft
HSS Journal ®
Volume 9, Issue 2 , pp 195-199
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors