CEOs from Orthopaedic Centers Worldwide Meet to Discuss Common Challenges: 2010 Annual Meeting of the International Society of Orthopaedic Centers
The International Society of Orthopaedic Centers was formed in 2006 as a think tank that would bring together thought leaders in orthopaedic surgery from major orthopaedic academic centers around the world. The Society’s mission is to share knowledge and strategies, improve patient care, and foster clinical, educational, and scientific collaboration. As the Society’s agendas developed, the members recognized that many of their aims intersected with those of hospital leadership. Thus, CEOs from member centers were invited to join their physician colleagues at the 2010 meeting in Bologna, Italy in order to explore solutions to administrative challenges related to patient care, volume growth, and costs. This paper describes the dialogue that took place at the meeting.
- American College of Healthcare Executives announces top issues confronting hospitals. www.ache.org/Pubs/Releases/2010/TopIssues_2010.pdf. Accessed 2 Jul 2010.
- Bohmer RMJ. Fixing health care on the front lines. Harv Bus Rev 2010; 88:62–69.
- Herzlinger RE. Hospital for Special Surgery (C): Continuing challenges of growth. Cambridge, MA; Harvard Business Publishing for Educators; January 25, 2010.
- Levin-Scherz J. What drives high health care costs—and how to fight back. Harv Bus Rev 2010; 88:72–73.
- Edwards TB. The globalization of orthopaedics. Orthopaedics 2001; 24:1032–1036.
- Leong JCY. Should orthopaedics be globalised? Int Orthop 2005; 29:201–204. CrossRef
- Sculco TP, Klinghoffer IP. Global musculoskeletal health: inaugural meeting of the International Society of Orthopaedic Centers. HSSJ 2008; 5:24–26. CrossRef
- Sussmann PS, Simmen BR, Goldhahn J, ISOC participants, Sculco TP (2010) Challenges for large orthopaedic hospitals worldwide—an ISOC position statement. HSS J 2010; 6:57–60. CrossRef
- De Koning H, Verver JPS, van den Heuvel J, Bisgaard S, Does RJMM. Lean Six Sigma in healthcare. J Healthc Qual 2006; 206:174.
- CEOs from Orthopaedic Centers Worldwide Meet to Discuss Common Challenges: 2010 Annual Meeting of the International Society of Orthopaedic Centers
- Open Access
- Available under Open Access This content is freely available online to anyone, anywhere at any time.
Volume 7, Issue 2 , pp 179-182
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- hospital CEOs
- International Society of Orthopaedic Centers (ISOC)
- orthopaedic surgeons
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Hospital for Special Surgery, 535 East 70th Street, New York, NY, 10021, USA
- 2. Schulthess Klinik, Lëngghalde 2, 3003, Zurich, Switzerland
- 3. Istituto Ortopedico Rizzoli, via Giulio Cesare Pupilli, 1, 40136, Bologna, Italy