What Role Should Propositions Have in the Theory of Meaning? Review Essay: Scott Soames. What is meaning?
- Kirk Ludwig
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
What is Meaning? addresses “an unsolved problem at the heart of our conception of what meaning is, and what we want from a theory of meaning” (p. 2). The problem is whether propositions, as they are traditionally conceived, can play the roles intended for them in theories of language and mind.
In approaches to the theory of meaning that trace their lineage back to Frege, propositions are structured sentence meanings, construed as abstract objects. They intrinsically represent states of affairs and are the timeless bearers of truth-values. In virtue of this they are to be able to play their various roles in our theories of thought and meaning. They are the referents of names (‘Logicism’, ‘The Banach-Tarski Paradox’) and demonstratives (‘That’s true/false’, ‘That’s surprising!’), the values of variables of quantification (‘Of all the mathematical conjectures proven in the 20th century perhaps the most famous was Fermat’s Last Theorem’), and the objects of belief and other attitudes (‘Why, ...
- Davidson, D. (2001a). Radical Interpretation. In: Inquiries into Truth and Interpretation. New York: Clarendon Press. Original edition, 1973
- Davidson, D. (2001b). Reply to Foster. In: Inquiries into Truth and Interpretation. New York: Clarendon Press. Original edition, 1976.
- Hanks, P. (2011). Structured propositions as types. Mind, 120, 11–53. CrossRef
- Lepore, E., & Ludwig, K. (2005). Donald Davidson: Meaning, truth, language, and reality. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Lepore, E., & Ludwig, K. (2011). Truth and meaning redux. Philosophical Studies, 154, 251–277. CrossRef
- Soames, S. (2008). Truth and meaning: in perspective. Truth and Its Deformities: Midwest Studies in Philosophy, 32, 1–19. CrossRef
- What Role Should Propositions Have in the Theory of Meaning? Review Essay: Scott Soames. What is meaning?
Volume 40, Issue 4 , pp 885-901
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Kirk Ludwig (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Philosophy Department, Indiana University, Bloomington, IN, 47405-7005, USA