Permissibility and Violable Rules
- Darrell P. Rowbottom
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
From a logical point of view, permissibility can be reduced to possibility by introducing demands which can be met. The alleged reduction is circular from a philosophical perspective, however, because demands are fundamentally deontic. This paper solves this problem by replacing demands which can be met with rules which can be satisfied and violated.
- Anderson, A. R. (1956). The formal analysis of normative systems. In N. Rescher (Ed.) The logic of decision and action pp. 147–213. Pittsburgh: University of Pittsburgh Press.
- Anderson, A. R. (1958). A reduction of deontic logic to alethic modal logic. Mind, 67, 100–103. CrossRef
- Fine, K. (2002). The varieties of necessity. In T. S. Gendler, & J. Hawthorne (Eds.) Conceivability and Possibility pp. 253–282. Oxford: Oxford University Press Reprinted in Fine, K. 2005, Modality and Tense: Philosophical Papers (Oxford: Oxford University Press), 235–260.
- Kanger, S. (1971 ). New foundations for ethical theory. In R. Hilpinen (Ed.) Deontic logic: introductory and systematic readings pp. 36–58. Dordrecht: Reidel.
- Lowe, E. J. (1998). The possibility of metaphysics: substance, identity and time. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- McNamara, P. (2006). Deontic Logic. In E. N. Zalta (Ed.), The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (Spring 2006 Edition). Retrieved from http://plato.stanford.edu/archives/spr2006/entries/logic-deontic/.
- Prior, A. N. (1962 ). Formal logic. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Rawls, J. (1955). Two concepts of rules. The Philosophical Review, 64, 3–32. CrossRef
- Ruben, D. -H. (1997). John Searle’s The Construction of Social Reality, Philosophy and Phenomenological Research, 57, 443–447. CrossRef
- von Wright, G. H. (1951). Deontic logic. Mind, 60, 1–15. CrossRef
- von Wright, G. H. (1968). An essay in deontic logic and the general theory of action. Amsterdam: North Holland.
- Permissibility and Violable Rules
Volume 36, Issue 3 , pp 367-374
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Deontic logic
- Modal logic
- Darrell P. Rowbottom (1) (2)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Philosophy, Bristol University, 9 Woodland Road, Bristol, BS8 1TB, UK
- 2. University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland