Life cycle assessment (LCA) applied to the process industry: a review
- Leslie JacqueminAffiliated withLaboratoire de Chimie Agro-industrielle, Université de Toulouse, INP-ENSIACET, LCAINRA, UMR 1010 CAI Email author
- , Pierre-Yves PontalierAffiliated withLaboratoire de Chimie Agro-industrielle, Université de Toulouse, INP-ENSIACET, LCAINRA, UMR 1010 CAI
- , Caroline SablayrollesAffiliated withLaboratoire de Chimie Agro-industrielle, Université de Toulouse, INP-ENSIACET, LCAINRA, UMR 1010 CAI
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Life cycle assessment (LCA) methodology is a well-established analytical method to quantify environmental impacts, which has been mainly applied to products. However, recent literature would suggest that it has also the potential as an analysis and design tool for processes, and stresses that one of the biggest challenges of this decade in the field of process systems engineering (PSE) is the development of tools for environmental considerations.
This article attempts to give an overview of the integration of LCA methodology in the context of industrial ecology, and focuses on the use of this methodology for environmental considerations concerning process design and optimization.
The review identifies that LCA is often used as a multi-objective optimization of processes: practitioners use LCA to obtain the inventory and inject the results into the optimization model. It also shows that most of the LCA studies undertaken on process analysis consider the unit processes as black boxes and build the inventory analysis on fixed operating conditions.
The article highlights the interest to better assimilate PSE tools with LCA methodology, in order to produce a more detailed analysis. This will allow optimizing the influence of process operating conditions on environmental impacts and including detailed environmental results into process industry.
KeywordsLife cycle assessment Process systems engineering Environmental design and optimization Eco-friendly processes Industrial ecology
- Life cycle assessment (LCA) applied to the process industry: a review
The International Journal of Life Cycle Assessment
Volume 17, Issue 8 , pp 1028-1041
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Life cycle assessment
- Process systems engineering
- Environmental design and optimization
- Eco-friendly processes
- Industrial ecology
- Industry Sectors