Culture and entrepreneurial orientation: a multi-country study
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Entrepreneurial orientation (EO) has been proven as an essential attribute of high performing firms, and the role of culture has been highlighted for generating robust EO. The purpose of this study is to investigate the role of culture by identifying differences among the selected nations in terms of EO dimensions. This is an empirical study based on the data collected from university students in the U.S., Korea, Fiji, India, and Malaysia representing nations with significantly different cultural contexts. The result showed significant differences among the nations in most EO dimensions. This implies that customized education approaches based on unique cultural context are needed for developing EO among college students.
- Baum, J.R. (2003). Entrepreneurial orientation and strategic decision speed. Proceeding: Academy of Management Conference, Seattle, Washington.
- Becherer, R. C., & Maurer, J. (1997). The moderating effect of environmental variables on the entrepreneurial and marketing orientation of entrepreneur-led firms. Entrepreneurship Theory and Practice, 22, 71–94.
- Bettis, R., & Hitt, M. (1995). The new competitive landscape. Strategic Management Journal, 16(S1)), 7–19. doi:10.1002/smj.4250160915. CrossRef
- Bureau of Labor Statistics.(2008) Economy at a glance, http://www.bls.gov/eag/eag.us.htm#eag_us1.f.P, Accessed on October 22, 2008
- Covin, J., & Slevin, D. (1989). Strategic management of small firms in hostile and benign environments. Strategic Management Journal, 10, 75–87. doi:10.1002/smj.4250100107. CrossRef
- Dess, G., Lumpkin, G., & Covin, J. (1997). Entrepreneurial strategy making and firm performance: Tests of contingency and configurational models. Strategic Management Journal, 18, 677–695. doi:10.1002/(SICI)1097-0266(199710)18:9<677::AID-SMJ905>3.0.CO;2-Q. CrossRef
- Dess, G., Lumpkin, G., & McGee, J. (1999). Linking corporate entrepreneurship to strategy, structure, and process: suggested research directions. Entrepreneurship: Theory & Practice, 23, 85–102.
- Dilts, J. & Hanlon, S. (2002). Marketing strategy selection: Impact of entrepreneurial orientation and environmental perceptions. Marketing Management Journal, Spring, 32-48.
- Franko, L. (1989). Global corporate competition: who’s winning, who’s losing, and the R&D factor as one reason why. Strategic Management Journal, 10(5), 449–474. doi:10.1002/smj.4250100505. CrossRef
- Gopalakrishnan, R. (2004). Unleashing Indian entrepreneurship-I: The changing mindset. Business Line, Chennai, Periodical, June 11, p.1. Accessed at http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2004/01/26/stories/2004012601390300.htm on 26/01/2004.
- Knight, G. (1997). Cross-cultural reliability and validity of a scale to measure firm entrepreneurial orientation. Journal of Business Venturing, 12, 213–225. doi:10.1016/S0883-9026(96)00065-1. CrossRef
- Kreiser, P. M., Marino, L. D., & Weaver, K. M. (2002). Assessing the psychometric properties of the entrepreneurial orientations scale: a multi-country analysis. Entrepreneurship:Theory and Practice, 26, 71–94.
- Hemelgor, B. (2002). A competitive analysis of corporate entrepreneurial orientation between selected firms in the Netherlands and the USA. Entrepreneurship & Regional Development, 14, 67–87. doi:10.1080/08985620110087023. CrossRef
- Hughes, M., & Morgan, R. (2006). Deconstructing the relationship between entrepreneurial orientation and business performance at the embryonic stage of firm growth. Industrial Marketing Management, 36, 651–661. doi:10.1016/j.indmarman.2006.04.003. CrossRef
- Kao, I. (2009). Tapping the world’s innovation hot spots. Harvard Business Review, (March), 109−113.
- Lee, S., & Peterson, S. (2000). Culture, entrepreneurial orientation, and global competitiveness. Journal of World Business, 35(4), 401–416. doi:10.1016/S1090-9516(00)00045-6. CrossRef
- Lee, L., & Sukoco, B. (2007). The effect of entrepreneurial orientation and knowledge management capability on organizational effectiveness in Taiwan: the moderating role of social capital. International Journal of Management, 24(3), 549–572.
- Lee, S., & Lim, S. (2008). Entrepreneurial orientation and performance of service business, Service Business. International Journal (Toronto, Ont.), 3(1), 1–13.
- Lee, S., Chang, D., & Lim, S. (2005). Impact of entrepreneurship education: A comparative study of the US and Korea. The International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, 1(1), 27–43. doi:10.1007/s11365-005-6674-2. CrossRef
- Lee, S., Lim, S., Pathak, R., Chang, D., & Li, W. (2006). Influences on students attitudes toward entrepreneurship: a multi-country study. The International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal, 2(3), 351–366. doi:10.1007/s11365-006-0003-2. CrossRef
- Levenburg, N. M., & Schwarz, T. (2008). Entrepreneurial orientation among the youth of India:The impact of culture, education and environment. Journal of Entrepreneurship, 17(1), 15–35. doi:10.1177/097135570701700102. CrossRef
- Lumpkin, G. T., & Dess, G. G. (1996). Clarifying the entrepreneurial orientation construct and linking it to performance. Academy of Management Review, 21(1), 135–172. doi:10.2307/258632. CrossRef
- Marino, L., Strandholm, K., Steensma, H. K., & Weaver, K. M. (2002). The moderating effect of national culture on the relationship between entrepreneurial orientation and strategic alliance portfolio extensiveness. Entrepreneurship: Theory and Practice, 26, 145–160.
- MECD.Annual Report. (2006). Putrajaya: Government Printers.
- Miller, D. (1983). The correlates of entrepreneurship in three types of firms. Management Science, 29(7), 770–791. doi:10.1287/mnsc.29.7.770. CrossRef
- National Federation of Independent Business.(2008) accessed at http://www.nfib.com/object/IO_27804.html on September 25, 2008
- Tarabishy, A., Solomon, G., Fernald, L., & Saghkin, M. (2005). The entrepreneurial leader’s impact on the organization’s performance in dynamic markets. Journal of Private Equity, (Fall), 20–29.
- The US Census Bureau (2007), 2007 American Community Survey 1-Year Estimate.
- Wikilund, J. (1999). The sustainability of the entrepreneurial orientation-performance relationship. Entrepreneurship: Theory and Practice, 24, 37–48.
- Culture and entrepreneurial orientation: a multi-country study
International Entrepreneurship and Management Journal
Volume 7, Issue 1 , pp 1-15
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Entrepreneurial orientation
- Cross-cultural study
- Multi-country study
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Management, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 209 CBA, Lincoln, NE, 68588-0491, USA
- 2. Bill Greehey School of Business, St. Mary’s University, San Antonio, TX, USA
- 3. Department of Management & Public Administration, University of the South Pacific, Suva, Fiji