Outage Probability Analysis of Cooperative Diversity Networks Over Weibull and Weibull-Lognormal Channels
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper presents the analysis of outage probability for a cooperative diversity wireless network using amplify-and-forward relays over independent non-identical distributed Weibull and Weibull-lognormal fading channels for single as well as multiple relays. To reach that end, a closed-from expression for the moment-generating function of the total signal-to-noise-ratio (SNR) at the destination is derived in terms of the tabulated Meijer’s G-function. Since it is hard to determine the exact probability distribution function of the SNR, a tight lower bound approximation is proposed. Simulation results are presented that show that the outage probability lower bound tends to be tight at high SNR values thus verifying the analytical results. The results also show the potential gain of relaying on the outage probability.
- Laneman J. N., Tse D. N. C., Wornell G. W. (2004) Cooperative diversity in wireless networks efficient protocols and outage behaviour. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory 50(12): 3062–3080 CrossRef
- Laneman, J. N., & Wornell, G. (2000). Energy-efficient antenna sharing and relaying for wireless networks. In Proceedings of wireless communications and networking conference (Vol. 1, pp. 3062–3080).
- Laneman, J. N., & Wornell, G. (2002). Distributed space-time coded protocols for exploiting cooperative diversity in wireless networks. In Proceedings of global telecommunication conference (Vol. 1, pp. 77–81).
- Mark J. W., Zhuang W. (2003) Wireless communications and networking. Prentice-Hall, Upper Saddle River, NJ
- Jiang H., Zhuang W., Shen X., Bi Q. (2006) Quality-of-service provisioning and efficient resource utilization in CDMA cellular communications. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications 24(1): 4–15 CrossRef
- Patel C., Stuber G., Pratt T. (2006) Statistical properties of amplify and forward relay fading channels. IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology 55(1): 1–9 CrossRef
- Kwasinski A., Liu K. (2008) Source-channel-cooperation tradeoffs for adaptive coded communications. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications 7(9): 3347–3358 CrossRef
- Karagiannidis G. K. (2006) Performance bounds of multihop wireless communications with blind relays over generalized fading channels. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications 5: 498–503
- Karagiannidis G. K. (2004) Moments-based approach to the performance analysis of equal-gain diversity in Nakagami-m fading. IEEE Transactions on Communications 52: 685–690 CrossRef
- Hasna M. O., Alouini M.-S. (2003) End-to-end performance of transmission systems with relays over Rayleigh-fading channels. IEEE Transactions on Wirless Communications 2: 1126–1131 CrossRef
- Hasna M. O., Alouini M.-S. (2003) Outage probability of multihop transmission over Nakagami fading channels. IEEE Communications Letters 7: 216–218 CrossRef
- Boyer, J. (2001). Multihopwireless communications channels. M.Sc. thesis, Carleton University, Ottawa, ON, Canada.
- Ding H., Ge J., da Costa D. B., Guo Y. (2011) Outage analysis for multiuser two-way relaying in mixed Rayleigh and Rician fading. IEEE Communications Letters 15: 410–412 CrossRef
- Gao Y., Ge J., Han C. (2011) Performance analysis of differential modulation and relay selection with detect-and-forward cooperative relaying. IEEE Communications Letters 15: 323–325 CrossRef
- Chu S.-I. (2011) Performance of amplify-and-forward cooperative communications with the Nth best-relay selection scheme over Nakagami-m fading channels. IEEE Communications Letters 15: 172–174 CrossRef
- Sagias N. C., Karagiannidis G. K. (2005) Gaussian class multivariate Weibull distributions: Theory and applications in fading channels. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory 51: 3608–3619 CrossRef
- Alouini, M. S., & Simon, M. K. (2001). Performance of generalized selection combining over Weibull fading channels. In Proceedings of IEEE vehicuar technology conference, Atlantic City, NJ (pp. 1735–1739).
- Sagias N. C., Zogas D. A., Karagiannidis G. K., Tombras G. S. (2003) Performance analysis of switched diversity receivers in Weibull fading. Electronics Letters 39: 1472–1474 CrossRef
- Sagias N. C., Mathiopoulos P. T., Tombras G. S. (2003) Selection diversity receivers signal-to-noise ratio. Electronics Letters 39: 1859–1860 CrossRef
- Ikki, S. S., & Ahmed, M. H. (2009). Performance analysis of dual hop relaying over non-identical Weibull fading channels. IEEE 69th Vehicular Technology Conference, 2009. VTC Spring 2009. 26–29 April 2009, 1–5.
- Ribeiro, A., Cai, X., & Giannakis, G. B. (2005). Symbol error probabilities for general cooperative links. IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, 4(3), 1264–1273.
- Ikki S., Ahmed M. H. (2007) Performance analysis of cooperative diversity wireless networks over Nakagami-m fading channel. IEEE Communications Letters 11(4): 334–336 CrossRef
- Laneman, J. N. (2002). Cooperative diversity in wireless networks: Algorithms and architectures. Ph.D. dissertation, Mass. Inst. Technol., Cambridge, MA.
- Sendonaris A., Erkip E., Aazhang B. (2003) User cooperation diversity—part I: System description. IEEE Transactions on Communications 51(11): 1927–1938 CrossRef
- Karagiannidis G. K., Tsiftsis T. A., Mallik R. K. (2006) Bounds of multihop relayed communications in Nakagami-m fading. IEEE Transactions on Communications 54: 18–22 CrossRef
- Hasna, M. O., & Alouini, M.-S. (2004). Harmonic mean and end-to-end performance of transmission systems with relays. IEEE Transactions on Communications 52(1), 130–135.
- Tsiftsis, T. A., Karagiannidis, G. K., Kotsopoulos, S. A., & Pavlidou, F.-N. (2004). BER analysis of collaborative dual-hop wireless transmissions. IEE Electronics Letters, 40(11), 679–681.
- Simon M. K., Alouini M.-S. (2005) Digital communication over fading channels (2nd ed.). Wiley, New York
- Bletsas, A., Khisti, A., Reed, D. P., & Lippman, A. (2006). A simple cooperative diversity method based on network path selection. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 24(3), 659–672.
- Wang, T., Cano, A., Giannakis, G. B., & Laneman, N. (2007). Highperformance cooperative demodulation with decode-and-forward relays. IEEE Transactions on Communications (accepted for publication).
- Cheng J., Tellambura C., Beaulieu N. C. (2004) Performance of digital linear modulations on Weibull slow-fading channels. IEEE Transactions on Communications 52(8): 1265–1268 CrossRef
- Gradshteyn I. S., Ryzhik I. M. (2007) Table of integrals, series and products (7th ed.). Academic Press, San Diego
- Abate, J., & Whitt, W. (1995). Numerical inversion of Laplace transform of probability distribution. ORSA Journal on Computing, 7(1), 36–43.
- Ko, Y.-C., Alouini, M.-S., & Simon, M. K. (2000). Outage probability of diversity systems over generalized fading channels. IEEE Transactions on Communications, 48(11), 1783–1787.
- Adamchik, V. S., & Marichev, O. I. (1990). The algorithm for calculating integrals of hypergeometric type functions and its realization in REDUCE system. In Proceedings of international conference on symbolic and algebraic computing, Tokyo, Japan (pp. 212–224).
- Outage Probability Analysis of Cooperative Diversity Networks Over Weibull and Weibull-Lognormal Channels
Wireless Personal Communications
Volume 70, Issue 2 , pp 695-708
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Outage probability
- Cooperative diversity
- Weibull fading
- Weibull-lognormal fading
- Industry Sectors