MIMO Channel Characterization for Short Range Fixed Wireless Propagation Environments
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper reports results from wideband MIMO measurements performed in short range fixed wireless environments at 5.2 GHz. The objective is to provide MIMO channel characterization results for the measured environments and contribute to the limited available similar studies. Two kinds of propagation scenarios are investigated, rooftop to rooftop and street to rooftop, at three different sites always under LOS propagation conditions. The analysis of measurement data is performed in the context of non physical modeling, providing insight into the statistics of the measured channels. In particular, the slow time varying nature of the channel is studied and the narrow Doppler spectrum shape is approximated. Furthermore, frequency correlation results are obtained and the typical delay dispersion measures are extracted. Then, the antenna correlation is studied and the error of the Kronecker product approximation is evaluated. Finally, capacity results are provided and the channel measurements are characterized in terms of spatial multiplexing quality and multipath richness through condition number analysis.
- G.J. Foschini and M.J. Gans, “On limits of wireless communications in fading environements when using multiple antennas”, Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 6, pp. 331–335, 1998.
- J.P. Kermoal, P.E. Mogensen, S.H. Jensen, J.B. Andersen, F. Frederiksen, T.B. Sorensen, and K.I. Pedersen, “Experimental Investigation of Multipath Richness for Multi-element Transmit and Receive Antenna Arrays”, Vehicular Technology Conference, 2000, Spring, Vol. 3, pp. 2004–2008, Tokyo, May 2000.
- R.S. Thoma, D. Hampicke, M. Landmann, C. Schneider, G. Sommerkorn, and A. Richter, “MIMO Channel Sounding and Double-Directional Modelling” XXVIIth URSI General Assembly, Maastricht, NL, August 2002.
- K. Kalliola, H. Laitinen, P. Vainikainen, M. Toeltsch, J. Laurila, and E. Bonek, “3-D double-directional radio channel characterization for urban macrocellular applications”, IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 11, pp. 3122–3133, Nov. 2003.
- J.W. Wallace, M.A. Jensen, A.L. Swindlehurst, and B.D. Jeffs, “Experimental Characterization of the MIMO Wireless Channel: Data acquisition and Analysis”, IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 2, No. 2, pp.335–343, March 2003.
- D. Chizhik, J. Ling, P.W. Wolniansky, R.A. Valenzuela, N. Costa, and K. Huber, “Multiple-input-multiple-output measurements and modeling in Manhattan”, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 21, No. 3, pp. 321–331, April 2003.
- D.S. Baum, D. Gore, R. Nabar, S. Panchanathan, K.V.S. Hari, V. Erceg, and A.J. Paulraj, “Measurement and Characterization of broadband MIMO Fixed Wireless Channels at 2.5GHz”, Proc. of IEEE ICPWC'O, Hyderabad, pp. 203–206, Dec. 2000.
- J.P. Kermoal, L. Schumacher, K.I. Pedersen, P.E. Mogensen, and F. Frederiksen, “A Stochastic MIMO Radio Channel Model With Experimental Validation”, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 20, No. 6, August 2002.
- K. Yu, M. Bengtsson, B. Ottersten, D.P. McNamara, P. Karlsson, and M. Beach, “Modeling of wide-band MIMO radio channels based on NLoS indoor measurements”, IEEE Trans. on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 33, No. 3, pp. 655–665, May 2004.
- B.H. Fleury, P. Jourdan and A. Stucki, “High-resolution channel parameter estimation for MIMO applications using the SAGE algorithm”, Int. Zurich Seminar, February, 2002.
- A. Richter, D. Hampicke, G. Sommerkorn, and R.S. Thoma, “MIMO Measurement and Joint M-D Parameter Eestimation of Mobile Radio Channels” Vehicular Technology Conference, 2001, Spring, Vol. 1, pp. 214–218, May 2001.
- M. A. Jensen and J. W. Wallace, “A Review of Antennas and Propagation for MIMO Wireless Communications” Invited Review Article, to appear in IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, 2004.
- K. Yu and B. Ottersten, “Models for MIMO Propagation Channels, A Review”, Wiley Journal on Wireless Communications and Mobile Computing, Vol. 2, No. 7, Nov 2002, pp. 653–666.
- A.F. Molisch, “A generic model for MIMO wireless propagation channels in macro- and microcells”, IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 52, No 1, pp. 61–71. Jan. 2004.
- C. Oestges, V. Erceg, and A.J. Paulraj, “A Physical Scattering Model for MIMO Macrocellular Broadband Wireless Channels”, IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, Vol. 21, No. 5, pp. 721–729, June 2003.
- R.S. Thoma, D. Hampicke, A. Richter, G. Sommerkorn, and U. Trautwein, “MIMO Vector Channel Sounder Measurement for Smart Antenna System Evaluation”, ETT – European Transactions on Telecommunications, Special Issue on Smart Antennas, vol. 12, No. 5, Sept. 2001, pp. 377–391.
- K. Pensel and J.A. Nossek, “Uplink and Downlink calibration of an antenna array in a Mobile Communication System”, COST 259, 3rd Meeting, TD-58, Lisbon Portugal, Sept 1997.
- M. Steinbauer, A.F. Molisch, D. Bouras, and T. Mathiopoulos, “Data Processing Algorithms”, Deliverable D2/1, METAMORP Project.
- K.I. Pedersen, P.E. Mogensen, and B.H. Fleury, “A Stochastic Model of the Temporal and Azimuthal Dispersion Seen at the Base Station in Outdoor Propagation Environments”, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 49, No. 2, pp. 437–447, March 2000.
- S. Thoen, L. Van der Perre, and M. Engels, “Modeling the Channel Time-Variance for Fixed Wireless Communications”, IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 6, No. 8, pp. 331–333, Aug. 2002.
- V. Erceg et al., “Channel Models for Fixed Wireless Applications”, IEEE 802.16.1c-01/29r4, July 2001.
- A. Domazetovic, L.J. Greenstein, N.B. Mandayam, and I. Seskar, “Estimating the Doppler Spectrum of a Short-Range Fixed Wireless Channel”,IEEE Communications Letters, Vol. 7, No. 5, pp. 227–229, May 2003.
- A.F. Molisch and M. Steinbauer, “Condensed Parameters for Characterizing Wideband Mobile Radio Channels”, International Journal of Wireless Information Networks, Vol. 6, No. 3, 1999, pp. 133–153.
- K. Yu, M. Bengtsson, B. Ottersten, D. McNamara, P. Karlsson, and M. Beach, “Second Order Statistics of NLOS Indoor MIMO Channels Based on 5.2 GHz Measurements”, IEEE Globecom 2001, Vol. 1, pp. 156–160, 2001.
- M. Haardt, “Efficient One-, Two-, and Multidimensional High-Resolution Array Signal Processing”, Aachen: Shaker-Verlag, 1997, ISBN 3-8265-220-6.
- H. Ozcelik, M. Herdin, W. Weichselberger, J. Wallace, and E. Bonek, “Deficiencies of Kronecker MIMO Radio Channel Model”, Electronic Letters, Vol. 39, No. 16, pp. 1209–1210, 2003.
- M. Steinbauer, A.F. Molisch, and E. Bonek, “The Double Directional Radio Channel”, IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 43, No. 4, August 2001.
- P. Kyritsi, R.A. Valenzuela, and D.C. Cox, “Channel and Capacity Estimation Errors”, IEEE Communications Letters, Vol.6, No.12, pp. 517–519, December 2002.
- P. Almers, F. Tufvesson, O. Edfors, and A.F. Molisch, “Measured Capacity Gain Using Waterfilling in frequency Selective MIMO Channels”, Proc. of International Symposium on Personal, Indoor and Mobile Communications 2002, 15–18 Sep. 2002, Vol. 3, pp. 1347–1351.
- N. Skentos, A.G. Kanatas, G. Pantos, and P. Constantinou, “Capacity Results from Short Range Fixed MIMO Measurements at 5.2 GHz in Urban Environment”, Proc. of IEEE International Conf. on Communications 2004, 20–24 June 2004, Vol. 5, pp. 3020–3024.
- V. Erceg, P. Soma, D. Baum, and A. Paulraj, “Capacity obtained from MIMO Channel Measurements in Fixed Wireless Environments at 2.5 GHz”, Proc. of IEEE International Conf. on Communications 2002, Vol. 1, pp. 396–400.
- I. Dagres, A. Zalonis, C. Fragouli, I. Krikidis, A. Levisianos, A. Polydoros, A.S. Gallo, and G.M. Vitetta, “Design Criteria for Joint Space-Time-Frequency Codes operating over MIMO channels”, Deliverable 2D2, IST-STINGRAY project, May 2004.
- H. Sampath, S. Talwar, J. Tellado, V. Erceg, and A. Paulraj, “Fourth-Generation MIMO-OFDM Broadband Wireless System: Design, Performance, and Field Trial Results”, IEEE Communications Magazine, September 2002, pp. 143–149.
- R.W. Heath Jr. and A. Paulraj, “Characterization of MIMO Channels for Spatial Multiplexing Systems” Proc. of IEEE International Conf. on Communications, Helsinki, Finland, June 11–14, 2001, Vol. 2, pp. 591–595.
- A.J. Paulraj, R. Nabar, and D. Gore, “Introduction to Space-Time Wireless Communications”, Cambridge University Press, 2003.
- N. Kita, W. Yamada, A. Sato, D. Mori, and S. Uwano, “Measurement of Demmel Condition Number for MIMO 2 × 2 MIMO-OFDM Broadband Channels”, Proc. of IEEE Vehicular Technology Conf. Spring 2004, Milan, Italy.
- MIMO Channel Characterization for Short Range Fixed Wireless Propagation Environments
Wireless Personal Communications
Volume 36, Issue 4 , pp 339-361
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- multiple input multiple output channels
- channel characterization
- coherence measures
- Doppler spectrum
- fading correlation
- channel capacity
- condition number
- fixed wireless.
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Mobile Radio Communications Laboratory, School of Electrical & Computer Engineering, National Technical University of Athens, 9 Heroon Polytechniou St., Zografou, GR 15773, Athens, Greece
- 2. Department of Technology Education & Digital Systems, University of Piraeus, 80 Karaoli & Dimitriou St., 18534, Piraeus, Greece
- 3. Emerging Technologies and Markets, INTRACOM Hellenic Telecommunications and Electronics Industry S.A., Markopoulo Avenue 19002 Peania, Attica, Greece