An efficient algorithm for scheduling in bluetooth piconets and scatternets
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Bluetooth is a short-range radio technology operating in the unlicensed industrial-scientific-medical (ISM) band at 2.45 GHz. A piconet is basically a collection of slaves controlled by a master. A scatternet, on the other hand, is established by linking several piconets together in an ad hoc fashion to yield a global wireless ad hoc network. This paper proposes a scheduling policy that aims to achieve increased system throughput and reduced packet delays while providing reasonably good fairness among all traffic flows in bluetooth piconets and scatternets. We propose a novel algorithm for scheduling slots to slaves for both piconets and scatternets using multi-layered parameterized policies. Our scheduling scheme works with real data and obtains an optimal feedback policy within prescribed parameterized classes of these by using an efficient two-timescale simultaneous perturbation stochastic approximation (SPSA) algorithm. We show the convergence of our algorithm to an optimal multi-layered policy. We also propose novel polling schemes for intra- and inter-piconet scheduling that are seen to perform well. We present an extensive set of simulation results and performance comparisons with existing scheduling algorithms. Our results indicate that our proposed scheduling algorithm performs better overall on a wide range of experiments over the existing algorithms for both piconets (Das et al. in INFOCOM, pp. 591–600, 2001; Lapeyrie and Turletti in INFOCOM conference proceedings, San Francisco, US, 2003; Shreedhar and Varghese in SIGCOMM, pp. 231–242, 1995) and scatternets (Har-Shai et al. in OPNETWORK, 2002; Saha and Matsumot in AICT/ICIW, 2006; Tan and Guttag in The 27th annual IEEE conference on local computer networks(LCN). Tampa, 2002). Our studies also confirm that our proposed scheme achieves a high throughput and low packet delays with reasonable fairness among all the connections.
- Bhatnagar, S. (2005) Adaptive multivariate three-timescale stochastic approximation algorithms for simulation based optimization. ACM Transactions on Modeling and Computer Simulation 15: pp. 74-107 CrossRef
- Bhatnagar, S. (2005) Adaptive Newton-based multivariate smoothed functional algorithms for simulation optimization. ACM Transactions on Modeling and Computer Simulation 17: pp. 2-1235
- Bhatnagar, S., Borkar, V. S. (1998) A two time scale stochastic approximation scheme for simulation based parametric optimization. Probability in the Engineering and Informational Sciences 12: pp. 519-531 CrossRef
- Bhatnagar, S., Fu, M. C., Marcus, S. I., Bhatnagar, S. (2001) Two timescale algorithms for simulation optimization of hidden Markov models. IIE Transactions 33: pp. 245-258
- Bhatnagar, S., Fu, M. C., Marcus, S. I., Wang, I.-J. (2003) Two-timescale simultaneous perturbation stochastic approximation using deterministic perturbation sequences. ACM Transactions on Modeling and Computer Simulation 13: pp. 180-209 CrossRef
- Chaturvedi, V. P, Rakesh, V., & Bhatnagar, S. (2007). An efficient and optimized bluetooth scheduling algorithm for piconets. In Janowski, T. & Mohanty, H. (Eds.), Proceedings of ICDCIT, LNCS (Vol. 4882, pp. 19–30).
- Blueware: bluetooth simulator for ns. http://www.nms.lcs.mit.edu/projects/blueware.
- Capone, A., Gerla, M., & Kapoor, R. (2001). Efficient polling schemes for bluetooth picocells. In IEEE ICC’01 (pp. 1990–1994).
- Daniele, M., Andrea, Z., Gianfranco, L. (2004) Performance evaluation of bluetooth polling schemes: An analytical approach. MONET 9: pp. 63-72
- Das, A., Ghose, A., Razdan, A., Saran, H., & Shorey, R. (2001). Enhancing performance of asynchronous data traffic over the bluetooth wireless ad-hoc network. In INFOCOM (pp. 591–600).
- Har-Shai, L., Kofman, R., Zussman, G., & Segall, A. (2002). Inter-piconet scheduling in bluetooth scatternets. In OPNETWORK.
- Hirsch, M. W. (1989) Convergent activation dynamics in continuous time networks. Neural Networks 2: pp. 331-349 CrossRef
- Johnsson, P., Johansson, N., Korner, U., Elgg, J., & Svennarp, G. (1999). Short range radio based adhoc networking: Performance and properties. In Proceedings of ICC’99. Vancouver.
- Johnsson, P., Kapoor, R., Kazantzidis, M., & Gerla, M. (2002). Rendezvous scheduling in bluetooth scatternets. In Proceedings of IEEE international conference on communications ICC 2002 (pp. 318–324). New York.
- Johansson, N., Korner, U., & Johansson, P. (2000). Performance evaluation of scheduling algorithms for bluetooth. In Broadband communications: Convergence of network technologies (pp. 139–150). Dordrecht: Kluwer.
- Johansson, N., Alriksson, F., & Jönsson, U. (2001). JUMP mode—a dynamic window-based scheduling framework for bluetooth scatternets. In Proceedings 2001 ACM International Symposium on mobile ad hoc networking and computing (pp. 204–211). Long Beach, CA.
- Kalia, M., Garg, S., & Shorey, R. (2000). Efficient policies for increasing capacity in bluetooth: In indor pico-cellular wireless system. In IEEE vehicular technology conference. Tokyo.
- Lapeyrie, J. B., & Turletti, T. (2003). FPQ: A fair and efficient polling algorithm with QoS support for bluetooth piconet. In INFOCOM conference proceedings. San Francisco, US.
- Misić, V. B, Misić, J. (2003) Adaptive inter-piconet scheduling in small scatternets. ACM—Mobile Computing and Communication Review 7: pp. 45-58 CrossRef
- MiSić, J., Misić, V. B. (2005) Performance modelling and analysis of bluetooth networks. Auerbach Publications, Boston, USA
- Law, C., Mehta, A. K., & Siu, K.-Y. (2001). Performance of a new bluetooth scatternet formation protocol. In ACM Symposium on mobile ad hoc networking and computing. Long Beach, CA.
- Misić, J., Misić, V. B., Chan, K. L. (2005) Talk and let talk: Performanceof bluetooth piconets with synchronous traffic. Elsevier Ad hoc Networks 3: pp. 451-477 CrossRef
- Patro, R. K., Bhatnagar, S. (2009) A probabilistic constrained nonlinear optimization framework to optimize RED parameters. Performance Evaluation 66: pp. 81-104 CrossRef
- Racz, A., Malklos, G., Kubinszky, F., & Valko, A. (2001). A pseudo random coordinated scheduling algorithm for bluetooth scatternets. In ACM Symposium on mobile ad hoc networking and computing. Long Beach, CA.
- Saha, S., & Matsumoto, M. (2006). An inter-piconet scheduling algorithm for bluetooth scatternets. In AICT/ICIW.
- Shreedhar, M., & Varghese, G. (1995). Efficient fair queueing using deficit round robin. In SIGCOMM (pp. 231–242).
- Spall, J. C. (1992) Multivariate stochastic approximation using a simultaneous perturbation gradient approximation. EEE Transactions on Automatic Control 37: pp. 332-341 CrossRef
- Spall, J. C. (1997) A one-measurement form of simultaneous perturbation stochastic approximation. Automatica 33: pp. 109-112 CrossRef
- Tan, G., Miu, A., Balakrishnan, H., & Guttag, J. (2002). An efficient scatternet formation algorithm for dynamic environments. In IASTED international conference on communications and computer networks (CCN02), Cambridge, MA.
- Tan, G., & Guttag, J. (2002). A locally coordinated scatternet scheduling algorithm. In The 27th annual IEEE conference on local computer networks (LCN). Tampa, FL.
- Tan. G. (2002). Self-organizing bluetooth scatternets. Master’s thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Jan. 2002.
- Zaruba, G., Basagni, S., & Chlamtac, I. (2001). Bluetrees-scatternet formation to enable bluetooth-based ad hoc networks. In IEEE international conference on communications (pp. 273–277)
- Zhu, H., Cao, G., Kesidis, G., & Das, C. (2002). An adaptive power conserving service discipline for bluetooth. In IEEE international conference on communications. New York, NY.
- An efficient algorithm for scheduling in bluetooth piconets and scatternets
Volume 16, Issue 7 , pp 1799-1816
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Optimal parameterized scheduling
- Polling scheme
- Two-timescale SPSA
- Industry Sectors