Optimal aggregation factor and clustering under delay constraints in aggregate sequential group paging schemes
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper considers several optimization problems of sequential paging with aggregation mechanism which has been shown to reduce significantly the paging cost of a wireless communication system. An important problem is to find the optimal aggregation factor subject to a constraint on the average paging delay. Another problem is, given a cost function that depends on both paging cost and paging delay, how to find the optimal aggregation factor to minimize that cost function. We have formulated and shown that these can be solved nicely due to the monotonicity and convexity of the average paging cost function and paging delay function. We demonstrate that the optimization problems of the aggregate factor and subnet clustering are not separable. This leads to joint optimization problems of aggregation factor and clustering that are investigated in this paper. The paper presents different algorithms to solve these joint optimization problems using the monotonicity in the aggregation factor and the number of clusters of the average paging cost and delay with the unconstrained optimal clustering and the structures of the constrained optimal clustering.
- Perkins, C. E. (2002). Mobile IP. IEEE Communications Magazine, May 1997, updated version, IEEE Communications Magazine.
- Zhang, X., Castellanos, J., Campbell, A. (2002). Design and performance of mobile IP paging, ACM mobile networks and applications (MONET). Special Issue on Modeling Analysis and Simulation of Wireless and Mobile Systems, 7(2), 127–141.
- Ramjee, R., Li, L., Porta, T. L., & Kasera, S. (2002). IP paging services for mobile hosts. Wireless Networks, 8, 427–441. CrossRef
- Zhang, T., Li, S.-W., Ohba, Y., & Nakajima, T. (2002). A flexible and scalable IP paging protocol. Proceedings of IEEE GLOBECOM, 1, 630–635.
- Gustafsson, E., Jonrsson, A., Perkin, C. (2000). Mobile IP regional registration. Internet Draft, draft-ietf-mobileip-reg-tunnel-02.txt, March.
- Haverinen, H., Malinen, J. (2000). Mobile IP regional paging. Internet Draft, draft-haverinen-mobileip-reg-paging-00.txt.
- Akyildiz, I. F., Xie, J., Mohanty, S. (2004). A survey of mobility management in next-generation all-IP-based wireless systems. IEEE Wireless Communications, 11(4), 16–28. CrossRef
- Reinbold, P., & Bonaventure, O. (2003). IP micro-mobility protocols. IEEE Communications Survey and Tutorials, 5(1), 40–57. CrossRef
- Liebsch, M., & Lamparter, B. (2005). A generic IP paging architecture and protocol. Computer Networks, 49, 427–448. CrossRef
- Castellucia, C. (2001). Extending mobile IP with adaptive individual paging: A performance analysis. ACM Mobile Computing and Communication Review, 5(2), 14–26. CrossRef
- Xie, H., Tabbane, S., Goodman, D. J. (1993). Dynamic location area management and performance analysis. In Proceedings of 43rd IEEE Vehicular Technology Conference, pp. 536–539.
- Varsamopoulos, G., & Gupta, S. K. S. (2004). Dynamically adapting registration areas to user mobility and call patterns for efficient location management in PCS networks. IEEE/ACM Transaction on Networking, 12(5), 837–850. CrossRef
- Do, H. T., & Onozato, Y. (2005) IP paging scheme adaptive to mobile host parameters. IEICE Transactions on Fundamentals, E88-A(4), 948–953. CrossRef
- Do, H. T., & Onozato, Y. (2007). A comparison of different paging mechanisms for mobile IP. ACM Journal of Wireless Networks, 13(3), 379–395. CrossRef
- Xie, J. & Akyildiz, I. F. (2002). Novel distributed dynamic location management scheme for minimizing signaling costs in mobile IP. IEEE Transactions on Mobile Computing, 1(3), 163–175. CrossRef
- Choi, T., Kim, L., Nah, J., & Song, J. (2004). Combinatorial mobile IP: A new efficient mobility management using minimized paging and local registration in mobile IP environments. Wireless Networks, 10(3), 311–321. CrossRef
- Rose, C., & Yates, R. (1995). Minimizing the average cost of paging under delay constraints. ACM Journal of Wireless Networks (WINET), 1, 211–219. CrossRef
- Krishnamachari, B., Gau, R.-H., Wicker, S., & Haas, Z. (2004). Optimal sequential paging in cellular wireless networks. ACM Journal of Wireless Networks (WINET), 10, 121–131. CrossRef
- Hung, T. D. & Onozato, Y. (2005). Flexible and effective multi-step ip paging schemes. IEEE 62nd Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC2005-Fall), Vol. 2, pp. 831–835, Sep. 2005, Dallas, Texas, USA.
- Haverinen, H., & Malinen, J. (2006). Method and apparatus for mobile internet protocol regional paging. US Patent 7,142,520, issued Nov. 28, 2006.
- Boyd, S., & Vandenberghe, L. (2004). Convex optimization. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Shaked, M., & George Santhikumar, J. (2006). Stochastic orders (1st ed.). Berlin: Springer.
- Optimal aggregation factor and clustering under delay constraints in aggregate sequential group paging schemes
Volume 16, Issue 5 , pp 1427-1446
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- IP paging
- Paging cost
- Paging delay
- Joint optimization
- Convex optimization
- Industry Sectors