Effects on performance of growing pigs fed diets containing different levels of dried cashew pulp
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The purpose was to investigate the use of dried cashew pulp (DrCP), the sun-dried residue after juice has been extracted from the cashew apple, as a feed ingredient in growing pig diets. The growth rate, feed intake, feed to gain ratio and cost of gain of grower pigs fed diets containing 0 (0DrCP), 100 (100DrCP), 150 (150DrCP) or 200 (200DrCP) g kg−1 of dried cashew pulp was investigated in a feeding trial set up as a Completely randomized design with 4 treatments replicated 3 times and lasting 112 days. There were no significant differences (P > 0.05) among treatments in the parameters measured. It was concluded that dried cashew pulp could be used in growing pig diets up to a level of 200 g kg−1 without any deleterious effects. Future work will look at higher levels of DrCP inclusion in the diets of growing pigs.
- Adomako, D., Osei-Amaning, E. and Asante, E.G. 1999. Compound Animal Feeds based on cocoa pod husk. Tropical Science, 39, 120–123.
- Association of Official Analytical Chemists (AOAC) 2000. Official Methods of Analysis of the Association of Official Analytical Chemists, 17th Edition. Gaithersburg, MD.
- Attoh-Kotoku, V., Donkoh, A., Osafo, E.L.K. and Osei, J. 2007. Varying levels of maize bran in diets on the performance and carcass characteristics of starter-grower pigs. In: Okai, D.B. and Boateng, M. (eds), Proceedings of the 15th Biennial Conference of the Ghana Society for Animal Production, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana, 1st – 4th August, 2007. 169–173.
- Barnes, A.R., Amega, W.K., Manu, M. and Rhule, T. 1985. Utilisation of cocoa husk meal by growing finishing pigs. In: Djiekpor, E.K. and Cilas, C.A. (eds), Proceedings of the 9th International Cocoa Conference, Lome, Togo, 12th – 18th February, 2004. 449–454.
- Bruce, J., Karbo, N. and Avornyo, F.K. 2004. Changes in pig production in Northern Ghana. In: Bruce J., Avornyo, F.K., and Otchere, E.O. (eds), Proceedings of the 27th Ghana Animal Science Association Symposium, Radach Memorial Conference Centre, Tamale, Ghana, 18th – 21st August, 2004. 99–109.
- Dzogbefia, V.P., Alemawor, F., Oldham, J.H. and Oddoye, E.O.K. 2005. Application of fungal biotechnology: Processing of cocoa pod husk into nutritious animal feed using the oyster mushroom (Pleurotus ostreatus) as bio-catalyst. In: Addae, F.K, Cobblah, M. and Sebuaba, W. (eds.), Proceedings of the 24th Biennial Conference of the Ghana Science Association, University of Ghana, Legon. 1st to 5th August, 2005. 214–219.
- Fanimo, A.O., Oduguwa, O.O., Alade, A.A., Ogunnaike, T.O. and Adesehinwa, A.K. 2003. Growth performance, nutrient digestibility and carcass characteristics of growing rabbits fed cashew apple waste, Livestock Research for Rural Development, 15(8), 1–5. http://www.cipav.org.co
- Fanimo, A.O., Oduguwa, O.O., Adewunmi, T.E. and Lawal, A.I. 2004. Utilization of dies containing cashew-nut reject meal by weaner pigs. Nigerian Journal of Animal Production, 31(1), 22–26.
- Lawes Agricultural Trust (1996). Genstat 5 for personal computers, Version 3.2, 2nd edn, Rothamsted Experimental Station, United Kingdom.
- Oddoye, E.O.K., Takrama, J.F., Owusu Ansah, F. and Johnson V. 2008. Supplementation of grazing cattle: the use of a diet containing graded levels of dried cashew pulp. Bulletin of Animal Health and Production in Africa, 56(2), 136–142.
- Okai, D.B. 1998. Alternative feed resources for pigs in Ghana. (Degraft Graphics and publications, Kumasi, Ghana).
- Okai, D.B. and Bonsi, M.L.K. 1989. Sheanut cake as a substitute for maize in the diets of growing gilts. Journal of the University of Science and Technology, 9, 45–50.
- Rhule, S.W.A. 1995. Performance of weaner pigs on graded levels of palm kernel cake. Legon Agricultural Research and Extension Journal. 4, 105–108.
- Rhule, S.W.A., Okai, D.B., Addo Kwafo and Ameleke, G. 2007. Feeding package for pigs in Ghana using AIBPs: Solution to feeding constraints. In: Okai, D.B. and Boateng, M. (eds), Proceedings of the 15th Biennial Conference of the Ghana Society for Animal Production, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi, Ghana, 1st – 4th August, 2007. 169–173.
- Effects on performance of growing pigs fed diets containing different levels of dried cashew pulp
Tropical Animal Health and Production
Volume 41, Issue 7 , pp 1577-1581
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Dried cashew pulp
- Growing pigs
- Feeding trial
- Industry Sectors