Supplementations of Hyparrhenia rufa -dominated hay with groundnut cake- wheat bran mix: effects on feed intake, digestibility and nitrogen balance of Somali goats
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A digestibility and nitrogen (N) balance experiment was conducted using twenty yearling male Somali goats weighing 23.4 ± 2.02 (mean±SD). The objectives of the study were to evaluate the effects of supplementation with graded levels of mixture of groundnut cake and wheat bran at a ratio of 3:1 on DM basis on feed intake, apparent digestibility and N balance in Somali goats. The experimental design was a completely randomized design consisting of five animals in each treatment. The dietary treatments included ad libitum feeding of hay (T1, control), and daily supplementation with 200 (T2, low) 300 (T3, medium) and 400 g DM (T4, high) of the concentrate mix. Increased level of supplementation reduced (P < 0.001) daily hay DM intake. Digestibility of crude protein (CP) was higher (P < 0.001) for the supplemented goats. Urinary nitrogen, total nitrogen excretion and retention increased (P < 0.01) with the level of supplementation. It was concluded that supplementation with groundnut -wheat bran mixture promoted feed intake and digestibility of DM, CP, and N retention in Somali goats fed hay. However, supplementation at the medium level appeared to be more effective since it promoted similar N balance with the high level of supplementation.
- Abate, D., Melaku, S., 2008. Effect of supplementing urea-treated barley straw with lucerne or vetch hays on feed intake, digestibility and growth of Arsi Bale sheep. Tropical Animal Health and Production. doi: 10.1007/s11250-008-9227-1
- AOAC, 1990. Official Methods of Analysis 15th ed. Association of Official Analytic Chemists. AOAC. (Arlington, USA).
- Ash, A.J. and Norton, B.W., 1987. Studies with the Australian Cashmere goat.II. Growth and digestion in male and female goats given pelleted diets varying in protein content and energy level. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research, 38, 957–969. doi:10.1071/AR9870957 CrossRef
- Beauchemin, K.A., McCelland, A.L., Jones, S.D.M. and Kozub, G.C., 1995. Effect of crude protein content, degradability and energy concentration of the diet on growth and carcass characteristics of market lambs fed high concentrate diets. Canadian Journal of Animal Science, 75, 387–395. CrossRef
- Berhanu, G., 1998. Performance of Somali goats supplemented with different proportions of groundnut cake and wheat bran. MSc Thesis. (Alemaya University, Ethiopia).
- Bonsi, M.L.K., Osuji, P.O., Nsahlai, I.V. and Tuah, A.K., 1994. Graded levels of Sesbania sesban and Leucaena leucocephala as supplements to tef straw given to Ethiopian Menz sheep. Animal Production, 59, 235–244.
- Chowdhury, S.A., 1997. Effect of low levels of Leucaena foliage supplementation on intake, nutrient digestibility and microbial N yield in cattle fed rice straw alone. Asian-Australian Journal of Animal Science, 10, 265–273.
- Daubenmire, R., 1972. Ecology of Hyparrhenia rufa in dry savannah in north western Costa Rica. Journal of Applied Ecology, 9, 11–23. doi:10.2307/2402043 CrossRef
- Devendra, C. and Burns, M., 1983. Goat production in the tropics. Commonwealth Agricultural Bureaux, Farnham Royal, England.
- Drouilard, J.S., Klopfenstein, T.J., Britton, R.A., Bauer, M.L., Gramlich, S.M., Wester, T.J. and Ferrell, C.L., 1991. Growth, body composition, and visceral organ mass and metabolism in lambs during and after metabolizable protein or net energy restriction. Journal of Animal Science, 69, 3357–3375
- Fluharty, F.L. and McClure, K.E., 1997. Effects of dietary energy intake and protein concentration on intakes and visceral organ mass in lambs. Journal of Animal Science, 75, 604–610
- Gihad, E.A., 1976. Intake, digestibility and nitrogen utilization of tropical natural grass hay by goats and sheep. Journal of Animal Science, 43, 879–883.
- Gill, M. and Beever, F.D., 1982. The effect of protein supplementation on digestion and glucose metabolism in young cattle fed on silage. British Journal of Nutrition, 48, 37–47 doi:10.1079/BJN19820085 CrossRef
- Kaitho, R.J., Umunna, N.N., Nsahlai, V.I., Tamminga, S., van Bruchem, J. and Hanson, J., 1997. Palatability of wilted and dried multipurpose tree species fed to sheep and goats. Animal Feed Science and Technology, 65, 151–163. doi:10.1016/S0377-8401(96)01092-9 CrossRef
- McDonald, P., Edwards, R.A., Greenhalgh, J.F.D. and Morgan, C.A., 2002. Animal Nutrition. 6th ed., (Prentice Hall. London).
- Melaku, S., Betsha, S. 2008. Bodyweight and carcass characteristics of Somali goats fed hay supplemented with graded levels of peanut cake and wheat bran mixture. Tropical Animal Health and Production. 40: 553–560 doi:10.1007/s11250-008-9133-6 CrossRef
- Melaku, S., Peters, K.J., Tegegne, A. 2004. Microbial nitrogen supply, nitrogen retention and rumen function in Menz sheep supplemented with dried leaves of multipurpose trees, their mixtures or wheat bran. Small Ruminant Research, 52, 25–36. doi:10.1016/S0921-4488(03)00200-1 CrossRef
- Migongo-Bake, W. and Hansen, M.R., 1987. Seasonal diets of camels, cattle, sheep and goats on a common range in Eastern Africa. Journal of Range Management, 40, 76–79. doi:10.2307/3899366 CrossRef
- Mosi, A.K. and Butterworth, M.H., 1985. The voluntary intake and digestibility of combinations of cereal crop residues and legume hay for sheep. Animal Feed Science and Technology, 12, 241–251. doi:10.1016/0377-8401(85)90001-X CrossRef
- Solomon, M., Melaku, S., Tolera, A., 2008. Supplementation of cottonseed meal on feed intake, digestibility, and body weight and carcass parameters of Sidama goats. Livestock Science, 119, 137–144. doi:10.1016/j.livsci.2008.03.011. CrossRef
- Tolera, A., Sundstøl, F., 2000. Supplementation of graded levels of Desmodium intortum hay to sheep feeding on maize stover harvested at three stages of maturity 2. Rumen fermentation and nitrogen metabolism. Animal Feed Science and Technology, 87, 215–229. doi:10.1016/S0377-8401(00)00205-4 CrossRef
- Urge, M., Dahlborn, K., Olsson, K., 2004. Effect of intermittent watering on dry matter intake and body weight of male Ethiopian Somali goats. Animal Nutrition and Feed Science, 13, 647–650.
- Van Soest, P.J., 1994. Nutritional Ecology of Ruminants. 2nd ed., (Cornell University Press, Ithaca, New York, USA).
- Van Soest, P.J. and Robertson, J.B., 1985. Analysis of forage and fibrous foods. A laboratory manual for Animal Science 613, (Cornell University Press, Ithaca, New York, USA).
- Weiss, E.A., 1983. Oil seed crops. Tropical Agricultural Series. Longman Group Ltd, London.
- Yami, A. 1981. Laboratory evaluation and estimation of nutritive value of some feed stuff produced in the Alemaya Wereda. MSc Thesis, (Alemaya University, Ethiopia).
- Supplementations of Hyparrhenia rufa -dominated hay with groundnut cake- wheat bran mix: effects on feed intake, digestibility and nitrogen balance of Somali goats
Tropical Animal Health and Production
Volume 41, Issue 6 , pp 927-933
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Feed intake
- N- balance
- Groundnut cake
- Somali goats
- Wheat bran
- Industry Sectors