Energy efficient virtual MIMO communication for wireless sensor networks
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Virtual multiple input multiple output (MIMO) techniques are used for energy efficient communication in wireless sensor networks. In this paper, we propose energy efficient routing based on virtual MIMO. We investigate virtual MIMO for both fixed and variable rates. We use a cluster based virtual MIMO cognitive model with the aim of changing operational parameters (constellation size) to provide energy efficient communication. We determine the routing path based on the virtual MIMO communication cost to delay the first node death. For larger distances, the simulation results show that virtual MIMO (2×2) based routing is more energy efficient than SISO (single input single output) and other MIMO variations.
- Alamouti, S. M. (1998). A simple transmit diversity technique for wireless communications. IEEE Journal on Select Areas in Communications, 16(8), 1451–1458. CrossRef
- Chen, W., Xu, C., Yuan, Y., & Liu, K. (2005). Virtual MIMO protocol based on clustering for wireless sensor network. In Proceedings of the 10th symposium on computers and communications (pp. 335–340) March 2005.
- Chen, W., Yuan, Y., Xu, C., Liu, K., & Yang, Z. Virtual MIMO protocol based on clustering for wireless sensor network. In Computers and communications, 2005, ISCC 2005, proceedings, 10th IEEE symposium.
- Cui, S., Goldsmith, A. J., & Bahai, A. (2004). Energy-efficiency of MIMO and cooperative MIMO techniques in sensor networks. IEEE Journal on Selected Areas in Communications, 22(6), 1089–1098. CrossRef
- Cui, S., Goldsmith, A. J., & Bahai, A. (2005). Energy-constrained modulation optimization. IEEE Transaction on Wireless Communication, 4(5), 2349–2360. CrossRef
- Cui, S., Goldsmith, A. J., & Bahai, A. (2006). Cross-layer design of energy-constrained networks using cooperative MIMO techniques. Invited for publication at EURASIP’S Signal Processing Journal, August 2006.
- del Coso, A., Savazzi, S., Spagnolini, U., & Ibars, C. (2006). A simple transmit diversity technique for wireless communications. In Information sciences and systems, 2006 40th annual conference, March 2006.
- He, J.-H., & Wu, X.-H. (2007). Variational iteration method: new development and applications. Computers and Mathematics with Applications, 54, 881–894. CrossRef
- IEEE (2006). 802.15.4 standard for information technology. Part 15.4: Wireless medium access control (MAC) and physical layerPHY specification for low-rate wireless personal area networks (WPANS).
- Jayaweera, S. K. (2004). Energy analysis of MIMO techniques in wireless sensor networks. In 38th Annual conf. on information sciences and systems (CISS 04), Princeton, NJ, Mar. 2004.
- Jayaweera, S. K. (2005). Energy efficient virtual MIMO-based cooperative communications for wireless sensor networks. In 2nd International conf. on intelligent sensing and information processing and information processing (ICISIP’05), Jan. 2005.
- Jayaweera, S. K. (2006). Virtual MIMO-based cooperative communication for energy-constrained wireless sensor networks. IEEE Transaction Wireless Communication, 5(5), 984–989. CrossRef
- Jayaweera, S. K. (2004). An energy-efficient virtual MIMO communications architecture based on V-BLAST processing for distributed wireless sensor networks. In IEEE SECON 2004 (pp. 299–308). doi: 10.1109/SAHON.2004.1381930.
- Liu, W., & Xiaohua Li, M. C. (2005). Energy efficiency of MIMO transmissions in wireless sensor networks with diversity and multiplexing gains. Acoustic, Speech and Signal Processing, 4, 897–900.
- Qing-hua, W., Qu, Y.-g., Lin, Z.-t., & Bai, R.-g. (2007). Protocol for the application of co-operative MIMO based on clustering in sparse wireless sensor networks. The Journal of China Universities of Posts and Telecommunications, 14(2).
- Qing-hua, W., Qu, Y.-g., Lin, Z.-t., Bai, R.-g., Zhao, B.-h., & Pan, Q.-k. (2007). Protocol for the application of cooperative MIMO based on clustering in sparse wireless sensor networks. The Journal of China Universities of Posts and Telecommunications, 14(2).
- Tarokh, V., Seshadri, N., & Calderbank, A. R. (1998). Space-time codes for high data rate wireless communication: performance criterion and code construction. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 44(2), 744–765. CrossRef
- Yuan, Y., He, Z., & Chen, M. (2006). Virtual MIMO-based cross-layer design for wireless sensor networks. IEEE Transaction, Vehicular Technology, 55(3), 856–864. CrossRef
- Yuan, Y., & He, Z. (2006). A novel cluster-based co-operative MIMO scheme for multi-hop wireless sensor networks. EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking, 2006(72493), 1–9. CrossRef
- Zhang, Y., & Dai, H. (2007). Energy-efficiency and transmission strategy selection in cooperative wireless sensor Networks. Journal of Communications and Networks, 9(4), 473–481.
- Zheng, L., & Tse, D.N.C. (2003). Diversity and multiplexing: a fundamental trade-off in multiple antenna channels. IEEE Transactions on Information Theory, 49(4), 1073–1096. CrossRef
- Energy efficient virtual MIMO communication for wireless sensor networks
Volume 42, Issue 1-2 , pp 139-149
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer US
- Additional Links
- Cognitive network
- Virtual MIMO
- Space-time block code
- Data rate
- Industry Sectors