Is school bullying really on the rise?
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Whether bullying in schools is increasing, as is widely believed, was investigated drawing upon empirical studies undertaken in a wide range of countries in which findings had been published describing its prevalence at different points in time between 1990 and 2009. Results do not support the view that reported bullying in general has increased during this period; in fact, a significant decrease in bullying has been reported in many countries. However, there are some indications that cyber bullying, as opposed to traditional bullying, has increased, at least during some of this period. The reported decreases in the prevalence of school bullying are consistent with reports of significant but small reductions in peer victimisation following the implementation of anti-bullying programs in schools world-wide.
- Arseneault L., Bowes L., Shakoor S. (2009) Bullying victimization in youths and mental health problems: “Much ado about nothing”?. Psychological Medicine 29: 1–13
- Cook C. R., Williams K. R., Guerra N. G., Kim T. E. (2010) Variability in the prevalence of bullying and victimization: A cross-national and methodological analysis. In: Jimerson S. R., Swearer S. M., Espelage D. L. (eds) Handbook of bullying in schools: An international perspective. Routledge, New York & London, pp 347–362
- Craig W., Harel-Fisch Y., Fogel-Grinvald H., Dostaler S., Hetland J., Simons-Morton B., Molcho B., Gaspar de Mato M., Overpeck M., Due, P., Pickett W. HBSC Violence & Injuries Prevention Focus Group: (2009) A cross-national profile of bullying and victimization among adolescents in 40 countries. International Journal of Public Health 54(Suppl 2): 216–224 CrossRef
- Cross, D., Epstein, M., Hearn, I., Slee, P. T., Shaw, T., & Monks, H. (2011). National safe schools framework: Policy and practice to reduce bullying in Australian schools. International Journal of Behavioural Development, in press.
- Cross D., Shaw T., Hearn L., Epstein M., Monks H., Lester L., Thomas L. (2009) Australian covert bullying prevalence study (ACBPS). Child Health Promotion Research Centre, Edith Cowan University, Perth
- Del Barrio C, Martín E., Montero I., Gutiérrez H., Barrios A., José de Dios M. (2008) Bullying and social exclusion in Spanish secondary schools: National trends from 1999 to 2006. International Journal of Clinical and Health Psychology 8: 657–677
- Farrington D. P., Ttofi M. M. (2009) Reducing school bullying: Evidence-based implications for policy. Crime and Justice 38: 281–345
- Finkelhor D., Turner H., Ormrod R., Hamby S. L. (2009) Trends in childhood violence and abuse exposure: Evidence from 2 national surveys. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine 164: 238–242 CrossRef
- Gillard, J. (2010). Media Release. 17th Jan, 2010 http://www.appa.asn.au/images/news2010/bullyingresearch20100117.pdf.
- Kim Y. -S., Leventhal B. (2008) Bullying and suicide: A review. International Journal of Adolescent Mental Health 20: 133–154 CrossRef
- Merrell K. W., Gueldner B. A., Ross S. W., Isava D. M. (2008) How effective are school bullying intervention programs? A meta-analysis of intervention research. School Psychology Quarterly 23: 26–42 CrossRef
- Molcho, M., Craig, W., Due, P, Pickett, W., Harel-Fisch, Y., Overpeck, M., & the HBSC Bullying Writing Group (2009). Cross-national time trends in bullying behaviour 1994–2006: findings from Europe and North America. International Journal of Public Health, 54, S1–S10. http://springerlink.com/content/j15430j1x087r023/fulltext.pdfol.
- Monks C., Smith P. K. (2006) Definitions of “bullying”: Age differences in understanding of the term, and the role of experience. British Journal of Developmental Psychology 24: 801–821 CrossRef
- Nansel T. R., Overpeck M., Pilla R. S., Ruan W. J., Simons-Morton B., Scheidt P. (2001) Bullying behaviours among US youth: Prevalence and association with psychosocial adjustment. Journal of American Medical Association 285: 2094–2100 CrossRef
- Neufeld G., Mate G. (2005) Hold on to your kids. Vintage Canada, Toronto
- Ofsted: (2008) Children on bullying. Ofsted, London
- Olweus D. (1993) Bullying at school. Blackwell, Oxford
- Osborn, R. (2007). Bullying is a relationship problem http://www.cornwallhealthyschools.org/documents/Bullying%20as%20a%20relationship%20problem.pdf Downloaded 12/3/10.
- Rigby K. (1998) Manual for the peer relations questionnaire (PRQ). The Professional Reading Guide, Point Lonsdale, Victoria, Australia
- Rigby K (2003) Consequences of bullying in schools. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry 48: 583–590
- Rigby K., Slee P. T. (2008) Interventions to reduce bullying. International Journal of Adolescent Medicine and Health 20: 165–183 CrossRef
- Rivers I., Noret N. (2010) “I h 8 u’: findings from a five-year study of text and email bullying. British Educational Research Journal 36: 643–671 CrossRef
- Roland E., Bru E., Midthassel U. V., Vaasland G. S. (2010) The Zero programme against bullying: Effects of the programme in the context of the Norwegian manifesto against bullying. Social Psychology of Education 13: 41–55 CrossRef
- Roland, E. (2011). The broken curve: Norwegian manifesto against bullying. International Journal of Behavioural Development, in press.
- Samara M, Smith P. K. (2008) How schools tackle bullying, and the use of whole school policies: Changes over the last decade. Educational Psychology 28: 663–676 CrossRef
- Santalahti P., Andre S., Aromaa M., Helenius H., Ikaheimo K., Piha J (2008) Victimization and bullying among 8-year-old Finnish children: A 10-year comparison of rates. European Child Adolescent & Psychiatry 17: 463–472 CrossRef
- Smith P. K., Cowie H., Olafsson R. F., Liefooghe A. P. D. (2002) Definitions of bullying: A comparison of terms used, and age and gender differences, in a fourteen–country international comparison. Child Development 73: 1119–1133 CrossRef
- Smith, P. K., Pepler, D., Rigby, K. (eds) (2004) Bullying in schools: How successful can interventions be?. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge
- Smith P. K., Mahdavi J., Carvalho M., Fisher S., Russell S., Tippett N. (2008) Cyberbullying: Its nature and impact in secondary school pupils. Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 49: 376–385 CrossRef
- Smith P. K., Shu S. (2000) What good schools can do about bullying. Childhood 7: 193–212 CrossRef
- Tellus 3 National Report (2008). http://www.ofsted.gov.uk.
- Tellus 4 National Report (2010). Research Report DCSF-RR218, http://www.teachernet.gov.uk.
- Ttofi, M. M., & Farrington, D. P. (2011). Effectiveness of school-based programs to reduce bullying: A systematic and meta-analytic review. Journal of Experimental Criminology, in press.
- Welsh Assembly: (2010) A survey into the prevalence and incidence of school bullying in Wales. Welsh Assembly Government, Cardiff
- Whitney I., Smith P. K. (1993) A survey of the nature and extent of bullying in junior/middle and secondary schools. Educational Research 35: 3–25 CrossRef
- Wolak, J., Mitchell, K., & Finkelhor, D. (2006). Online victimization of youth: Five years later. Report to National Center for Missing & Exploited Children
- Wolke D., Woods S., Stanford K, Schulz H. (2001) Bullying and victimization of primary school children in England and Germany; prevalence and school factors. British Journal of Psychology 92: 673–696 CrossRef
- World Health Organisation (WHO) (2006). Inequalities in Young People’s Health. http://www.euro.who.int/Document/E91416.pdf.
- Ybarra M. L., Mitchell K. J., Wolak J., Finkelhor D. (2006) Examining characteristics and associated distress related to Internet harassment: Findings from the second Youth Internet safety survey. Pediatrics 118: 1169–1171 CrossRef
- Zaborskis, A., Cirtautien e, L., & Žemaitien e, N. (2005). Bullying in Lithuanian schools in 1994–2002. Medicina (Kaunas) 41(7). http://medicina.kmu.lt.
- Is school bullying really on the rise?
Social Psychology of Education
Volume 14, Issue 4 , pp 441-455
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links
- Cyber bullying
- School children
- Prevalence rate