The education question in theory and the theory question in education—Introduction to the Special Issue
This special issue focuses on educational theory and arose from the First International Theorising Education Conference of the Laboratory for Educational Theory (http://www.theorylab.co.uk), held at the University of Stirling in July 2010. TheoryLab was established as a space for the exploration of the work of theory in educational research and educational practice. There is an emphasis on experimentation, engagement and capacity building and of practices of theorising as critique, intervention and reframing. The conference invited participants to consider the theory question in education and the education question in theory. The conference itself was a lively affair, with participants engaging in some more experimental forms of exchange, which were captured, by them and by us, as ‘lines of flight’ (Deleuze and Guattari 1987, p. 161).
The papers that comprise this special issue capture some of the spirit of experimentation and certainly offer some new lines of flight. Lisbeth Lundahl co
- Allan, J. (2008). Rethinking inclusive education: The philosophers of difference in practice. Dordrecht: Springer.
- Biesta, G. J. J. (2010). Good education in an age of measurement: Ethics, politics, democracy. Boulder, CO: Paradigm.
- Biesta, G. J. J., Allan, J., & Edwards, R. G. (2011). The theory question in research capacity building in education: Towards an agenda for research and practice. British Journal of Educational Studies, 59(3), 225–239. CrossRef
- Deleuze, G., & Guattari, F. (1987). A thousand plateaus: Capitalism and schizophrenia. London: The Athlone Press.
- Ingold, T. (2000). The perception of the environment: essays on livelihood, dwelling and skill. London: Routledge. CrossRef
- Ingold, T. (2011). Being alive. Essays on movement, knowledge and description. London: Routledge.
- The education question in theory and the theory question in education—Introduction to the Special Issue
Studies in Philosophy and Education
Volume 31, Issue 3 , pp 211-213
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Springer Netherlands
- Additional Links